Cover List and Collection

Started by thebigbang, Jul 06, 2006, 04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

In three or four different threads on the forum people are talking about putting together lists and a collection for distribution via ftp or cd or other ways. To help me keep this strait, and hopefully others on the list, I have aggregated all covers I have seen discussed in the various threads.  I also used Ger's list and notes from his Nashville to Kentucky Archive (let me know if this is not okay with you Ger).  I have put all of this into a spreadsheet for those who want to keep track as well.  If people will cooperate with this project, I will convert it into a web page as well at a later date (perhaps with links to each track if it is placed on an ftp server).

The spreadsheet has columns for documenting the covers, including original date, if recorded, if available for sharing, title, original artist, song writer, performance notes, and original version notes.

If anyone can add information into the spreadsheet and email it back to me, I'll keep making updated versions available until we have a comprehensive resource.  Email it back to me at "mmjfansATyahoo.com".

I have 90 tracks listed so far, multiple versions of a few. The spreadsheet can be downloaded here (from Savefile, they'll bug you with popups but it's free storage):
 http://www.savefile.com/files/2829532.  

The list  so far is:

A Quick One
All Things Must Pass
Always On My Mind
Angel Of Harlem
Attitude
Be Here To Love Me
Behind That Locked Door
Billy #4 (w M Ward)
Black Sabbath
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Dance The Night Away
Dark End of the Street
Don't Fear the Reaper(w/ Wilco)
Don't Stop Believin'
Downtown
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Easy
Every Rose Has It's Thorn
Everybody's Talkin'
Fairies Wear Boots
Freaks Of The Industry
Girl From the North Country
Girl of the North Country
Glycerine
Good Til Now
Head Held High
Honesty (very short piece)
Hot Burrito #1
Hot Legs
How The Gods Kill
I Could Never Take the Place of Man
I Still Miss Someone
I'm On Fire
It Makes No Difference
It Makes No Difference (w. Eddider)
Jeremy
Jump
La Bamba
Lead Me Father
Loving Cup
Make it With You
Man in Me (full band)
Miss You
Mother
My Morphine
Never Tear Us Apart
New Morning
Northern Sky
O Holy Night (Jim solo '01)
Peaceful, Easy Feeling
Principal's Office
Race For The Prize
Ring Of Fire
Rocket Man (full band version)
Rocket Man (live, acoustic)
Rocket Man (session)
Rocket Man (studio)
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
Silent Night
Sleepwalker
Spanish Pipedream
Still Feeling Blue
Suspicious Minds
Take My Breath Away
Tequila Sunrise
That's All Right
The Dark End of the Street
The End
The Man In Me
The Same in Any Language
This Magic Moment
Time Of The Season
Time of the Season
Tonight I'll Be Staying Here Wiu
Touch Too Much
Trouble Sleep, Yanga Wake Am
Tyrone
Up On Cripple Creek
Wear Your Love Like Heaven
West End Girls
White Rabbit
Why Don't We Do It In The Road
Why Don't You Love Me?
Will You Love Me Tomorrow
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
You're a Big Girl Now

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Sherpa

aMD

Lookin pretty good.  I like your idea of setting up links to downloads for each track.  That way we can provide a link to amazon.com or something for the tracks that are widely available in stores like Same in Any Language or the Early Recordings, but the list will be complete.  

I've been in contact with management but still awaiting word on how far we can take this endeavor.

Also, George Savage has found some more covers and is sending them along to me soon.  So add La Bamba, How the Gods Kill, Dark End of the Street, Spanish Pipedream, and Every Rose Has Its Thorn to the list of covers that I have to offer to this compliation.

tomEisenbraun

they covered "The End"? has this been recorded?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

CC

Quotethey covered "The End"? has this been recorded?

that was jim solo in diksmuide, belgium, 2000.
I remember someone videotaping it but nobody has been able to find it.

fitzcarraldo

Whoa! The End, Angel of Harlem, Jeremy, The Dark End of the Street, etc. etc.  :o

Signed, Jealous

EC

I'd really like to hear Why Don't We Do It In The Road.
I love that song.

You guys are AWESOME archivists!!  

BH

Every Rose Has It's Thorn!?

CC Deville guesting on Chocolate and Ice and now this! ;)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

thebigbang

I should have added that the performance notes should explain whether it was MMJ or Jim James solo.  Later I can mark the song titles with asterisks or such to designate this.

Also, I suppose the Monster's of Folk tour and Jim's collaborations with M. Ward, Bright Eyes and other such covers will be included if Jim is lead vocalist or shares the honors.  Such collaborartions are a bit of a grey area.

p.s. I'll try to add George's additional songs later today and I guess I can keep editing the list above so everyone can find it quickly.  In my original post on this thread, I tried hard to use pre-formatted text, the "add table" and the "add code" functions to put the song/original artist on here in a neat format but couldn't get them to work.  When I have time, I'll give that another try.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

MMJ_fanatic

Yep,  I say a covers compilation is long overdue for these guys 8)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

aMD

Hot Burrito #1 has surfaced!!!!  It sounds great!  

Also, a little birdie told me that "Dondante" from Bonnarooo and one from "HighSierra" is mixed in with a cover of Fela Kuti's- "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake AM" its the intro and outro and rhythmic basis of that version of "Dondante."  So add it to the list, I have both versions, I'll have to listen and try to figure out which version would be the best to use.

Now all we need is "You're a Big Girl Now" and the tracks that Ger has and I believe we'll have all the cover songs that have been recorded and circulated.  There are still some ultra-rare tracks floating around and others that are documented but weren't recorded.  This is going to be an amazing compliation!.  And we can always add to it as we go along.

corey

aMD, did you get HB#1 from the folks at KCRW?

aMD

QuoteaMD, did you get HB#1 from the folks at KCRW?

My source didn't want to be revealed.  Let's just say that the internet is a beautiful thing!

BH

I love the fact that you guys are working on this and it seems to be taking hold.  Don't give up.  I would love to help in any way I can.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

QuoteI love the fact that you guys are working on this and it seems to be taking hold.  Don't give up.  I would love to help in any way I can.

You could email Ger and let him know how much it would mean to you and the rest of us if he got in touch with me (Dylan/aMD) about this compiliation.  Here's his email:
mymorningjacket@gerpotze.com
Ger is a busy guy and I don't want to bug him but I do want to get in touch with him.

George_Savage

Also, George Savage has found some more covers and is sending them along to me soon.  So add La Bamba, How the Gods Kill, Dark End of the Street, Spanish Pipedream, and Every Rose Has Its Thorn to the list of covers that I have to offer to this compliation.[/quote]

These are Louisville bound as of yesterday to Dylan.  Three of these five are partial/subjective interpretation!   By that I mean that while Jim and the band were playing the music to La Bamba, they 1) only played about a minute of it, and 2) probably a third of the lyrics were "Benicio del Toro"!
Jim perpetuating his comic side here, I guess!? (Austin, Oct 17, 2003)
             He also only played the chorus to Spanish Pipedream - "Blow up your T.V. throw away your paper, go to
the country, build you a home, plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches, try an find Jesus on your own" - and then he went into "At Dawn they ride again" - it was awesome, big surprise!  (Atlanta, March 21, 2002)
             He only played about a minute of Every Rose has its Thorn.   Apparently someone in the audience hollered out for it; he and/or the band has reportedly performed it live prior to this date but I am not sure if any of those full-length versions were ever recorded (Greensboro, NC, March 24, 2002)
             The other songs I sent were full-length, but Dylan had some of those already.   I sent Dark End of the Street from the Gram concert (House of Blues, Los Angeles, July 10, 2004) and How the gods Kill (Danzig), from The Nick, Birmingham AL, Sept 4, 2002).   Anyway, thanks to Dylan and all of the others who are helping with this compilation.

Low Dog

aMD

Just a heads up, I'm going on vacation for about a week so I probably won't be posting or checking email, but hopefully when I get back Ger will have received my email, George's CDs will have arrived, and maybe "You're a Big Girl Now" will have surfaced and we can go forward with our little project here.  

jrat

wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

thebigbang

Echoing aMD, I'll be away from the 'puter till July 20. Will have the new and improved list then.

I think we can make this definitive with so many helping.  The spreadsheet format will allow us to sort by performance date and alphabetically by the song title and original artist.  Makes it easier to see if one of your faves has been covered.

primushead

I want Angel of Harlem so badly.

Like, now.