Kentucky songs?

Started by TheBri-Man, Jul 16, 2007, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBri-Man

As a tribute to the guys and because I myself am from the bluegrass, I was going to make a mix of all songs that say the word Kentucky.  The two MMJ's I have are Nashville to Kentucky and I will be there...  I also have Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee, Red Hot Chili Peppers - Scar Tissue, and about 8 others.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  Also I thought I would end it with a version of "My Old Kentucky Home" so if anyone knows a nice recording of that please let me know as well.

megisnotreal

i would prob move this to "other music," but...

kentucky rain/ elvis
kentucky woman/ neil diamond
bowling green/ the everly brothers (neko case covers this song, too)

aMD

kentucky rain - elvis
you have to use randy newman's version of Old Kentucky Home, he puts his own twist on it.  Three Dog Night do an interesting cover of it.
Blue Moon of Kentucky - Bill Monroe

ratsprayer

jew from kentucky - dan bern

it's hilarious.

bug

Paradise by John Prine talks about places in KY like Muhlenburg County, and the Green River.  Not sure if it actually says Kentucky in there anywhere though as I can't recall all the lyrics but it's a good song.  He probably has at least one song that mentions Kentucky though since he's from here (in a round about sort of way)
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

megisnotreal

kentucky gambler/ merle haggard
blue kentucky girl/ loretta lynn
hazard, kentucky/ phil ochs
kentucky avenue/ tom waits
man of constant sorrow/ alison krauss

LizKing531

Quotekentucky
man of constant sorrow/ alison krauss

Oh man, The Stanley Bros are the way to go with this one - I can't help it, Ralph's voice seals the deal on it

LizKing531

And don't forget about Nappy Roots - Kentucky Mud

Tom Waits - Jitterbug Boy - talks about the Kentucky Derby

megisnotreal

there's a line in "o my sweet carolina" by ryan adams:
"i miss kentucky and i miss my family"

BH

The Revolting Cocks do a cover of Rod Stewarts "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and replace the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of Milk and Coffee" with the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of KY Jelly."

I've never heard of Kentucky Jelly, but I bet it's delicious.  Can I get that at the brown hotel?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe Revolting Cocks do a cover of Rod Stewarts "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and replace the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of Milk and Coffee" with the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of KY Jelly."

I've never heard of Kentucky Jelly, but I bet it's delicious.  Can I get that at the brown hotel?
You're joking, right?? :-/
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ratsprayer

QuoteThe Revolting Cocks do a cover of Rod Stewarts "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" and replace the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of Milk and Coffee" with the line "He says I'm sorry but I'm out of KY Jelly."

You're joking, right??????

LizKing531

You're joking, right??????

Really, Can you have a real Hot Brown without heaping helping of Kentucky Jelly?

bug

haha, you guys are gross!

Okay, so I checked on the lyrics to Paradise and they do have the word Kentucky in them at the begining.  John's song "Space Monkey" aslo mentions Paduchah Kentucky.
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

TheBri-Man

Thanks for all the help everybody, I think the mix will end up being pretty darn good.

songdiver

Ryan Adams uses Kentucky on Oh My Sweet Carolina--

"I miss Kentucky and I miss my family
All the sweetest winds they blow across the south."
"where we are, in the blink of an eye you get several meanings"

ManNamedTruth

I don't know who originally does it but Dead Flowers by The Rolling Stones mentions the Kentucky Derby.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!