Opinions concerning At Dawn being best MMJ Album

Started by ycartrob, Dec 14, 2006, 10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Everybody knows they finally got it right with Z.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Chico

Nope.  The jury is still out on Z.  Lets run this thread again in 2010.

tomEisenbraun

No, they finally got it right on Z. Tracy's opinion is wrong.

ycartrob

I'm pretty sure I am right. At Dawn is their best album.

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

brkndwnbus

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

EC

QuoteI'm pretty sure I am right. At Dawn is their best album.

"best" makes my stomach hurt.
most played = yep

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Angry Ewok

I enjoy At Dawn very much.

...but it isn't the best.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

tbone

Quoteit is

it is?

no...

it DEFINITELY is!

1.  At Dawn - the bestestestest
2.  It Still moves - the completestestest
3.  TF - the originalistististist
4.  Z - the most differentestestestest

Z is not a completely great record to me... it gets weird for me at track 4.

4.  What a wonderful man - my least favorite mmj song ever.  childish and annoying to me!... mmj's version of "shiny happy people".... that is just my thoughts, i know some of you guys love this track, but it just doesn't resonate with me.
5.  Off the record - not a bad track, a bit different yet that riff sounds all too familiar.
6.  Into the woods - the weirdest song ever.  sorry, but i can't get past the "a kitten on fire, a baby in a blender" line... very odd outro too... it's annoying and another least favorite for me.

To me, a perfect record is one that "flows" from one track to the next.  You don't have to skip any tracks... Unfortunately, i have to skip past tracks 4 and 6, as they don't agree with me at all.  Off the record is cool once in a while, and they crushed it live.

Outside of these 3 tracks - Z is PERFECT to me... i LOVE everything else!!!

Wordless, it beats, gideon, anytime, lay low, knot, dondante are some of my all time mmj faves....

Chico

Quoteit is

4.  What a wonderful man - my least favorite mmj song ever.  childish and annoying to me!... mmj's version of "shiny happy people".... that is just my thoughts, i know some of you guys love this track, but it just doesn't resonate with me.
5.  Off the record - not a bad track, a bit different yet that riff sounds all too familiar.
6.  Into the woods - the weirdest song ever.  sorry, but i can't get past the "a kitten on fire, a baby in a blender" line... very odd outro too... it's annoying and another least favorite for me.

You people are weird...  or maybe I am...

4. What a wonderful man - Probably tied for best jacket song ever (tied with about 5 other tracks).  I can see the childish and annoying...  but somehow they make it work in the most rockin' "big star" kinda way.
5. Yeah.  but somehow this works too.
6. Yeah.  you are right, but another favorite for me.  

Of course, I think they could cover "Right said Fred" and I would eat it up.

So, as I stated before in one of these silly threads, "At Dawn" may be the best MMJ album ever...  But it is still too early to tell if "Z" won't overtake it at some point.  I need another 2-300 listens to be sure.

ManNamedTruth

I have yet to hear a song i don't like. except maybe a few from ch 1 & 2.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Angry Ewok

I've realized that songs of MMJ that I'm not totally hot for, eventually become favorites on the 'repeat' at some point or another... At work, I'll play an album without the ability to skip tracks (usually juggling ink pens and trying to keep from dropping positives), and in doing so realize that I actually kinda like one or two more than I thought.

Nashville to Kentucky, for example.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

peanut butter puddin surprise

well, that's nice.  everyone has a favorite-your favorite car, your favorite mustache, your favorite orgasm-they're all pretty individual things.  while AD is pretty goddamn sexy, i'd say it's up to individual interpretation as to what one considers "the best".
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

midwesterner

Loaded_Question

Why must we label with the word "best?" Can't we agree that My Morning Jacket has put out a wealth of good music? (By the way, if we must use the word best, it isn't Z).