MMJ Into Jesus? Says Who?

Started by Chubbs_McMammoth, Mar 30, 2007, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whothrewthecake

jeremywku

I decided to put my two cents in with this line from The Way That He Sings..

It's just the way that he sings,
not the words that he says, or the band.
I'm in love with this soul, it's a meaning that I understand.

I tend to lean on the side that music is more important than words.  Because people interpret words, they feel music.  But thats just a crazy guy from Kentucky.

aMD

QuoteI decided to put my two cents in with this line from The Way That He Sings..

I tend to lean on the side that music is more important than words.  Because people interpret words, they feel music.  But thats just a crazy guy from Kentucky.

I didn't know Jesus sang or was in a band, but you learn something new everyday. I suppose it's impossible to be in love with anyone's soul other than Jesus', right?  I always thought the way that he sings is about this year's season premiere of southpark, for example:
why's it so strange when they say that the world's moving upwards
could it be anymore clear?

megisnotreal

QuoteI decided to put my two cents in with this line from The Way That He Sings..

I didn't know Jesus sang or was in a band, but you learn something new everyday. I suppose it's impossible to be in love with anyone's soul other than Jesus', right?  I always thought the way that he sings is about this year's season premiere of southpark, for example:
why's it so strange when they say that the world's moving upwards
could it be anymore clear?

whatever, dude. everybody knows that the way that he sings is about freebasing smarties in bob newhart's chevy van and then kicking infants into swimming pools.

and for the record, jesus was in a band. you think stevie nicks really played that tambourine on rumours? she just posed with that shit. liner notes, peeps. liner notes.

fan75

QuoteI believe some of their lyrics can be straight-forward regarding religion or spirituality while others could be deciphered very differently from person to person.  That's what TRUE ART accomplishes

Golden - 'And on Heaven's golden shore we'll lay our heads'

What a Wonderful Man - 'And like a loving flock we obey - EXCEPT 4 HIM - He went His own way'

Mahgeetah - 'can he see me? does he feel me? does he know me at all?'

Easy Morning Rebel - 'well the easy mornin rebel, well he has come. come down from heaven, all bathed in sun'

Steam Engine - 'to anyone who wondered what old jesus meant to me'

Strangulation - 'but I know there's someone that loves up above  and want to fix you a dream'

(Quote from "Why's It Surreal" Thread)
Why's it surreal when my hands feel they cant roll the dice?

that one always gets me.

This lyric is about Jim James coming into one with the word of Christ (The Way that He Sings) and not being able to masturbate (rolling the dice) due to guilt and faith.  (unquote)

That make me say WTF!!?!?!? ..... maybe he was joking, but I've seen many like this. Oh well, however it moves you I guess.

That one was mine. And I was totally joking (or was I?).

Point being, does it really matter what the artist is trying to say or isn't it more important what you derive from the lyrics (or music).

There's a couple other threads from the past that talk about the exact place where this thread is going, but I say go for it.

so,

from Z:

Wordless Chorus is about prayer (duhh!)

It Beats For You is about Jesus' heart (WHO COULD SEE AND NOT BELIEVE?)

Gideon is God

What A Wonderful Man = Jesus

Off the Record is about trying to keep sinful secrets from God (as if!)

Into the Woods is about seeking out the Lord through the absurdities of life

Anytime is about when it's right to accept Jesus

Lay Low is really Lay Lord

Knot Comes Loose means the knot of life (fear, haterd, etc...) is coming undone through God

DonDante is about the 2nd coming.

'nuff said

That could be true although I never thought of it that way.  (Lay Lord instead of "Lay Low" is an interesting idea, although I'd thought that the song was about sex or something, from the lyrics... ::))

It would be interesting if "What A Wonderful Man", "The Way He Sings", and other songs where he talks to the male persuasion, were about Jesus/God or Jim's late grandpa, rather than what I was afraid about JJ. [size=9](Singing about guys, I was afraid he was...ya know... :-/)[/size]

Anyway, even if Jim & the rest of MMJ aren't tremendously blatenly "religious" today, I could see how JJ would still have a healthy respect for Jesus, especially since he grew up attending church and a Christian school (I think.)

QuoteMaybe it is to you, but that song is about a friend of his that commited suicide.

a friend of jesus' committed suicide? hhmmmm, never heard that one.

are you sure about that?
Ah but he did.  Jesus did have a friend who committed suicide!  Read Matthew 27:1-10, where Judas went and hanged himself after betraying Jesus. [size=9](Yes Judas was the ultimate betrayer in the end, but at one point he had been Jesus' friend & disciple.)[/size]

Now whether or not Jim James wrote about Judas and Jesus in that one song, is anybody's guess.  :-?

QuoteI think it'd be interesting to see how many people here would be disappointed (if not utterly repulsed) if Jim were to write a song that was blatantly Christian.

well, I wouldn't be disappointed or repulsed, how about you?
I totally agree! Neither would I.  8-)
http://savefile.com/projects/808465307
[url]http://savefile.com/projects/808465344[/url]

megisnotreal

Quote"They Ran" is a religious song.

i just can't believe the fucking wise men ran away with his lighter...

shit. how is the baby jesus going to light all the inscence they gave him????

TEO

QuoteWhat if Jim were to perform a song that was blatenly christian, like say, I don't know, maybe Silent Night or maybe even Oh Holy Night?  Would that piss anyone off?

And then, what if he were to stop right in the middle and take his shoes off?  Would that make it better?  Or worse?

Shoes off would be better for me since Jesus was a barefoot Hippie anyhow.   :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

The DARK

Quote"They Ran" is a religious song.

i just can't believe the fucking wise men ran away with his lighter...

shit. how is the baby jesus going to light all the inscence they gave him????
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
funniest post ever
In another time, in another place, in another face

whothrewthecake

alls i'm sayin is, if i heard mmj coming out of a church, i would go inside that church

megisnotreal

Quotealls i'm sayin is, if i heard mmj coming out of a church, i would go inside that church

what if this happened on potluck sunday????? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Crispy

Quotewhat if this happened on potluck sunday?????  

I'd be all up in that Fellowship Hall and I'd bring some frog eye salad!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

DaFunkyPrecedent

have you heard the At Dawn Demo's - the song Lead Me Father.  Enough said.  

Jim James is for sure spirtual.

remember there is a big difference between spirtuality and religion.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Angry Ewok

Quotehave you heard the At Dawn Demo's - the song Lead Me Father.  Enough said.  

Lead Me Father was written by Johnny Cash.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I was not aware of that though...thanks for informing me.  no next time i talk about it i wont sound like such a FOOL.  

and jonny cash was a religious man no? Jim has also covered a lot of religious songs.  in some live preformance i heard he was talking about how he likes prefoming songs about religion.  Reg's coffee house maybe?  

Maybe we'll just have to wait for the new album to come out to see what the lyrics infer.  

This argument would have been over if MMJ got a Church choir to preform with em instead of a youth symphony.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Angry Ewok

Johnny Cash was a devout Christian, Pentecostal, I believe. He wrote several fantastic gospels.

You are correct about Jim mentioning his fondness for spiritual and religious songs at the Reg's show. He sang "That's Heaven To Me" after saying he appreciated songs about artists' faith.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

I was not aware of that though...thanks for informing me.  no next time i talk about it i wont sound like such a FOOL.  

and jonny cash was a religious man no? Jim has also covered a lot of religious songs.  in some live preformance i heard he was talking about how he likes prefoming songs about religion.  Reg's coffee house maybe?  

Maybe we'll just have to wait for the new album to come out to see what the lyrics infer.  

This argument would have been over if MMJ got a Church choir to preform with em instead of a youth symphony.  

Dude, the answer to this "argument" is in the video you refer to.  He says what religion means to him and what he believes in.  just. listen.  And take his word for it.  He probably knows what he believes, more so than the rest of us anyway.  

I know many believe he doesn't know what his lyrics are about but he's speaking to the audience about his religious beliefs.  It doesn't take a genius to decipher it, he uses language that even most christians should be able to understand.  For the love of God, people!

Here's the video I refer to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__nkSdtxd0

Pookiecool

The lyrics are written "to anyone who wonders, what old jebus meant to me" but it always sounds like jesus on the recording.

Regardless i am not religious but i can tell you right now i am not going to take any perception altering substances at any of their shows in the near future.  This thread has put some interesting thoughts into my head that I would have never picked up on.  Unfortunately I did not really want to pick up on them.  

I love this band more than any band I have come across.  They really do put on the best god damn rock show in america.  it is true american music, you cannot find this kind of shit anywhere else.  

i'd say forget any of the religious connections and leave this music for everyone to interpret for themselves.  it is too good to over-analyze.

Pookiecool

Dude, the answer to this "argument" is in the video you refer to.  He says what religion means to him and what he believes in.  just. listen.  And take his word for it.  He probably knows what he believes, more so than the rest of us anyway.  

I know many believe he doesn't know what his lyrics are about but he's speaking to the audience about his religious beliefs.  It doesn't take a genius to decipher it, he uses language that even most christians should be able to understand.  For the love of God, people!

Here's the video I refer to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__nkSdtxd0

Thanks for that.  That is good stuff.

TheBigChicken

QuoteJesus Christ, people.....

"What a Wonderful Man" is NOT about Jesus.

Fuck.

Um...yeah it is.
Damn and all this time I thought he was talking about Dick Cheney...... :- :P
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

aMD

QuoteThe lyrics are written "to anyone who wonders, what old jebus meant to me" but it always sounds like jesus on the recording.

And two lines later he sings "Your skin looks good in the moonlight / and goddamn those shakey knees".  So if it is about jesus then it's about Jim's physical attraction to Jesus which he chooses to express through blasphemy, which would be kinda sick especially if you actually believe in Jesus.

And if he wanted the song to be about Jesus wouldn't he just say jesus?  It may sound like Jesus but it is jeBus.  The best known use of this word is from the Simpsons when Homer says "I don't even believe in jebus".  So it's more likely that Steam Engine is about Homer Simpson than Jesus Christ.  

I don't know why I continue to try to debate people on this. People will believe what they want to believe just because they want to believe.  And they will believe it regardless of evidence that proofs them wrong, that is, afterall, the essence of Christianity.