At Dawn (the song) gives me chills....

Started by 710_Ashbury, Nov 15, 2005, 09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

710_Ashbury

At the moment it is by far my favorite MMJ song. Here's what I see in my head when I listen to it and why I love it:

-Awesome intro that makes me feel like I'm floating around inside a spaceship orbiting the moon--->

-Eerie, paranoia inducing, slow drums: When I hear this part I picture myself in the tower of a castle. The slow drums represent footsteps of someone coming slowly up the stairs and then pounding on the door. The door swings open and there stands a man in a dark cloak. He removes his hood just in time to belt out--->

-"At daaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn they ride again..." This part of the songs gives me chills every time. The way the lyrics drop like that is amazing. The slow buildup with the drums gives such a great effect--->

-"They'll haaaaauuuullllllll you out into the street..." At this point I picture a scene from Nazi Germany where the S.S. troops barge into a family's home (at dawn) and force them out into the street.--->

-"They'll burn your papers in your empty trashcan..." The family loses everything to the brutal troops.--->

-Just when you thought Jim's voice couldn't go any higer, here he comes with "Aaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll your life..." I just can't get enough of the reverb.--->

-"Forget the papers. Forget your musical dream" To me it symbolizes "the machine" or whatever you'd like to refer to it as. The powers that be who'd love to see you behave, conform, and consume to keep the machine running smoothly.--->

-"But that's when my knife rises..." Protecting your personal and artistic freedoms at any cost. Rising triumphantly above the skeptics and oppressors to a higher level of consciousness.

There ya have it. I know it may sound a little weird but that's what runs through my head when I hear this song. Try listening to it through headphones with it cranked up to 11. See what kind of images it evokes in your head.You'll be blown away. The simplicity of the song (drums, 3 guitar chords, and a few effects) allows you to focus deeply on it without too many distractions. Maybe you'll be as inspired by this song as I was.

Post your thoughts. I want to see what some other people think. Peace.

whothrewthecake

so true, all of it.
gorgeous song that always gets me.

Clarkwork

It is such a great song.  I love your interpretation of it, mine is completely different, but that is what great music is about.  Everybody can find a different meaning in it.  

I also love the production of this song, it just sounds so great.  
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

SMc55

Quote I love your interpretation of it, mine is completely different, but that is what great music is about.  Everybody can find a different meaning in it.  

So true. As for myself I can't believe how long it took me to get into this song. Lowdown and The WayThat He Sings just grabbed me when I first heard them (I think we've recently talked about this on a thread about introducing people to the band). I used to play those songs over and over again, bypassing At Dawn for a long time. It seems strange because I love it now.

Clarkwork

I was the same way, always skipping ahead to other songs, probably because of the slow build up on At Dawn, but now, it is probably my favorite track on the album.  
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

primushead

I always considered At Dawn to be sort of an Orwellian prophecy, sort of 1984-esque.

They'll burn your papers (perhaps government media taking over independently controlled news sources?)

Forget your musical dreams (Join the masses.  Forget being an individual?)

...my knife rises, their life ends and my life starts again (the revolution takes place!  The people rise up and bring down the man!)

But yeah, I love the hell out of this song.

EC

For me it's about whispers in your head that tell you not to follow your dreams, and how you have to get rid of them.

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteFor me it's about whispers in your head that tell you not to follow your dreams, and how you have to get rid of them.

Hell, I don't need a song for that.... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

tdan

My interpretation is similar to EC's except that I wasn't thinking of it as being about inner voices as much as it was  a response to those practical people who would tell one to stop dreaming and get a real job.  You know, family members, teachers, etc.  Hits me right where it hurts.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

tbone

QuoteAt the moment it is by far my favorite MMJ song. Here's what I see in my head when I listen to it and why I love it:

-Awesome intro that makes me feel like I'm floating around inside a spaceship orbiting the moon--->

-Eerie, paranoia inducing, slow drums: When I hear this part I picture myself in the tower of a castle. The slow drums represent footsteps of someone coming slowly up the stairs and then pounding on the door. The door swings open and there stands a man in a dark cloak. He removes his hood just in time to belt out--->

-"At daaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnnn they ride again..." This part of the songs gives me chills every time. The way the lyrics drop like that is amazing. The slow buildup with the drums gives such a great effect--->

-"They'll haaaaauuuullllllll you out into the street..." At this point I picture a scene from Nazi Germany where the S.S. troops barge into a family's home (at dawn) and force them out into the street.--->

-"They'll burn your papers in your empty trashcan..." The family loses everything to the brutal troops.--->

-Just when you thought Jim's voice couldn't go any higer, here he comes with "Aaaaaaaaallllllllllllllll your life..." I just can't get enough of the reverb.--->

-"Forget the papers. Forget your musical dream" To me it symbolizes "the machine" or whatever you'd like to refer to it as. The powers that be who'd love to see you behave, conform, and consume to keep the machine running smoothly.--->

-"But that's when my knife rises..." Protecting your personal and artistic freedoms at any cost. Rising triumphantly above the skeptics and oppressors to a higher level of consciousness.

There ya have it. I know it may sound a little weird but that's what runs through my head when I hear this song. Try listening to it through headphones with it cranked up to 11. See what kind of images it evokes in your head.You'll be blown away. The simplicity of the song (drums, 3 guitar chords, and a few effects) allows you to focus deeply on it without too many distractions. Maybe you'll be as inspired by this song as I was.

Post your thoughts. I want to see what some other people think. Peace.

F'n A Right Mang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At Dawn is My ALL-TIME FAVORITE song from them... my favorite song off of my FAVORITE record from MMJ....

His voice is HEAVENLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lyrics are beautiful.....

the buildup is..... just insane....

ethereal.....

great call, bro!!!!   8) 8) 8)