Main Menu

TOP 5

Started by realdeal, Mar 23, 2007, 05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realdeal

Through many years of research and developement...my MMJ top 5.

1. Steam Engine
2. Strangulation
3. I Think I'm Going To Hell
4. Where To Begin
5. The Bear

Its Final.

infinitejest

only 5.. ok here goes:

1. One Big Holiday
2. O Is The One That Is Real
3. Phone Went West
4. Picture Of You
5. Steam Engine

and the next tier would be:

6. Strangulation
7. Run Thru (live)
8. Cobra
9. Don Dante
10. The Bear

Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer... too bad he never cries!

drewsdad27us

Dancefloors
strangulation-live version
how could I know
dondante live version
steam engine as the crown jewel....my most favorite song from MMJ

Ghosts_on_TV

Like I said in the other thread...if Steam Engine isn't your #1, then you are lying to yourself. Yup.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Ghosts_on_TV

1. Steam Engine
2. One Big Holiday
3. Dondante
4. I needed it most
5. The Bear
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

brasstacks

steam engine
come closer
easy morning rebel
at dawn
tyrone

damn man there are so many songs that hit the spot every single time. i really like bo's work on the ivories during their prince cover on new year's eve.

Grooms512

hmmm after much deliberation:

1. One Big Holiday (This is what first drew me to mmj.  furthermore, it is a timeless rock song, yet to be outdone by any band.)
2. The Bear (it has personal meaning, but i also appreciate the way it has been perfected since tennesee fire.)
3. Steam Engine (perhaps my favorite lyrics from any mmj song)
4. Cobra (1 A.M, spring night (fuck it, any season for that matter), 24 minutes of bliss)
5.  Lay Low (May not be a favorite for any mmj fan, but it gets my mind whirling)

I'm sure this list could change with every day of listening, but no matter, i know i will always love these songs

red

I'll try, but this is way too hard.

Steam Engine
Can You See The Hard Helmet On My Head
Strangulation
Gideon
Phone Went West

Willard1979

I'm with red, this is like choosing a favorite child.  But I'll give it a shot:

One Big Holiday
Bermuda Highway
Golden
It Beats 4 U
Xmas Curtain

realdeal

Quotesteam engine
come closer
easy morning rebel
at dawn
tyrone

damn man there are so many songs that hit the spot every single time. i really like bo's work on the ivories during their prince cover on new year's eve.

sorry dude, tryone=erika badu

JohnnyRage

If we are not talking versions or live versions, just in general...Something like this...

The Bear
Golden
Lowdown
Mahgeetah
I Will Be There When You Die

One Big Holiday
I Will Sing to you
Phone Went West
Steam Engine
Oxen (How Could I Know)
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

BH

Steam Engine
Dondante
By My Car
It Beats 4 U
Rollin' Back
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Chubbs McMammoth

Currently:
1. Dondante- Just keeps getting better each time they play it, puts me in another world.
2. Steam Engine- Enough said.
3. I Will Sing You Songs- Saw it live at the final show in "Deenver" as Jim said, and it was transcendental. The harmonized "AAAH's" sounded like a train whistle blaring. Shivers sent down the spine.
4. Golden- Live, CD, any version that allows the slide guitar to ring out.
5. Tie between I Think I'm Going To Hell, I Needed It Most, and They Ran (Acoustic)

Damn that was hard. But just for the hell of it:

6. Into The Woods- Wish they'd play the full version live, complete with sound effects, etc. To the nay-sayers, give this one another close listen, this song is absolutely brilliant.
7. Knot Comes Loose- Again, wish they'd play the full version live, what a beautiful heartfelt song.
8. Phone Went - Duh.
9. Wordless - Every time it starts, I have to hear it all the way through. Brilliant yet simple all at the same time, which takes the touch of a true artist.
10. Cobra- Saw it live, parts 1-3. Do I really need to explain?
Ya'll Ready for Some BK Action Up In This Piece?

jeremywku

1.  Steam Engine-- A great lyrical song.
2.  Nashville To Kentucky-- Personal significance because im from nashville and now live in ky.
3.  I Think I'm Going to Hell--  The clip on the website of him singing it in Europe so raw and so good.  
4.  Run Thru-- I love how much Carl loves to play this song.  He gets into it so much.
5.  One Big Holiday-- This is the song to play to someone if you wanna bring the Jacket into their life.

dragonboy

Quotesteam engine
come closer
easy morning rebel
at dawn
tyrone

sorry dude, tryone=erika badu
Erykah Badu (real name Erica Wright)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

johncander

1. Mahgeeta
2. bermuda
3. run thru
4. wordless chorus
5. gideon

songdiver

It's kind of impossible to make any kind of stable "favorite list" involving MMJ, b/c I seem to constantly find new meaning or beauty in their songs, and songs I once thought were just average have, over time, become my favorites of all time.  Here is my top five in this moment.

1.  THE WAY THAT HE SINGS -  (Maybe my favorite song ever, the song that started my MMJ love.  Lyrics are just so appropriate for the feeling I get when listening.)

2.  STEAM ENGINE  -  (This was a grower for me, but w/ a huge payoff.)

3.  STRANGULATION  -  (This is the song I sing to myself when I have any worries or stresses and just want to hide from everything.)

4.  ROLLIN BACK  -  (Never really paid close attention to this song, but one night over mushrooms this song just completely killed me and I love it so much now.)

5.  PHONE WENT WEST  -  (Hypnotic, total out of body experience when Jim James sings this.)

5b. I WILL BE THERE WHEN YOU DIE  -  (Mostly b/c of a special meaning.  I was late on MMJ, and got into Ten. Fire last, and about a year ago, finally giving it a chance, my girlfriend's cat, Pudgy, suddenly died, and took it's last breaths while I was holding him in my arms.  I was devastated, and at that moment, I was playing Ten Fire, and within the next few minutes after the death, this song came on, and I cried so hard for so long.  So I associate this great song with Pudgy, the big fat cat who died far too soon.

My Morning Jacket has pretty much made it impossible for me to make any kind of list of my all-time favorite songs, because if I try to name my all-time favs it just ends of looking like a fucking MMJ set list or something.
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

fitzcarraldo

Nice, nice post  Songdiver!  :D & I think I agree with you on The Way That He Sings.

markcel

Phone Went West
I Will be there when you die
Steam Engine
Dancefloor (Especially live)
Where to Begin