*******First annual "One Big Holiday Camp"*******

Started by sweatboard, Jan 17, 2007, 02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Loaded_Question

if i had enough free time, i'd make a powerpoint and give them handouts in sheet protectors. always got me an a in high school... (well, except for that one time i did a presentation on beowulf and put in a pic of scott baio)....?
bob loblaw?

An MMJ fan and an Arrested Development fan? Does it get any better?
Love the idea of the fan fest, its just that the fans up north are getting shut out in the cold (literally and figuratively). I think there should be globally simultaneous celebration preeching love, facial hair, harmony, and reverb.

megisnotreal

8-)yo, suckas! 8-)
just completed step one of organizing this bad boy. how many people do we think will come? i kind of need to know.

the dude i talked to seemed pretty cool. he's gotta run it past the boss, who is supposed to call me later.

they said it would be most advantageous to have us at the primitive camping site. they can hook it up with electricity for a little bit more.

other things we must decide upon:
would we rather have the rv campsite?
are we going to have kids there?
are we going to have pets there?

talk amongst yourselves, and keep your fingers crossed.

aMD

Good deal.  Thanks a ton, Meg!  

Some questions:
Did he have a price for ya?  
What is the price jump to get electricity?
Does the primitive site have cave access?
Did time of year matter to him?
How much money do we need up front?  Do you get a big break for renting out the whole place or should we simply reserve it and have people rent their own plots individually?

Some opinions:
no kids might be a smart policy, I guess it all depends on the type of crowd we're expecting to get.  ;D
although it'll obviously be cheaper to have it at someone's property I think a campsite in KY is beter than the out of state site if it is affordable.
I think the primitive site sounds better than the RV site.
Pets seem fine to me as long as it's not a problem for the campsite, or a lot more money but that's my opinion.
$Money issues - who is willing to put up the money for this?  Obviously, the more people who pay the less we'll have to put up.  We'll have to sell tickets and maybe t-shirts to try to break even though that is not at all guaranteed.  But if we get a great response and decide make it into an annual event if could pay off down the road.  I guess another question is, how much do we need up front?  Do you get a big break for renting out the whole place or should we simply reserve it and have people rent their own plots individually? (adding those to the questions list)

vespachick

QuoteIf we had a longest nipple hair contest, I would win hands down.

Why, oh, why can I never remember where this string is dangling?  Thus *bump*.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

TheBigChicken

QuoteHow about "From ______ to Kentucky" with a real blank and a pile of sharpies so people just fill in their city...
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

TheBigChicken

Quote 8-)yo, suckas! 8-)
just completed step one of organizing this bad boy. how many people do we think will come? i kind of need to know.

the dude i talked to seemed pretty cool. he's gotta run it past the boss, who is supposed to call me later.

they said it would be most advantageous to have us at the primitive camping site. they can hook it up with electricity for a little bit more.

other things we must decide upon:
would we rather have the rv campsite?
are we going to have kids there?
are we going to have pets there?

talk amongst yourselves, and keep your fingers crossed.
there's something about hairy nipples and kids that seems a tad unsavory :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

megisnotreal

got a voicemail from mr. cave yesterday...

-20 bucks (extra) to get electricity to a campsite
-need to reserve our sites 2-3 months in advance
-can reserve sites on an individual basis

if i can remember, i will call today and ask any other questions y'all might have.

i think i need to clarify that we won't be allowed to throw down IN the cave. crystal onyx cave has hundreds of rare formations that are very...oh, what's a good word... delicate. but we can always get lifted and tour the cave. not that i've done that before...  ;)

TEO

Thanks again for all of your hard work.   :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

megisnotreal

QuoteThanks again for all of your hard work.   :)

no problem!

ms. yvon

ok.  2-3 months in advance.  where does that put us?  late may, beg. of june at earliest.
wilco will be in europe, so my calendar's open.   ;)  how's the weather in KY that time o'year?

i propose that we organize a calendar and have people mark off weekends that absolutely WILL NOT work for them.

also:  if everyone rents space, we don't need to "break even." with a few execeptions, we can make it a pot luck affair, with a general fund for some stuff (power, beer, firewood..   :D )

**i started a job yesterday that will have us working just about every day until the end of april, so i'll be holding the possibility of this event close to my heart for the next six weeks!   [smiley=dankk2.gif] )
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

harpua51

Quotei don't smoking weed anymore. i snort it now, and trust me it a lot more fun ;D

Dude I thought I was the only person doing that....respect

harpua51

Quotecave city = awesome idea. go me. if this happens, we all have to go down to coffey's concrete (this place that sells stupid, tacky, concrete shit for front yards) and take a group photo in front of the 10 foot concrete chicken. worrrrrrd.

i'm thinking i will contact the private campgrounds first, as they might be more down with partying than mammoth cave.

I just caught this thread......HOLY SHIT Yall....this is where I was born and raised!!!!!!...If you guys have this party here, Im so gonna be there.....I will do all I can to help make this happen.  My whole family still lives within hollaring distance of Crystal Oynx Cave.....

This is so fucking cool!!!!!

Oh and the 10 ft concrete chicken is painted red and yellow

harpua51

So when is the weekend that this is going down?  

Angry Ewok

Oh, dude, nobody told you? It was last weekend.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Deez

From Nashville to wherever it goes down, D is in...date no matter to me.
You had me worried!!!

megisnotreal

Pick a date, people.

This is crucial for booking this badboy. Ms. Cave called today, and I had no idea what to say.

Help me help you.

aMD

QuotePick a date, people.

This is crucial for booking this badboy. Ms. Cave called today, and I had no idea what to say.

Help me help you.

Okay, let's do this thing.  So I'm just going to pick a date and see if anyone has a problem with it.  

They need time and we need time. So let's closer to three months away. But Bonnaroo is June 16-7 and I hate to do it the very next weekend so let's say June 29-30.

[size=18]That's June 29-30, Peeps!!!
[/size]

We need to decide whether we want to do two nights or one.  I suppose we could leave it up to individuals and see who shows up on Friday, but Saturday will be the big blow out night.

What do ya'll say?

The DARK

Of no interest to me. I'll be at home one way or another.

On a side note, if this works, I say we move it around each year. There's a nice place, Dewee's Island, near here. We'd have to take a ferry, but there are only a few houses on the island and I think there's got to be some areas of empty beach. There's also Caper's Island, which has no ferry service and is a longer boat ride. But it's uninhabited, and it's a great destination for camping.

Just throwing ideas out. In case y'all need any.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

Oh and we should go with the primitive site with electricity for sure. What is the charge per plot/tent/car, btw?