The UNOFFICIAL Music FAQ

Started by The_DARK, Mar 12, 2007, 09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

[size=20]The Instruments:[/size]

1. Q: What instrument does Jim play during Sooner on Acoustic Chorale?
   A: An Omnichord. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnichord
In another time, in another place, in another face

The DARK

[size=20]The Albums:[/size]

1. Q: How do you pronounce Okonokos?
   A: Oh-Koh-Noh-Kohs

The DARK

[size=20]The Lyrics:[/size]

1. Q: What does Jim say at the end of "What a Wonderful Man"?
   A: There has been much speculation,  but no one knows for sure. These lyrics are not included on the Okonokos version of the song.

The DARK

[size=20]The Songs:[/size]

1. Q: Who speaks on It's Been a Great 3 or 4 Years?
   A: Jim's Cousin

The DARK

[size=20]Other Questions:[/size]

The DARK

There we go! I'll be in charge of this thread and take any suggestions you give. Only music-related, no band, show, tab, or taping info. Go!

red

ManNamedTruth

Quote[size=20]The Albums:[/size]

1. Q: Where should a new MMJ fan start?
   A: It depends on your taste in music. Most new fans should start with Z and Okonokos and work in reverse chronological order. However, if you like country, It Still Moves is a great place to start. Don't touch At Dawn or Tennessee Fire until you own Z, Okonokos, and It Still Moves.
country? I think of ISM as more of a southern rock album.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

red

QuoteDon't touch At Dawn or Tennessee Fire until you own Z, Okonokos, and It Still Moves.
I gotta disagree with you on this.  At Dawn was the perfect album to get me into the Jacket.  It's been a love affair since then.

The DARK

QuoteDon't touch At Dawn or Tennessee Fire until you own Z, Okonokos, and It Still Moves.
I gotta disagree with you on this.  At Dawn was the perfect album to get me into the Jacket.  It's been a love affair since then.
Maybe for you, but At Dawn might seem more inaccessible to fans who know MMJ by Gideon and Off the Record. Okonokos gives you much more appreciation for these songs.

TEO

Quote[size=20]General Sound:[/size]

1. Q: Does MMJ sound like Lynard Skynard?
   A: No. Next question.

They may not sound like them, but they respect the hell out of them.  ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

dragonboy

Maybe for you, but At Dawn might seem more inaccessible to fans who know MMJ by Gideon and Off the Record. Okonokos gives you much more appreciation for these songs.
I'm sorry Dark but you just can't say that.
I think there's a big difference between questions like "what's that thing Jim plays?" or "is it true that MMJ were in a movie?" where we can give answers based on fact & questions like this one where the answer in based on opinion & will change depending upon who you speak to.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMD

I'm sorry Dark but you just can't say that.
I think there's a big difference between questions like "what's that thing Jim plays?" or "is it true that MMJ were in a movie?" where we can give answers based on fact & questions like this one where the answer in based on opinion & will change depending upon who you speak to.

for reals.  just the facts.  Most popular song is a gray area but Mahgeeta has to be on the list in lieu of gideon. Also, it's lynyrd skynyrd, all ys.  but seriously dude, leave the opinions to be discussed, we'll answered the stuff you can actually prove.

If you really want to take the helm on this thing, go find the origianl faq thread and compile the questions forum members have already brainstormed.  Then we can all help answer the questions.  

aMD

I been thinking.  Might it be a better idea to just edit MMJ's wikipedia profile and make it really kickass.  That way the information will be accessible to everyone.  I think you have to register to edit or add categories but that might not be a bad way to compile an faq.

The DARK

Yeah, been thinking that. I don't know how to update Wikipedia, though. Do you know? If not, we'll have to ask CC Baxter or the Data Dawg, Kory. I still thought it might be helpful to have a place where we can collect all this data.

And I'll remove all the objective questions. Could someone give me some more questions?

I'll also edit some of the categories.

BH

Quote[size=20]The Songs:[/size]

I still think that's Jim.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DaFunkyPrecedent

it is Jim...im pretty sure.  like almost willing to bet my farm on it.  
God damn those shaky knees.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Question:  1) Has MMJ played everysong they've recoreded, live????
               2) What are all the song names that dont appear on EP or Full LP albums.  Ex: Chills...
               3) How old are each member and where did they grow up
               4) How do they know each other?
               5) Whats Jims favorite movie?
                      - my guess...Easy Rider

God damn those shaky knees.

The DARK

The iTunes review says it's his cousin...

aMD

It's Johnny Quaid, former guitar player and Jim's cousin.  No question.  At the beginning of the message he says, "Hey Jim, it's your favoritest cousin on the Quaid side of the family"  and then later talks about being in the band and that Jim had better finish that EP (Chocolate and Ice) by the next time he sees him.