Xmas Curtain interpretation

Started by PH, Feb 25, 2006, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PH

Let me just say: wow! Discovered MMJ about 2 months ago through metacritic.com and have listened nonstop since - first it still moves, then Z, then at dawn.... haven't really grown to like tennesse fire (yet?).

Anyway - what do you guys think the song xmas curtain is about? I'm wondering. Here are the lyrics:

hey! The Christmas curtain falls on lawbreakers
that pave the way for thoughtless folks like me and j who'd pay,
but cant afford the finer things in life so we heist them all..
we're criminals that never break the law!
So, to all you frowns go down to town square and
get some action, from the xmas girl that lives inside your womb.
She's always there I think that im certain,
you pay to get behind her Christmas curtain.
you're the criminal that never breaks the law!

PH

saki

here is my humble opinion:

two lines really stick out in my mind about this song they are:

"you pay to get behind her christmas curtain."

I think that often times around christmas time everyone gets in the christmas spirit and they are really giving and they go and buy christmas presents for their friends and loved ones and it's like if you buy someone a christmas presents you're paying to get close to someone i.e. get "behind the christmas curtain."  i think this is especially true with like girlfriends/boyfriends, where you buy them things to (ahem) "get some."  

then there is "criminals who never break the law"

Basically, I think this just goes back to the been naughty and nice.  People who are "naughty" never break any laws, but around christmas time it's like all the things we've did throughout the year kinda weigh on us and we want to mend broken relationships by buying presents or just being nice, but it has alot to do with buying gifts.  

And also, "she's always there I think that I'm certain."  i think means that the christmas girl that lives inside our womb is just love, like romantic kinda love, and she's always there but for some reason she comes out around christmas time with all the gift-buying and stuff...

So, I think basically this song kinda laments the fact that we go out and buy gifts and act nice to eachother around christmas, but really we should do it all year long and it doesn't have to mean buying gifts to be nice....

well there ya go

there's so much in this song that it could be interpreted in many different ways I think...a brilliant song...I think it's one of the best ever written about christmas :)

hey damnit you guys gettin me anything for christmast next year?  ;D