MMJ Into Jesus? Says Who?

Started by Chubbs_McMammoth, Mar 30, 2007, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteMaybe it is to you, but that song is about a friend of his that commited suicide.

a friend of jesus' committed suicide? hhmmmm, never heard that one.

are you sure about that?

corey

Yes. Very completely positive. Like, for real.

8-)

vespachick

I did wonder about this very subject for lots of reasons but particularly because of the fact that on the back side of the NYE Fillmore MMJ cash that fell from the sky that night there was an image of a cross with the words "In Hoc Signo Vinces" around it  (there is a psuedo Masonic emblem), but:

"In hoc signo vinces" Pronunciation: (in h[ch333]k' sig'n[ch333] wing'k[ch257]s; Eng. in hok' sig'n[ch333] vin's[ch275]z), [key] Latin.  in this sign shalt thou conquer: motto used by Constantine the Great, from his vision, before battle, of a cross bearing these words.

"After the conversion, so-called, of Constantine the Great (A.D. 313), the cross first came into use as an emblem of Christianity. He pretended at a critical moment that he saw a flaming cross in the heavens bearing the inscription, "In hoc signo vinces", i.e., By this sign thou shalt conquer, and that on the following night Christ himself appeared and ordered him to take for his standard the sign of this cross. In this form a new standard, called the Labarum, was accordingly made, and borne by the Roman armies. It remained the standard of the Roman army till the downfall of the Western empire."

Clearly, there's something spiritual going on in lots of ways - or whatever you want to call it.  But no matter how you slice it, dice it and regurgitate it, I personally feel much more at peace with someone like JJ's God than say, W's.  I'm just saying.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ycartrob

well Corey, anyway, speaking of Jim James eluding to Christ in all his lyrics, what's the word on the street about Saban's first season with the Tide?

corey

I've heard that practice is going very well. I haven't read that much though. Jim also says that Saban might be the second coming of Christ in "Sooner".

sweatboard

Quotewell Corey, anyway, speaking of Jim James eluding to Christ in all his lyrics, what's the word on the street about Saban's first season with the Tide?

The word is..............they will still suck balls.
There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

QuoteI've heard that practice is going very well. I haven't read that much though. Jim also says that Saban might be the second coming of Christ in "Sooner".

now, now we're gettin' somewhere...

sweatboard

My friend and I made up a new cheer for Alabama.......

Smelly Pappy
Toothless Mammy
Give Em Hell........Alabamy
There's Still Time.........

DaFunkyPrecedent

aren't all the lyrics about anything and everything?  isn't that the whole point of cryptic writing? They mean something and mean nothing at the same time.

People had the same arguements about The Dead's lyrics.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Chubbs McMammoth

I think you're right DFP. Like a Rorschach test.
Ya'll Ready for Some BK Action Up In This Piece?

Angry Ewok

I think it'd be interesting to see how many people here would be disappointed (if not utterly repulsed) if Jim were to write a song that was blatantly Christian.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

QuoteI think it'd be interesting to see how many people here would be disappointed (if not utterly repulsed) if Jim were to write a song that was blatantly Christian.

well, I wouldn't be disappointed or repulsed, how about you?

aMD

i don't know why it's such a topic of debate.  Jim has come out and said his religious beliefs, but then I know that many of you think what Jim believes his lyrics are about is secondary compared to what YOU think the lyrics are about (hence the what a wonderful man discussion).  But if you're really interested in someone's opinion other than your own, namely the songwriter's, check out the video of jim doing that's heaven to me from regs and the end of the Austin City Limits and you'll have your answer.

Given Jim's thoughts at the beginning of that's heaven to me, i would not be repulsed or disappointed if they did a blatantly christian song.  but then again how could anything be blatantly about anything if it's completely up to interpretation?  

btw, I think "I Feel Like Making Love" is about the Battle of Hastings, prove me wrong!

megisnotreal

jesus owes me seven dollars and sixty cents.

Crispy

Why I think there's a debate:

Opinionated Christians: "I think James' lyrics are about Jesus and maybe non-religious people shouldn't like his music so much because of that."

Opinionated Non-Churched: "I think James' lyrics aren't about Jesus and maybe religious people shouldn't like his music so much because of that."

The rest of us: My Morning Jacket makes great music and I really love it!

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

What if Jim were to perform a song that was blatenly christian, like say, I don't know, maybe Silent Night or maybe even Oh Holy Night?  Would that piss anyone off?

And then, what if he were to stop right in the middle and take his shoes off?  Would that make it better?  Or worse?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

QuoteWhat if Jim were to perform a song that was blatenly christian, like say, I don't know, maybe Silent Night or maybe even Oh Holy Night?  Would that piss anyone off?

And then, what if he were to stop right in the middle and take his shoes off?  Would that make it better?  Or worse?

A Silent Night is about Jesus?  To me it's about Hilter's invasion of Poland and of course my truth is just as valid as your truth.  And O Holy Night is about the dangers of unprotected sex, right? To each his own, i guess.

Angry Ewok

QuoteWhat if Jim were to perform a song that was blatenly christian, like say, I don't know, maybe Silent Night or maybe even Oh Holy Night?  Would that piss anyone off?

Shit, man, what if MMJ was to produce an entire fucking LP dedicated to Christmas?!
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

Shit, man, what if MMJ was to produce an entire fucking LP dedicated to Christmas?!

See.  To me that whole EP is about hitler's invasion of Poland.  "MMJ" is slang for hitler, "does" is obviously a synonym for "invades", and "xmas fiasco" in this context means Poland.  Isn't interpreting lyrics fun?

but seriously, I thought christians weren't supposed to x out christ.  

ManNamedTruth

What if Jim decided to make this his next shirt he wears for an entire tour?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!