Main Menu

Lil' Billy

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Apr 18, 2006, 04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

Can someone tell me what this is?  I found it on a 5-13-00 show from the Rudyard Kipling.  Is it a cover?  If so, who is original artist? Is it a MMJ song that has never been recorded?  Help.  

(I am putting together a CD of all live covers and I want to include this if it is a cover)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

thebigbang

It's punk Jacket!

Pretty certain it is original and unreleased, but I'd bet  they recorded it at some time.  They used to play it a lot.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Angry Ewok

Yeap, its an original but unrecorded... I love the song, but really only for Jim's screaming at the end. Damn, does he go off or what?

Jim is like a bobcat.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

the recording from the rud is probably the best one of it, but i think there are two or three more out there somewhere. that song is completely balls out.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

thanks! that expains it.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Billo

Bermuda
I had some thoughts along the same line as getting together a bunch of covers.
Could you post your list when you get it together.
Thanks
Billo

dragonboy

My fav is Jim's solo version from his amazing show at the Garage in London Xmas 2000.
Excellent track!
Bermuda, if you're looking for covers you need this show if you don't have it. Jim plays Up On Cripple Creek/That's Alright, Fairies Wear Boots & Suspicious Minds.
Jim playing 2 Elvis tracks in one night? Doesn't get much better than that!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

I don't have the London show.  Is it available on line anywhere?

My list so far is...

1)Tyrone-Erykah Badu-3-15-02 Dallas, TX  (Anyone know the venue on this?)
2)The Man in Me-Bob Dylan-6-18-04
3)Time of the Season-The Zombies-9-27-03
4)I Still Miss Someone-Johnny Cash-9-26-03
5)I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man-Prince-6-4-05
6)Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You-Bob Dylan-6-12-05
7)Make it with You-Bread-11-26-05
8)Northern Sky-Nick Drake-10-19-05
9)Suspicious Minds-Elvis-8-16-02
10)Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath-11-8-02

And apparently now I need 3 more from London '00 before I can allow myself to finish it.  Doh!  Anybody got anything else to add?

BH

I finally got the flac thing figured out and now I've noticed that some of the shows are only available with .shn or .ogg files.  What do I need to convert these to .wav?  Anyone?

Jon T.

I remember you asking about this a while back.  I'm glad you figured it out.  I love getting all those shows absolutely free and legal.  Here is where I went to figure out shn files.  It looks complicated but it is basically the same as the other stuff.  Just read through it.  Like I said last time, totally worth it

http://www.etree.org/shncom.html

Chills

QuoteI don't have the London show.  Is it available on line anywhere?

My list so far is...

1)Tyrone-Erykah Badu-3-15-02 Dallas, TX  (Anyone know the venue on this?)
2)The Man in Me-Bob Dylan-6-18-04
3)Time of the Season-The Zombies-9-27-03
4)I Still Miss Someone-Johnny Cash-9-26-03
5)I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man-Prince-6-4-05
6)Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You-Bob Dylan-6-12-05
7)Make it with You-Bread-11-26-05
8)Northern Sky-Nick Drake-10-19-05
9)Suspicious Minds-Elvis-8-16-02
10)Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath-11-8-02

And apparently now I need 3 more from London '00 before I can allow myself to finish it.  Doh!  Anybody got anything else to add?

There's certainly some more.
Be Here To Love Me-Townes Van Zandt 17-10-03
Everybody's Talkin' -Nillson 05-13-03

Magnix

QuoteMy fav is Jim's solo version from his amazing show at the Garage in London Xmas 2000.
Excellent track!
Bermuda, if you're looking for covers you need this show if you don't have it. Jim plays Up On Cripple Creek/That's Alright, Fairies Wear Boots & Suspicious Minds.
Jim playing 2 Elvis tracks in one night? Doesn't get much better than that!

Jim did NOT play London back then! Actually, the band played the UK (and London) for the first time on their short European tour in November 2002. Back in December 2000, Jim 'only' did one show in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; two in Brussels, Belgium; and one in Diksmuide, Belgium. I think that the show referred to is the Brussels AB Club early show from December 15, 2000, where Jim opened for Kurt Wagner (the night before in Amsterdam it was the other way round). Check my site (the archive part) for full details! The same goes for information on all their shows from 1999-2004 and there's also a list of known covers the band did during those years (more on covers in an upcoming post).

Magnix

There's certainly some more.
Be Here To Love Me-Townes Van Zandt 17-10-03
Everybody's Talkin' -Nillson 05-13-03

There's definitely more!
About a year ago I planned on compiling a disc of covers myself (Low Dog probably remembers, as I talked to him about it). I even started working on it, but it remains unfinished so far. However, here's the list of songs I had made up then (so the 2005 shows aren't included). The recording quality quite varies by the way.

See the covers list in the archive on my site for the originals of these tunes ...

2000-01-26 Rocket Man (session)
2000-01-29 Tuning guitars + White Rabbit
2000-04-15 Hot Legs
2000-04-15 Honesty (very short piece before Honest Man)
2000-04-15 Tequila Sunrise
2000-04-16 Easy
2000-12-15 Up On Cripple Creek / Blue Moon Of Kentucky
2000-12-15 Fairies Wear Boots
2000-12-15 Suspicious Minds
2001-09-08 Rocket Man (full band version)
2001-09-21 Dream A Little Dream Of Me
2001-12-21 Santa Claus Is Back In Town
2001-12-21 O Holy Night
2001-12-21 Silent Night
2002-01-23 Never Tear Us Apart
2002-01-23 Peaceful, Easy Feeling
2002-03-18 I'm On Fire
2002-03-21 Spanish Pipedream (only one verse)
2002-03-24 Every Rose Has It's Thorn (first verse only)
2002-06-12 Black Sabbath
2003-02-04 That's All Right
2003-02-04 Everybody's Talkin'
2003-09-12 I Still Miss Someone
2003-09-12 Ring Of Fire
2003-09-24 Time Of The Season
2003-10-17 Be Here To Love Me
2003-10-17 La Bamba (played about 50 seconds of it)
2004-06-18 The Man In Me
2004-07-10 Dark End of the Street
2004-07-10 Still Feeling Blue
2004-10-08 Always On My Mind
2004-10-08 Girl From The North Country

plus Tyrone on numerous occasions, I hadn't decided yet which version to use ... it should at least be something different from the version that has been released officially, so the mentioned solo version could be a good one.

Magnix

Quote1)Tyrone-Erykah Badu-3-15-02 Dallas, TX  (Anyone know the venue on this?)

MMJ didn't play Dallas on March 15, 2002. They played Denton that day and Jim did a solo performance of Tyrone there. That show was taped and is most probably in circulation, so maybe that's where it's from. The venue in Denton is called Rubber Gloves by the way.

dragonboy

QuoteJim did NOT play London back then! Actually, the band played the UK (and London) for the first time on their short European tour in November 2002. Back in December 2000, Jim 'only' did one show in Amsterdam, The Netherlands; two in Brussels, Belgium; and one in Diksmuide, Belgium. I think that the show referred to is the Brussels AB Club early show from December 15, 2000, where Jim opened for Kurt Wagner (the night before in Amsterdam it was the other way round). Check my site (the archive part) for full details! The same goes for information on all their shows from 1999-2004 and there's also a list of known covers the band did during those years (more on covers in an upcoming post).

Yer that's the show I was refering to.
I thought it was London, I have a couple of solo shows & I guess I got them mixed up.
Apologies 4 any confusion & thanks 4 the heads up.

:)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

Magnix!   Nice!  You are full of usefull nuggets.  Great list.  I wish I could have all of those, but I'm so far limited to stuff I can find on archive.org or from all of the rest of you very helpful fans!  I love the detail and info though.  I eat that shit up!  Maybe we could all work together to get a one page post of all covers that we could put together.  I forgot about the Eagles and INXS from 1-23-02.  I have those too.  And my copy of Tyrone said Dallas.  You solved that mystery too.  Cheers to you for documenting the classics!

Angry Ewok

Let's get to cracking on setting up an FTP for all of these super rare covers, shall we? I'm DYING HERE!

I know me and David have been on these covers like crack addicts...
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

if i was seventeeeeeeeeen
i'd really FUCK you uuuuuup!!!!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

simpy

i would love to be able to get some of these older shows you guys are talking about. i have posted on here before about the ftp server. nobody ever replies.  is it still possible to get access to these shows somehow. i have downloaded everytthing there is off of archive. but i have read about alot more shows that i can't find. can someone please help me out on how to get these. thanks.

aMD

bump.

I was looking for the lyrics to lil Billy and I pulled up this thread, Magnix (Ger) outlines a collection of covers he was trying to put together.  There I some on that list that I don't have.  Some that I have that aren't on the list.  I've emailed Ger to try and see if we can combine foreces and make this thing happen.  Don't stop believing, Jackeeters. ;D