How do you rate Z's songs?

Started by bytheway, Jan 15, 2006, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bytheway

Out of 10 what would you give each song? Just interested to know. For me:

Wordless Chorus 8/10 Really interesting song, sounds quite orginal to me.

It Beats 4 U 9/10 I really love this song, the guitar sounds great, is probally 2nd favourate song.

Gideon 8/10 Good song

What a Wonderful Man 7/10 Good song but a bit triesome sometimes.

Off the Record 6/10 Good song in parts, just something about it im not to in to.

Into the Woods 10/10 This song got better the more i listened to it and i now think its class. My favourate song.  ;D

Anytime 5/10 Ok

Lay Low 9/10 Great, great, great.

Knot Comes Loose 4/10 Not sure about this song.

Dondante 6/10 Good song, great guitar.

saki

Wordless - 10 out of 10

Easily my favorite track on this record!  Combination of the soul vibe and the lyrics and Jim's harmonizing on the chorus does it for me

It Beats for you - 8 out of 10

I really like this song alot.  The drumming is excellent and the bass is badass too.  Could have been better if they would have done it like the Bonnaroo 04 version.  Basically that means leave Andrew Bird out and let Jim sing that part.

Gideon - 8 out of 10

Sounds alot like U2 but it still has it's own identity.  Wonderful singing and interesting lyrics by Jim

What a wonderful man - 7 out of 10

In the beginning I didn't like it at all but it's grown on me and now I think it's catchy and a good sing-along song.

Off the record - 9 out of 10

Song has alot going for it.  Very catchy and it has some of the best lyrics and message.  Something that all musicians probably want to say but never have.  "We're gonna change, so take it or leave it!"  Least that's what I think it's about.

Into the Woods 9 out of 10

Again I didn't like this at first.  Thought it was weird but once again it grew on me and now I love it.  It's the centerpiece of an extremely experimental album.  Weird lyrics at times but I think that's part of it's appeal.  Also the carnival aspect and the I guess it's a theramin or something and then the choir of singers at the end all make it so wondrous and magical!

Anytime - 8 out of 10

Overall a very strong song.  Catchy just like everything else on the album.  It's a song that can get you pumped up about  anything.  

Lay Low - 9.5 out of 10

Classic MMJ!!  Great opening riff that goes along perfectly with the odd time signature drum beat.  Also wonderful singing by Jim.  Sublime outro with the two guitars soloing.  I couldn't see how anyone wouldn't like it.  

Knot Comes Loose - 9 out of 10

Beautiful piano on this one.  A lovely, lovely love song!  Kind of a country vibe with the steel guitar.  Sounds like a late night song.  Very beautiful!

Dondante - 7 out of 10

Overrated in my opinion.  It's a very well done song but it's just not one that keeps me coming back.  I could see it being pretty awesome live.  But, I liked Chills alot better and think this could of been replaced with Chills.  But, it does have some great lyrics about a friend who died.  The mood here is very sombre.  

maddon

Wordless Chorus 10/10 - Without doubt my favourite song on the record.  Can't fault it and I listen to this over and over and over................... you get the idea.  ;D

It Beats 4 U- 7/10.

Gideon 7/10

What a Wonderful Man 4/10 - I don't know why, but I'm not overly keen on this.  I skip right past it!  I guess it will grow on me (I hope), but at present, i'll keep skipping.

Off the Record - 8/10 - Fantastic!!!

Into the Woods - 7/10

Anytime 9.5/10 - I LOVE this track.  When I hear the 'damn' I just have to crank up the volume!  Totally, totally awesome.

Lay Low 9/10  

Knot Comes Loose 9/10 - Classic.

Dondante 8/10 - This took awhile for me to get into, but now, I LOVE it!!!!

Dudes, Z is totally AWESOME!

God Damn I Love MMJ!!!  I hate to think what i'd be doing now if I hadn't discovered these guys!  It's fair to say that this band has truly had a most profound influence in the past 4 1/2 years of my life.  And thank goodness for that! ;D ;D

Hurry up and get better Jim!!!!! ;)
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

Easy Morning Rebel

Wordless Chorus, 9/10 - the best song to introduce a record with, all categories - ever.

It Beats 4 U, 8,5/10 - ... you know my heart it beats for you.. it can't be better than that.

Gideon, 7,5/10 - it took me a while to appreciate this song but now I love it.

What A Wonderful Man, 10/10 - I adore this song, completely! It makes me so happy! ;D

Off the Record, 8/10 - I love the instrumental part of the song. also i think the lyric in a crowded room near the box of boom to an artificial tune i see you swoon is genius. right right right right right right right right right?

Into the Woods, 7/10 - according to me this is the weakest song of the album even though i love the fairytale feeling i'm getting off this song.

Anytime, 9,5/10 - the best rock song I've ever heard!

Lay Low, 10/10 - this is pure My Morning Jacket music, when it's the best! Also, this makes me happy too! ;D

Knot Comes Loose, 9/10 - I don't know what to say. I'm speechless.

Dondante, 8,5/10 - ADORABLE!!!

Summary: My Morning Jacket have made it again. 2005 they showed the world that they're the best rock band - ever! ;D Z is a Master Piece of its own!

(also sending a get well soon greeting to Jim. Hurry up get better soon, Jim. ;))
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

beammeup

Wordless Chorus 7/10

It Beats 4 U 7/10.

Gideon 5/10

What a Wonderful Man 8/10

Off the Record 4/10 - not a big fan of this one

Into the Woods - 8/10

Anytime 7/10

Lay Low 9/10  

Knot Comes Loose 10/10 - absolutely one of the best songs i have ever heard

Dondante 8/10

Clarkwork

Top Ten Countdown for Z:

10- It Beats 4 U
9- What A Wonderful Man
8- Into The Woods
7- Gideon
6- Dondante
5-Knot Comes Loose
4- Anytime
3- Off The Record
2- Wordless Chorus
1- Lay Low
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

primushead

Wow, bytheway.  I noticed you didn't give any song a10/10...which is okay.  But you'll be crucified on general principle ;)

Clarkwork

There all 10's.  That is just my top ten countdown.  I didn't give a rating to any song. Just my order of preference.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

bytheway

QuoteWow, bytheway.  I noticed you didn't give any song a10/10...which is okay.  But you'll be crucified on general principle ;)
Ok i give Into the Woods 10.  ;D

Jaimoe

Wordless Chorus 6/10 - I like it less the more I listen to it.

It Beats 4 U 6.5/10

Gideon 7.5/10

What a Wonderful Man 7/10

Off the Record 7/10 - It's grown on me, but it's one of their best live songs thanks to the added guitar solos.

Into the Woods - 5/10

Anytime 7.5/10

Lay Low 10/10  

Knot Comes Loose 6/10

Dondante 10/10

jonnycarlos

Wordless Chorus- 8/10. Rock solid.

It Beats For You- 8.5/10. Very inventive.

Gideon- 8.5/10 Beautiful

What a Wonderful Man- 9/10 Phenomenal- gets me dancing like nought else!

Off The Record- 8/10- It was my favourite, but some other songs have revelead more depth.

Into The Woods- 7.5- Probably the weakest song on the album, but it is a good song...says something that...

Anytime- 10/10- Oh my. I love this song....dayam...

Lay Low- 9/10- It has an effortless ease that is so impressive.

Knot Comes Loose- 8.5- Lovely song

Dondante- 8/10- A glorious end to a near faultless album.

TheBigDonger

Wordless- 7 it ok
it beats- i beat you bitch, sincerely, tom yorke 6
gideon- bono says ok, could be a bit more to point 6.5
wonderful man- like it, i do, but, um, ok. i bit messy. 7
off the record- sublime wants money, pay up! 5
into the woods- huh? ok, 7
anytime- yep, sounds a bit cheezy, but I like it! 7
lay low- good tune. 8
Knot comes loose- wow, awful! so bad. 4
Don Dante- now that get's me HARD! 9

TF=7
AD= 8
ISM= 7.5
Z= 6.8

Sorry, jusy my opinion.  Can't wait for the next GOOD album. :P
eat meat, eat meat, eat a big ole stear.

scientology is the answer.  sorry jesus.