Main Menu

Book Idea

Started by RastaRunner5, Jun 15, 2007, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RastaRunner5

this idea happened within the last 30 minutes...

i was thinking about compiling a book kind of like a guide to My Morning Jacket's music...complete with setlists of every show they have played, stories, where to get recordings, pictures, reviews, etc... i want it to be definitive with all the information out there (maybe even youtube urls)

Phish fans have done something similar with the Phish Companion...it contains setlists for every show and fans submit reviews and stories...its a great set up and a great asset for fans

i think this would be a great project to undertake and as a current college student, i have had professors with publishing connections

let me know what you think? would u be willing to help out and send stories/ reviews?? i was also thinking of submitting all the proceeds of the book to a charity

again, i thought of this in the last 30 minutes so dont burst my bubble just yet

thanks for your input,
rich

The DARK

Hmmm...you might want to start with Low Dog's page, you could get some good stuff from that.

We don't have all of their early setlists, though.

Good idea though, maybe we can donate some proceeds to the Rud?
In another time, in another place, in another face

RastaRunner5

yeah i would def be up for that...i figure we may have some missing setlists but u never know what can turn up through research and what not....this project will probably take over a year, at least

BH

I would love to help.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

RastaRunner5

cool...i havent been able to stop thinking about this

here are some ideas i have had:

get stories, reviews, song histories from people here on the board and their friends

e-mail some people in the business Chuck Klosterman, david fricke, rollong stone people, etc to see if they want to put in an album review or something

e-mail mmj management to see how they can help

e-mail ato records

look up newspaper articles and see if they will allow me to use them

find photographs and see if i can get rights

amybee

I think it's a great idea.  I would definitely purchase one.  I enjoyed the phish companion and would probably enjoy an mmj one even more.  

rbroady

rastarunner called me a minute after he thought this up and i think its a great idea.

a book by the fans, for the fans.

i think its a perfect time to start this, and if fallowed through, could be something out around the bands 10th year. great timing.

aMD

if this thing happens i'll definitely contribute.  you may to start with management and run it by them.  if you're giving the proceeds to charity they may not care, but the band might want a cut (they deserve it) or ATO might want a cut (whether or not they deserve it is up for debate).  the juvenile diabetes foundation is a favorite charity of the band.  they are linked on the links page.

Sherpa

im in. However I can help.

cmccubbin@work

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

RastaRunner5

hey i'm glad u guys gave me some feedback

i am still in the brainstorming stage...i think one of the main things i can do is set up a website with one of my friends so that you can instantly see when you see me a review or story instead of waiting for the publication

i am real excited about this...if ur ever in barnes and nobles or something, check out the phish companion to see what i was kind of intending

knotcameloose

again, i thought of this in the last 30 minutes so dont burst my bubble just yet

Rich...just an idea in line with the Phish book...I'm unfamiliar with that.
That was done after the band broke up?

It makes sense then for that as a complete look back at the band...
this would be an up to date X kind of thing...
which is great, but it does leave the door open for a sequel or something...
:)

I guess my point is, it will take a while to put together, and say maybe come winter or fall time and a new record and tour dates roll around, would that be included or...
maybe setting up a blog to get Lolla reviews and pictures would be a good introduction or practice or solicitations for writers, etc.

Ideas... ;D

rbroady

I have more than agreed to help rasta with this. To make it happen, i think one of the first things we can do is start a mailing list with everyone that wants to contribute, and we can take it from there. I think then the next step is setting up a site where everyone can contribute, the best option most likely a messageboard. I think the most challenging part of this will be finding complete setlists from '99, '00, '01....etc, those early years have many unknown setlists. We are going to sit down one night this week (hopefully tonight) and figure out exactly what we want to do.

For now just keep giving us input, the more people helping on this, the better.

LizKing531

Don't forget the Inaugural "One Big Jacket Festival"
;D

cmccubbin@work

i think since the MMJ story is a "work in progress" this "book" would be better suited as an online book/web page/blog or what-have-you instead of printed media.  we could create a fan site by combining the awesome dutch fan site and this one and just create chapters based on each year...there could be a narrative section, show dates, setlists, and any interviews we can scrape up and photos and any other press for that year, etc, etc...almost like an MMJ encyclopedia/biography
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

ManNamedTruth

Quotei think since the MMJ story is a "work in progress" this "book" would be better suited as an online book/web page/blog or what-have-you instead of printed media.  we could create a fan site by combining the awesome dutch fan site and this one and just create chapters based on each year...there could be a narrative section, show dates, setlists, and any interviews we can scrape up and photos and any other press for that year, etc, etc...almost like an MMJ encyclopedia/biography
i like the idea of a book more
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

RastaRunner5

Phish actually released 3 volumes

the first during the hiatus, an updated version right before the announcement of the breakup and i believe they are in the process of doing the third now

so maybe more of like a volume one thing