Best live "Steam Engine"

Started by saki, Feb 25, 2006, 01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saki

okay, since everyone seems to love interpreting the lyrics to this song, how about we do something a bit easier, and figure out what is the best live recording of this masterpiece!

please, I don't mean to be anal but, I'd like to set down a few guidelines...1. try to be "unbiased" (that is just because you were at the show doesn't mean it was the "best version.")  2.that's it really, this song is so amazing live that I think it would be kinda cool to know which live version is best....:)

okay here goes my picks:

1.  The Opera House Theatre, Toronto, Ontario 5-28-04
2.  Bonaroo '04, Manchester, Tn.  6-11-04

The second one I was at that that show so I broke my own rule ;D...for sheezie though it is a crazy good recording with all the thunder and atmosphere...

tell me what you think....

Jellyfish

June 6th - Ziggy's, Winstom/Salem NC ...Steam Engine Opener...how many times have they done that?

There is no recording of this show that I know of and I thought it was unique and well played...from what I remember...I have many other SE's I play from live shows that I like though...like that Roo 04 version.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

BH

Opera House is 15 minutes long.  I am not sure that this can be beat.   Although I have only heard it about 5 other places, none has topped it.  What a friggin jam at the end.  

If the Rolling Stone acoustic version counts, I might have to go with that.  It really shows how great Jim's voice and range really is.  The sublte soft lyrics and the high notes.  Damn.  How can anyone take a song like that and do it so much justice acoustically!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MyLifeISought

I'd go with Roo 04, with thunder in the background and raindrops on the recording. Awesome
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

ycartrob

If not the Rolling Stone acoustic version, then it's the 04 Bonnaroo.

whothrewthecake

steam engine makes me want to be in love. and i go with the opera house versh

dragonboy

QuoteIf not the Rolling Stone acoustic version, then it's the 04 Bonnaroo.

Spot on with those two!
I think the Headliners Music Hall Sept 26 2003 deserves an honorable mention too.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

saki

QuoteI'd go with Roo 04, with thunder in the background and raindrops on the recording. Awesome

Yeah, haven't listened to the Roo '04 version in awhile because I bought it off of the Bonnaroo website in 04 and listened to it so many times that it's skips alot now.  But, now I just re-recorded it using Exact Audio Copy and it sounds great!!!  There is one point in the song from the 04 version where Jim is singing I think the last "Soooooo, I......" and the crowd erupts into spontaneous appluase.  I think that's the point where the storm decided to drench us all with downpour.  Couldn't have been better timed...mmj was controlling the weather that day ;)

i'm still hoping there might be a better version out there than opera house and roo 04, but kinda losin hope now... :P

JacketGal

I think the Headliners Music Hall Sept 26 2003 deserves an honorable mention too.
I think I started an entire thread about that one! ;D

I love the acoustic version from RS too. Does it not sound like he's saying "he lies, he lies..." on the outro?
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

ratsprayer

I think I started an entire thread about that one! ;D

I love the acoustic version from RS too. Does it not sound like he's saying "he lies, he lies..." on the outro?

its actually biii-kiiini bottttttttttttttttttttttom, a nod to his love for spongebob.

BH

Have you guys noticed on the RS version when Jim turns his head sideways and spits into the darkness.  If not watch it again.  Classic moment.

Apparently, I'm told, at the end he is saying "aeolipile" which was the name of the first steam device.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

JacketGal

its actually biii-kiiini bottttttttttttttttttttttom, a nod to his love for spongebob.
And who doesn't love spongebob and squidward??

ratsprayer

And who doesn't love spongebob and squidward??

i think it's great.  i'm just glad i have kids to have a reasonable excuse for a 26 year old man to watch it.

JacketGal

QuoteHave you guys noticed on the RS version when Jim turns his head sideways and spits into the darkness.  If not watch it again.  Classic moment.

Apparently, I'm told, at the end he is saying "aeolipile" which was the name of the first steam device.
Did not notice that at all....will have to watch again!

And ratsprayer...from this way older than 26-year old auntie of 3...spongebob RULES!!  ;D

Clarkwork

Rolling stone version and the Lebowski Fest version...
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

jrat

ok, so i just saw the steam engine from rolling stone, where in the hell can i download it now. and does anyone have it in just audio format so i can put it on a compilation im making?
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

jrat

hey ima senior member now. "movin' on uuuu uuuupp..."
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd