Main Menu

Reverb Rebels

Started by admin, Oct 03, 2003, 07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

Awesome article...one thing tho:

Quoteignored by hometown hipsters

Not that I'm a hipster by ANY definition, but I can say with all authority that there were folks who weren't ignoring them.  (not mentioning any names  :o )
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

DD

5 young men of occasionally suspicious hyigene.

HA HA HA HA HA HA

yeah, that danny cash, he really needs to shower more.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

Oz

Hmm, that comparison with Gomez is interesting. Not musically, but in the amount of popularity and respect they might get. 'Cuz, unlike some people on this board, I still don't see them getting really really big...
I'm ready when you are

my_evening_jacket

I see them getting "Wilco" big not "REM" big.  Wilco big is a good thing though.  Jeff Tweedy is not working days at the quickie mart to make ends meet.

shake some action

Ah, the $52 question...

Will they get that big?  White Stripes big?  R.E.M. big?  Led Zeppelin big?

Only time will tell.  I don't want to jinx it.  Let's just say I'm hoping they will.  :D

my_evening_jacket

Yeah, I wish them the best.  I guess what's most important is that they get to continue doing what they do best - creating great music, bringing a little joy to their fans and make a living at it.

shake some action

My feelings exactly.  

otter

I think they already are that big...look what they have done to all of us.

I knew this was a top quality band the very first time I ever heard them...and that was the first time that has ever happened to me. That is the reason I followed up so swiftly and heavily...to become a part of a fan community..even you cheddah..and support this band to the fullest because I feel somehow obligated to do so  ;D

None of those bands mentioned were "that" big when they started..it takes a career to become "that" big. And if they were it was because of good music and people not being able to help themselves from promoting something real...and cool.

MMJ has a great start and a bright future. And I plan on being around as long as they are.

DD

um i dont think the white stripes belong in a sentence with rem and zepplin as far as being "big".  dont get me wrong, i like em, but they are kinda strokish flavor of the month.  its the whole resurgence, AGAIN, of the punk rock sound.  they will go the way of the other bands like greenday and offspring, etc.  YEAH, they are going to be known BUT, they are no rem or zepplin.

id say mmj will end up somewhere above flesh for lulu, and below guns n roses.  ya know, somewhere in between somewhere.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

randorph

I guess the least likely scenario is that they stay just the size they are now.  Everything must go up or down, right?  I'd like to keep them ALL TO MYSELF.  I'd like to see them in small venues, surrounded by fans as delirious as I am.  But I can't stop raving about them to people.  I have personally converted--and I mean converted--six otherwise unassuming people.

Ahem.
[size=10]anytime your war gets out of hand i'll take it on[/size]

masterplan

Being a brand new MMJ fan, let me address their potential "big factor."

MMJ has mass cross over appeal. Just take me for example. I don't listen to any "American Rock," or "Alt-Country Rock" or whatever you want to call it. The White Stripes and Pearl Jam are as close as I get (now Grandaddy). Neil Young, Ryan Adams, etc...I don't care for whatsoever. But "It Still Moves" has completely blown my mind.

However, I don't think MMJ will hit "REM Big" with "It Still Moves." They're an album away from that, if they want to be. "It Still Moves" is an epic piece of work, but it's not really poppy enough...which is a good thing, IMO. I could see MMJ becoming "Radiohead Big" one day, though.

tigrl

I haven't read that whole article yet (and as to getting 'big' I so agree about the White Stripes and Strokes thing...I think they are so much better (and truer than? tho maybe that's cuz they're more my style) than that to me. Can't see them being a phase-craze thing...hot for a while, then fading away... Not at all!

In fact as much I've loved them from the first moment, I never never expected them to grow in popularity and acclaim (critical) near this fast! I'm really happy bout that! and a bit surprised maybe...

couple of things tho: um "unquestionable hygiene"? what the hey, man?! just cuz they have their hair in their faces...always just about (in shows)...has nothing to do with that. Before shows they/Jim James specially looks totally ahem 'clean'...even his feet! His hair all tied back...and after too. What an assumption and cliche!

other thing: Drive By Truckers? give me a break! I saw these guys a while back...maybe I was missing something (not in the best mood). They have damn good advertising! I was expecting another (similar) version of Grandaddy...ya know! Oh man! Nothing, nothing like either of these bands (MMJ too) so why the comparison? I thought they were just trying to ride the tails of the success of these 2 bands...give the impression of this kind of music. (didn't have that vibe at all...I thought)

ahhh...but maybe I was missing something..that show...well I walked out..me and my friend left..not impressed. Anyways, don't care for that comparison at all.

but I think every, every review I've read..specially lately is so so complimentary and just heaps on praise...to these MMJ guys. Makes me happy!!! :D ;D 8) (can't write short posts it seems..) :o