BBC Review & Comments

Started by LaurieBlue, Dec 24, 2005, 10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/rockan

My Morning Jacket, Z
(Sony/BMG)
Despite the experimentation and haunting guitar solos this is essentially a pop record, but one that will definitely keep your attention.

My Morning Jacket
Z
(Sony/BMG)

Kentucky's My Morning Jacket have produced a quite wonderful fourth album. Disarmingly eclectic, Z ranges from full on rockers to sun kissed white boy soul.

The band can be found in the same ball park as The Flaming Lips - they clearly share a love of reverb, theremins and wowee zoowee sounds. But this record is more accessible than previous releases; there's even a chorus to be found in some of the tracks here. This might be explained by the fact that the record is co-produced by John Leckie (of Stone Roses and Radiohead fame).

Singer songwriter Jim James is obviously crucial to the band's sound. The fragile intensity of his soulful vocals dominate on tracks like "Lay Low" and "Dondante".

Stand out track "Off The Record" begins with a reggae pop fusion that's reminiscent of The Clash before merging into a mellotron fuelled prog session that would make Pink Floyd fume with envy.

Despite the experimentation and haunting guitar solos this is essentially a pop record, but one that will definitely keep your attention.

Epic and remarkably loveable.

Reviewer: Dan Tallis

Like This? Try These:
Spiritualized, Amazing Grace
South, With The Tides
Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Read other people's comments then Tell us what you think:

The last album, It still moves was quite simply GROOOOOOOOVEY!!!!! Can't wait to hear this one.
DAVE

You're going to be in for a surprise...this new album sounds nothing like the last one. But it is an anazing album on it's own. One I would suggest to anyone.
Daniel - CA

MMJ are undoubtedly one of the most creative, gorgeous and emotive bands around. Live they are a rock and roll head f**k on record they make your emotions swoop and sore. "Z" is even better than "it still moves" and that is praise indeed. Buy this album and then buy it for a friend!!!!
STUART, BIRMINGHAM

Just astounded by the wonderful track "Dondante", from the LP "Z", that I have heard yesterday, 18 october 2005, on the radio in "France Inter, C'est Lenoir broadcast" This group is huge.
Sheffer (Paris, France)

This is the band stripped down to the bare essentials.They rock like beasts on "What a wonderful man" & "Anytime" & the twin guitars at the end of "Lay Low" recall Lynyrd Skynyrd at their best!
Dave,Tavistock

SLOW TO START BUT BOOM IN THE MIDDLE AND ITS ALL GOOD FROM THERE
PAUL SCOTLAND

AS TO MY LAST MESSAGE, I'VE HAD IT FOR A WEEK NOW. PLAYED CONSTANTLY. ONE OF THE ALBUMS OF THE YEAR ALONG WITH - THE NATIONAL- WHITE STRIPES- ARCADE FIRE- QOTSA
DAVE

"Off the record" is the track of the year..surprised me as much as Led Zeppelin's "Dyer Maker." Reggae poptopia!
PHilip, US

I bought this soon after release and am playing it constantly at home and in the car an simply cannot tire of it. Best album of 2005.
Phil, Belgium