what do you say, to a person who doesn't like MMJ?

Started by mother_earth, Jan 07, 2007, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

confuseddonkey

thats when my knife rises
their liFe ends and my life starts
AGEEEEEYYUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

TEO

I was trippin' out on another one of your posts when I got the crazy idea that what could make this Band so special to all of us was that WE are the ones that get it.      ;)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ellisintransit

Quote"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. "

This made me crack up.  Perfect response.

My answer is...I think it's a trick question.

Q: What do you say to a person who doesn't like My Morning Jacket?
A:  Not a god damn thing.

my interpol jacket

Tell them to listen to drunk and or stoned. I liked MMJ, but the other day I was listening to it still moves drunk and everyone was bitching. Then golden and runthru came on and everyone loved it, but they didn't like it sober.

Elizanne33

QuoteHis words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback."

It must have been hard to fight back the tears and laughter when he said that.

At first I was pissed. I don't enjoy either of those bands in the least. I was not a happy camper at the mention of my favorite band even in the same sentence as those other two. I'm over it now though, and I feel bad for the guy. It's like that old saying You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I tried to send him down the right path into musical ecstasy, but he chose not to partake. Again I say it's his loss. I do enjoy being a part of this forum, because this is truly the only place where I know there are people who get it like I do. It's a beautiful thing. You are all wonderful wonderful people!

And that loser is going to be in my car tomorrow for a long ride and we are going to be listening to MMJ the entire time, he's going to be trapped!!! I'm looking forward to it. I know he's not going to listen to good music on his own, so I'm going to force feed him. I think his soul needs it. ;)

confuseddonkey

QuoteHis words to me were "who are My Morning Jacket anyway, it's not like they are Creed or Nickleback."

It must have been hard to fight back the tears and laughter when he said that.

At first I was pissed. I don't enjoy either of those bands in the least. I was not a happy camper at the mention of my favorite band even in the same sentence as those other two. I'm over it now though, and I feel bad for the guy. It's like that old saying You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I tried to send him down the right path into musical ecstasy, but he chose not to partake. Again I say it's his loss. I do enjoy being a part of this forum, because this is truly the only place where I know there are people who get it like I do. It's a beautiful thing. You are all wonderful wonderful people!

And that loser is going to be in my car tomorrow for a long ride and we are going to be listening to MMJ the entire time, he's going to be trapped!!! I'm looking forward to it. I know he's not going to listen to good music on his own, so I'm going to force feed him. I think his soul needs it. ;)
thats tough love, right there
you gotta be firm
just keep reminding yourself....its for his own good
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Anu

Great thread.

I don't get it that other people don't get it. But I'm not sure I want them to turn into stadium and arena warriors either.

I love a lot of bands that play big places, and it's never as much fun as what we got going on in the small places with our Jacket on.

Fissure

You get over it and stop being a butthead, thats what you do. If they dont like then they dont like it. Its as simple as that. You shouldnt worry so much about what other people are listening to you freak of nature. Why dont you make like a tree and get outta here.

DaFunkyPrecedent

i tell them, "one day you'll get it...even if its the day when your children are listening to MMJ and asking you all about them and you have no response"

Some people just dont see music as something deeper than just the sounds that come out of the speakers.  All of us as MMJ fans hear the magic.  

I have a lot of friends who like them, as they just like other bands. "Yeah, they're really good"
I have a lot of friends who have never heard them before. "who?"
I also have a lot of friends who think they're boring - i get mad at these friends.
I get mad at my friends who like Widespread Panic and dont like MMJ.  I get mad at my friends who think Neil Young is amazing and Jim James sucks.  Ohhh well.  

Worst thing ever...when someone TURNS OFF My Morning Jacket to put in something far worse...like Phish or Tom Petty or Fleetwood Mac or.... The Eagles or fucking America or some bullshit vaniila music.  

MMJ is kind of threatening...passive music listeners dont like them as much.  Ex. Creed fans.  
God damn those shaky knees.

ycartrob

the same thing I tell people who don't like Rush; nothing.

The DARK

If they listen to classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc, tell them that you respect their taste in music, but when listening to today's music, MMJ is the best around.

If they listen to pop crap like Paris Hilton, or hip hop, tell them that it's okay, but their musical taste will probably change (improve) in the future.

If they listen to faux-rock like Creed and Nickelback, tell them to give MMJ a second listen. If they refuse and say that MMJ will always suck, feel free to insult their mothers, musical taste, and anything else you can think of.

In general, I follow those three rules.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ellisintransit

Quotethe same thing I tell people who don't like Rush; nothing.
YES!!!!

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteYou get over it and stop being a butthead, thats what you do. If they dont like then they dont like it. Its as simple as that. You shouldnt worry so much about what other people are listening to you freak of nature. Why dont you make like a tree and get outta here.

Good job being an asshole.  [smiley=thumbup.gif] It's not really about fretting about what someone else listens to, more like trying to get people (mostly friends) to enjoy something that you feel so strongly about. Most of the time knowing they would if they would take the time to actually listen to the music , not just hear it.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

ycartrob

Hey Ghosts, that little avatar film you have, looks like what's his name and a snake?
Sometimes I start staring at that and like, before I know it, it's 6 hours later and I am late for work...

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteHey Ghosts, that little avatar film you have, looks like what's his name and a snake?
Sometimes I start staring at that and like, before I know it, it's 6 hours later and I am late for work...

Heh, fucking Van Dam. I'm fond of anyone that punch snakes in the face.

Ghosts_on_TV

Actually, when you look at in at the size it is on the avatar, he could very well be punching a huge cock.  ;D

.Walt

QuoteYou get over it and stop being a butthead, thats what you do. If they dont like then they dont like it. Its as simple as that. You shouldnt worry so much about what other people are listening to you freak of nature. Why dont you make like a tree and get outta here.

Good job being an asshole.  [smiley=thumbup.gif] It's not really about fretting about what someone else listens to, more like trying to get people (mostly friends) to enjoy something that you feel so strongly about. Most of the time knowing they would if they would take the time to actually listen to the music , not just hear it.

ghost you get it  :D.

i also thought this thread was over. so this guy brought it back, just so he could say that. like you said what an asshole.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ManNamedTruth

Biff Tannen has some serious 'tude
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

Biff Tannen has some serious 'tude
8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction