MMJ and Jesus

Started by Tapirman, Oct 17, 2006, 08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapirman

This may have already been discussed here but I'm new to the boards but a long time MMJ fan and I've always wondered about the allusions to Christianity and such in there music and how the band feels about it.  Let me make my case.

What a Wonderful Man- The wondeful man is arguably Jesus.  Some lyrical proof.  "He was telling us Love goes on"
"Big devil told us to sing along/ and like a loving flock we obeyed/ Except 4 him, he went his own way" and vague reference to the crucifiction "Til the day I found out his cause, was to do it for all of us."

Gideon - Bible character of war, and though this is an anti-war song there is still the line "Religion should appeal to the hearts of the young".  As if Bush (who is obviously Gideon) and the rest of the Far Right have tainted Christianity to where it doesn't appeal to people anymore.

Steam Engine - IMO, almost the entire song is about religion and god.  The first line, "So, I believe that none of this is physical", is establishing the idea of something spiritual or out of the physical realm (even the title hints at this with a steam engine being something powered by something you cannot touch or hold).  "And anywhere I go, it's always with me." that could easily be the presence of God.  "But it's a voice, and it's a choice/ to call you out or stay at home"  The disembodied voice of God calling you to be with him.  "But it's the touch, you need so much"  The touch of God.  Lastly the most obvious line "Take your money and your drugs/ to anyone who wondered/ what old JESUS meant to me."  This is a rejection of all the rock band stereotypes of drugs and all that shit, which ties in with the whole motif of the song being something greater than and physical and the Jesus part well that hints, nay tells of, Jim's plausible relationship with Jesus.

Anyway, There numerous other examples, and so basically wondering is are these guys christian (cuz in an interview on AOL sessions [http://youtube.com/watch?v=LLejnsflaWA] Jim talks about how God has spoke to him) or am I just over reading everything.

Any thoughts?

primushead

You see, Jim IS Jesus.  

Both names start with J.  

Coincidence?  I think not.

aMD

You're not the first to mention this.  You can read whatever you want into it. That said, I think What a Wonderful Man is about Jesus Quintana, nor Christ.  

Actually Jim has said that the song is about a friend of his who died.  But what does he know?

megisnotreal

QuoteYou see, Jim IS Jesus.  

Both names start with J.  

Coincidence?  I think not.

"Nobody fucks with da Jesus."

primushead

"Nobody fucks with da Jesus."

Except Borat.

:)

aMD

also, the line in steam engine is:
what old JEBUS (not jesus) meant to me

and what about the line "goddam those skaky knees".  First of all, I hope he goes to confession for that blaspheme.  Secondly, if he's talking about Jesus' shaky kness, that's kind of creepy.

And you didn't mention the two songs that I think actually ARE about jesus or at least religion: I Needed it Most and Easy Morning Rebel.

sorry, just had to point that out.

Tapirman

Easy Morning Rebel was when I first noticed it but that song's just all over the place with it's imagery and craziness so I don't think I could tie any of it down.  ANd the "Shakey Knees" line, well I said most the song referred to religion.  There are still some lines which I have no idea what they mean or nothin'.  But you can't deny the reference to divine intervention in the interview I linked.

TEO

JESUS would Love MMJ!  :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

fan75

QuoteJESUS would Love MMJ!  :)

You're right, he probably would!   :D  Actually I'd imagine that Jim and the rest of MMJ aren't that different from most of Jesus' disciples*, especially when he first met them.  ;)

(*Judus I. excluded.)
http://savefile.com/projects/808465307
[url]http://savefile.com/projects/808465344[/url]

Angry Ewok

No, no, no... Going to a concert to see MMJ is like going to church - you're about to get hit with some spiritual goodness. We are the disciples. The concerts are our revivals, our points of baptism by reverb. So long as we're the ones with the shaky knees spreading the gospel to the needy, we're the Monks.

I just happened to be one of those monks that knows a sweet ass Kung Fu technique, by the way.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

megisnotreal

QuoteNo, no, no... Going to a concert to see MMJ is like going to church - you're about to get hit with some spiritual goodness. We are the disciples. The concerts are our revivals, our points of baptism by reverb. So long as we're the ones with the shaky knees spreading the gospel to the needy, we're the Monks.

This statement just made my day.

marino13

I have a strong belief in God and in Jesus, and I can say that all of the following produce a similar feeling in me that I can't explain, turning on the tears at an instant:

1.  Hearing a message in church that especially resonates in my life, to where I feel like God specifically wanted me to hear it.

2.  Listening to music in church in which the lyrics are giving thanks to God and all the instruments are stripped away, with just four part harmony in acapella thanking him for the many blessings we have received.

3.  Listening to the beautiful music and raw emotions of My Morning Jacket as I drive in my car.

4.  Going to a MMJ concert.

I guess you could say listening to MMJ is truly a religious- type experience for me.  Listening to them alone is the only scenario above where I don't fight back the tears and just let it go.  I wish I wasn't ashamed to do it in the other three scenarios, because it is an awesome release.  The fact that the band references a spiritual influence of some sort makes me love them even more.

Dee.

http://www.savefile.com/files/163716

Cap'n Goodies sez a lil bit about religion/spirituality there.  

QuoteSpirituality and religion, at least to us, is more of a force than putting a name on anything, more than calling it any certain religion.  I mean, I think we speak to each other and enjoy each other's company and enjoy playing music together and that kind of bond between good music and between friends or between somebody you're in love with, that to me at least is what religion and spirituality is.  I feel like we all kinda communicate on that same wavelength with each other to find value and important magical moments in your life and feel like the spirit talking to you through those moments.

From what I gather, the Jacket religion is: LOVE.  That's all.

ycartrob

Every MMJ song is about Dr. Teeth

(sorry)  :-/

sweatboard

QuoteEvery MMJ song is about Dr. Teeth

(sorry)  :-/

Well, that probably makes Jesus sad.  
There's Still Time.........

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

megisnotreal

QuoteWWJJD?

listen to mmj

SiOuxTribe

"none of this is physical" from Steam Engine =

Jim said in an interview it is something about how only looks have plastered itself into music nowadays and its no longer about the sound and feeling.  just the looks (physical)
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

tomEisenbraun

okay, WAWM was written about a friend who commited suicide. so it's not technically about Jesus. Steam Engine, whether the lyrics say it or not, he sings Jesus. I don't know, these guys certainly have a respect for Christianity, but I don't think it's our responsibility to tear apart the spiritual messages. the guys don't make music to preach to us, they make it to resonate with us. and that resonance ought to be something that defies explanation. some things, like their intent behind a song (especially Dondante) can make it hit so much harder, but it ought to ring with you in some way. their intent should only add to it.

that said, if WAWM says something to you about Jesus, that's awesome. The song still is not about Jesus, but if it means something to you in that way, that's what it's their for. But you can't tell us it's about Jesus, because where it means something on that level, it's in that subjective realm where it means something to any of us.

and i'm not bashing Jesus. Christ is who I live for and in. this isn't an argue about that. it's about the song's meaning. and there's two different levels to it.

i think i said it a lot better in a thread further back form last year...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

TEO

QuoteWWJJD?

I wanna' git that debossed on a silicone bracelet.  
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary