what do you say, to a person who doesn't like MMJ?

Started by mother_earth, Jan 07, 2007, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

other than fuck you/off! both are always in good taste.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

BH

Just give them a hug and tell them you are sorry that they were never loved as a child.  Tell them there is still hope.  They must look deep within themselves and find the inner child.  Learn to love themselves before they can love others, etc. etc. etc.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ghosts_on_TV

I told people that I felt sorry for them before.  :P
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Jaimoe

I have a few friends (one  married couple in particular) that told me that they don't like MMJ - based on a couple of listens of It Still Moves. I told them that they should give MMJ some more listens. It Still Moves was my introduction but it didn't grab me until a month after I bought it. However, this same couple leaned over to me and my wife on the dancefloor at my wedding in August and asked me "Who sings this song"? I said: "My Morning Jacket". The song was "I Will Be There When You Die".

I can understand some people being put off by the over-the-top reverb and some of the sombre and quiet meanderings heard on It Still Moves and At Dawn. I've even met a few people who don't like Jim's voice. I even understand that. I can't get too mad at someone who doesn't like MMJ, unless they make a blanket and ignorant statement. Of course some people will never like their style or bands of a similar ilk.

Elizanne33

I have only come across 1 person who knew who they were and didn't enjoy them very much. This person was in attendance on one of the nights they were filming OKONOKOS too. Anyway he thought they were alright, but was surprised this last run at the Fillmore sold out. His words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback." I said Uhhuh and changed the subject quickly. I couldn't think of anything else to say. Frankly I was shocked that someone who was there in person when they were filming OKONOKOS wasn't immediatley a huge fan, and couldn't be excited for everyone when their shows sold out this time. His loss, I say.

Jaimoe

QuoteI have only come across 1 person who knew who they were and didn't enjoy them very much.   His words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback."  

Frankly I was shocked that someone who was there in person when they were filming OKONOKOS wasn't immediatley a huge fan

Why would you be shocked? It makes sense to me given the two bands he mentioned.

Elizanne33

QuoteWhy would you be shocked? It makes sense to me given the two bands he mentioned.

yeah, I guess you are right. His choice in music is just different. I just thought that because they are so great live, and he got to see them on such a special night that he would have been more into them. Oh well, I tried my best to convert him but it didn't happen.

Jaimoe

QuoteWhy would you be shocked? It makes sense to me given the two bands he mentioned.

yeah, I guess you are right. His choice in music is just different.  

Different? That's putting it mildly. Try awful.

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I will be there when you die!

Willard1979

I remember playing It Still Moves for my friend's brother, who I thought might enjoy it, but he didn't seem to care for it.  I then copied Z for him, hoping that would change his mind.  Again, nothing.  I guess they just aren't for everyone!  i did take my sister, who had only heard 1 or 2 songs to one of their shows, and she said it was one of the best live shows she's been to in a long time!!  I think she ended up buying Z the next day.  :)

.Walt

i had "it still moves" playing. the owner (who's 24) of the bar i work at was there, and he voiced his displeasure. i really hate the guy. the way i see it, he just had warrant and brett micheals solo shows at the bar. so he can just keep his piggy little mouth shut!

then again its the same guy i asked what his favorite band was, and he said the doors. yet he couldn't name one song. how do you not know at least one doors song.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

sweatboard

Well, he probably watched the movie like ten years ago.  :-/
There's Still Time.........

SiOuxTribe

Its hard to try to get some people into MMJ.  You have to give them time, sneak a few songs in there in the background, and just hope they take notice.  If they are dissapointed in one album and thast all they've heard, dont lose hope.  Try something from every album, (b-sides DEFINATELY) they are bound to attach to at least ONE song, if they have a soul.
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

megisnotreal

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. "

JacketGal

meg, good one!

I guess the way I see it is...either you get it or you don't. You cannot really mock a person for their choices (well, you CAN...) so I just let it be. I try like hell to let anyone I know hear the Jacket and if they get it, I like them even more! Hell,  my Mother got it and she's 66 years old!  ;D
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

BH

Quotemeg, good one!

I guess the way I see it is...either you get it or you don't. You cannot really mock a person for their choices (well, you CAN...) so I just let it be. I try like hell to let anyone I know hear the Jacket and if they get it, I like them even more! Hell,  my Mother got it and she's 66 years old!  ;D

[smiley=beer.gif] Cheers to JacketMom!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ultravisitor

QuoteHis words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback."

It must have been hard to fight back the tears and laughter when he said that.

TheBigChicken

QuoteHis words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback."

It must have been hard to fight back the tears and laughter when he said that.
not creed or nickelback....thank fuckin god they aren't cause I wouldn't even be commenting...creed or nickelback...hmmm...hate to have to think about this all day
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Angry Ewok

yeah, I guess you are right. His choice in music is just different.  

Different? That's putting it mildly. Try awful.

Tell your friend to grow some balls and listen to real music.

:D :D
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.