Malkmus, Hold Steady, Jim James, Calexico Do Dylan

Started by Magnix, Feb 27, 2007, 06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnix

Didn't see this posted here yet (I can have missed it though):

Malkmus, Hold Steady, Jim James, Calexico Do Dylan
Plus: Willie Nelson, Roger McGuinn of the Byrds
Sorry, Adam Duritz. You don't get to be Bob Dylan. But guess what? In Velvet Goldmine/Far From Heaven director Todd Haynes' forthcoming feature I'm Not There, six other people do-- including Richard Gere, Christian Bale, Heath Ledger, and even Cate Blanchett. Each plays a Dylan of a different period in the experimental flick, presently in post-production and tentatively slated for release later this year.

A lot of fine folks who aren't playing Dylan get to do the next best thing-- cover the man's timeless songs for the film's soundtrack. While details have not yet been completely confirmed, we do know Stephen Malkmus, the Hold Steady, and Calexico-- with Jim James, Willie Nelson, and the Byrds' Roger McGuinn-- are among the acts giving it the old Dylan try.

Read the full article here: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41426

Angry Ewok

This medication I'm on has got me fucked up, but I'm pretty sure this is awesome news.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

FarmerYoda

holy shit that's so ill...
a fewa my favorites doing my all time favorite!

aMD

I can't wait to see a tracklist for this thing.  Jim's done his share of Dylan covers already, I wonder if he'll try a different track.

Ghosts_on_TV

Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

red

Someone give me an intense high five!   8-)

lime1968

ups and downs, bigotry and open minds, there'll be days of peace, you'll always have the time

DaFunkyPrecedent

going to acapulco is a rare track...where did you hear that?
God damn those shaky knees.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotegoing to acapulco is a rare track...where did you hear that?

Rolling Stone a couple months ago.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Dorothy_Mantooth

the hold steady will be covering a song called "how did we land this gig" THUMBS UP  :D :Da :Ddadfdsdfs
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

ratsprayer

whothrewthecake

QuoteHe is doing "Going to Acapulco"

BASEMENT TAPES UP IN HERE

Dorothy_Mantooth

hey, cake-like dessert, do you remember that time your dad tried to break into the basement of big pink? cause i definitely do. thinking back on it, i wish we would've let him.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

whothrewthecake

Quotehey, cake-like dessert, do you remember that time your dad tried to break into the basement of big pink? cause i definitely do. thinking back on it, i wish we would've let him.

he definitely had an arm in. remember that time we stood and stared at the mountains in WOODSTOCK. i do.

Dorothy_Mantooth

hjp978ahfaf we should do a reunion tour there. by train only.

but seriously folks, richard gere makes me feel icky inside.

aMD

QuoteHe is doing "Going to Acapulco"

Holy shit!  I fucking love that song! I hope you're right.  Basement tapes is one of my favorite albums, period.

BH

How about a short little Calexico/Jim James/Steven Malkmus small club tour on the level of the Monsters of Folk tour from awhile back.  Just throwin' it out there.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

cmccubbin@work

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.