Song that 'De-Flowered' You

Started by memphis2kentucky, Mar 16, 2006, 08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRoof

What was the first song from MMJ that made you understand that they were a band of a different breed?

Mine was 'Mahgeetah' that was on an American Eagle cd after buying som clothes.  From the moment I heard the background vocals and chorus I knew I was being introduced to something very special.

My Morning Jacket restored faith in me that good music still exists while producing a sound that reaches the soul not simply the ear.....words cannot begin to explain
You Are Everything

dragonboy

The first time I played At Dawn...
I read an article in Mojo magazine that intrigued me & I went ahead & ordered AD & TF from Amazon without having heard any of the tracks; before the days of internet music I used to do this all the time.
By the time I got to Lowdown & then The Way That He Sings I knew that MMJ were something very, very special  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

the way he sings...at first i couldnt understand a fucking thing jim was saying, but i was mesmerized by the song nonetheless

ali

being only a recent convert - i'd read some really great reviews of Z, then i bought a copy of filter mag - and was intrigued by ideas of silos, magic, muppets.... i was hooked by the end of wordless chorus when i finally bought Z, but what really got me was the tingling on the back of my neck at jim's vocals at the end of the track. you know you find something really special when that happens - no going back now....
 :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

primushead

Dancefloors.  

A buddy of mine played it in his car one night after pickin' me up from work, and I was taken.  

vynyluvr

A good buddy of mine from Jackson, TN (the guy who started this thread) introduced me.  I got hooked on the commercialized tune "one big holiday"

TheRoof

Quotei was hooked by the end of wordless chorus when i finally bought Z, but what really got me was the tingling on the back of my neck at jim's vocals at the end of the track. you know you find something really special when that happens - no going back now....
:)

right on ali
You Are Everything

cmccubbin25

Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

wellfleet

CDUniverse kept recommending ISM to me so i bought it at my other store and the first time i listened to it, it was bedtime and i drifted off to sleep and woke up when "golden" played then i had that on repeat for about 40 turns...
it reminded me of kissing my husband (then a long-distance boyfriend) for the first time, i just thought, oh yeah, that's the stuff... *swoooooon*
everything sucks. really.

ycartrob

SiOuxTribe

I knew about them for a while but after I heard Wordless Chorus I started touching myself in naughty places.
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

EC

Tonight I Want to Celebrate With You.

And then, waaaaay later, It Still Moves in my brother's truck.  I had to play it twice (it was a long drive, luckily).  I will never forget how excited I felt.  :)

sweatboard

I read a review of the band that sounded like it would be something I would like, so I downloaded some songs.  I don't know if it was the FIRST song I heard but, I remember palying The Bear and just being STUNNED, motionless and enthralled.  Jim's voice struck a place deep in my soul.  The way the song builds and the emotion that is just so evident, the lyrics........Oh Lord, The Bear captivated me and I knew at that moment that it I had stumbled upon something very special that effected me in a way that no other music has.  It was like finding something you believed in your mind existed but had never really touched.  I was just SHOCKED at the connection It made with me.  
There's Still Time.........

wholovesthesun

i heard jim sing "the bear" live solo when he toured with bright eyes.
it was awe-inspiring, to saythe least.
i became obsessed with findinfg that song afterward.
and when i met him this fall in boston, i rambled about hearing the bear..and felt embarassed.
but it's still one of my favorite songs ever.
mmm...ber.

hillsonn

Come Closer...I had never heard reverb like that. Blew my mind.

marktwain

Though I'm from Louisville, I never made the effort to see the band in the early days.  I was even at an MMJ show, and saw their openers, Cloverleaf and HElgeson story, but I left before they went on, because I was turned off by the fact that they were all wearing cowboy hats. :P

But a few days later, I heard Heartbreakin' Man on the radio, and I was like 'shit!  I should've stayed.

Then I bought the disc, and heard 'War Begun,' and it was like the church scene in 'Blues Brothers.'  Or maybe the church scene in 'Hustle & Flow.'

BH

I had It Still Moves for long enough to be on the verge, but it wasn't until one afternoon on vacation in the smokey mountains on the back deck of my cabin and heavily under the influence of red wine and (....well we could be here all day) that I realized that this was more than just music.  I am pretty sure for just a moment during golden as the afternoon sun burned across the mountain peaks, I actually levitated a few inches off the deck.  

Seriously.  

And that tingly feeling that you get in the back of your neck. That used to only happen to me during a few Floyd songs and maybe a couple others.  But now it overcomes my body everytime I hear MMJ.  And here I am one year, and 9 studio and countless live CD's later, beggin for more!  

But you know, talk is often cheap and filled with air, so fire it up, close your eyes and tingle.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Dee.

Quoteit wasn't until one afternoon on vacation in the smokey mountains on the back deck of my cabin and heavily under the influence of red wine and (....well we could be here all day) that I realized that this was more than just music.  I am pretty sure for just a moment during golden as the afternoon sun burned across the mountain peaks, I actually levitated a few inches off the deck.
Wow.  That sounds pretty damn perfect.  :)

Mine was At Dawn, first song of the first cd I had.  Goodness, what an introduction.

Chills

If I remember well, Bermuda Highway, or Hopefully.
Anyway, it's a long time ago.

Mr. T.

What de-flowered me wasn't a song but the "at dawn" cover.
Beauty beyond words...

Anyhow, the song:

Bermuda Highway
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times