NEW ALBUM LEAKED!

Started by ycartrob, Jan 16, 2008, 01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

OK, when the new album DOES LEAK, I challenge all the loyal Jacket fans to not touch it. It's the boy's wishes that we hear it in it's final mix and on the release date, so, I challenge all here to respect the members and management of My Morning Jacket and wait until the release date.

Peace.

mjkoehler

BH

It's like opening your presents before Christmas.  It spoils the fun.  The anticipation is part of the thrill.    

(However, if the date falls back to after the NYC show, I may have to cheat a little.)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

I may listen to some bootlegs of the songs beforehand. But I'm leaving the album untouched until the release date.
In another time, in another place, in another face

red

No leaks, no streams, no nothing for me.  I'm going in clean...

joey_rogo

Nikkogino

I'm getting it as soon as possible.  Why?

Cause I haven't heard any new good music in over a year and I have bought every vinyl MMJ album possible, some of the cds more than once, all of the demo comps, and gone to countless shows to support them.  Anyway, when the new album comes out, I'll buy it countless times.  I don't see the harm in it.......a million other people are going to be listening to the leak.......I'm supposed to let a bunch of bums enjoy it while I sit back cause I'm a "true fan."  

dragonboy

QuoteI'm getting it as soon as possible.  Why?

Cause I haven't heard any new good music in over a year and I have bought every vinyl MMJ album possible, some of the cds more than once, all of the demo comps, and gone to countless shows to support them.  Anyway, when the new album comes out, I'll buy it countless times.  I don't see the harm in it.......a million other people are going to be listening to the leak.......I'm supposed to let a bunch of bums enjoy it while I sit back cause I'm a "true fan."  
Your best friend has painted another masterpiece, you're dying to see it because he's your favourite artist & you adore his work but he asks you to wait until he's ready to to put it on display. So what do you do, respect his wishes & wait like everyone else or break into his studio so you can take a look for your own selfish satisfaction?
You may be a fan of their music but if you access anything that has leaked unofficially then you don't truly respect Jim, Tommy, Patrick, Bo & Carl as artists or people.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Angry Ewok

The biggest negative I see with leaked albums is that sometimes the material isn't exact to the official product... we don't want something to leak that may be a bad representation of the band's work. Word might get out that the album sounds rough, incomplete, etc. - well, go figure, it isn't finished.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

aMD

Your best friend has painted another masterpiece, you're dying to see it because he's your favourite artist & you adore his work but he asks you to wait until he's ready to to put it on display. So what do you do, respect his wishes & wait like everyone else or break into his studio so you can take a look for your own selfish satisfaction?
You may be a fan of their music but if you access anything that has leaked unofficially then you don't truly respect Jim, Tommy, Patrick, Bo & Carl as artists or people.

But "he" didn't ask us. His management did and they are more interested in money than art.  

I also have bought numerous copies of nearly every release this band has put out.  I also had a "leaked" version of At Dawn.  I put "leaked" in quotes because it was given to me by a band member.  I still bought 3 copies of the CD and I'm still looking for a copy of it on vinyl to this day.  SO saying that I'm stealing from the artist or that the artist wants us to wait until June 10th to enjoy is simply not true.  Saying that I don't respect the band is just going too far.

I'm speaking from my perspective, obviously we don't want people DLing and then not buying the album when it's out, but that's a separate issue.  Also, the leaked version of Z was yet unmastered and missing pieces, I think that's really the only reason the band may not want you to listen to a leaked version.  But, again from my perspective, as long as you know what you're getting into I don't think it's a big deal.

dragonboy

QuoteI also have bought numerous copies of nearly every release this band has put out.  I also had a "leaked" version of At Dawn.  I put "leaked" in quotes because it was given to me by a band member.  I still bought 3 copies of the CD and I'm still looking for a copy of it on vinyl to this day.  SO saying that I'm stealing from the artist or that the artist wants us to wait until June 10th to enjoy is simply not true.  Saying that I don't respect the band is just going too far.
Being given a "leaked" copy by a band member is something completely different. They've trusted you with a copy & have given you permission to hear that music before anyone else.

Do we know what the bands standpoint is on "leaked" music? That would help out a lot here. It's at times like these that I wish the band were more involved in the forum. A post either way from someone saying words to the effect of 'the album is finished, if you find a leak go ahead & DL it if you want to just so long as you buy the album' or 'the album is finished, if you find a leak please resist the temptation to DL it & wait until June 10th'

Either way I retract my last post...the last thing I want to do on this forum is incur the wrath of Dylan  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMD

LOL.  I don't think we're going to have to come to blows on this, db.  ;)

No, we don't know their stand on leaked music and we're probably not going to know because I'm sure their management wouldn't appreciate them going onto their official forum and saying, "go ahead and download the leaked version".  But I'm just saying I have a hunch that it doesn't hurt their feelings too much.  

dragonboy

Shit Dylan if it came to blows then I'd make like a tree & be out of this muthafucka!!! (I've seen your photos in the members pics thread, I may lift the occasional pint or 2 but you've got some guns!!!)  ;D

*hums Back To The Future theme tune in his head & makes a hasty retreat!*

DaFunkyPrecedent

i'll just leak the first of the two cd's...is that fair?
God damn those shaky knees.

corey

QuoteNo, we don't know their stand on leaked music and we're probably not going to know because I'm sure their management wouldn't appreciate them going onto their official forum and saying, "go ahead and download the leaked version".

ding ding ding! I think you hit the nail on the head with this one, but I may be wrong. I think that's all I'm going to say about the subject.

getinthevan

Quotei'll just leak the first of the two cd's...is that fair?

which one is that, the gospel or the funk?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

EC

THERE'S A NEW ALBUM?????  HALLELUJAH!

Nikkogino

I would never "leak" an album (finished or unfinished) to the masses.  But if it is in public domain, it is silly to expect everyone to just sit back and wait 2 more months to listen to it.  And as someone said above, Jim's not calling me asking me to wait till the album comes out.  If he did, I'd respect his wishes.  As it stands though, I'm going to listen to anything that pops up.  I don't care if it is unfinished....unfinished MMJ is leaps and bounds above all the other shit being put out there these days.  

sweatboard

Both sides can argue this point really well.  Someone once told me it was like looking at your X-Mas presents early, my response was....HEY, X-Mas Came Twice This Year!  Hopefuly there won't be a leak this time around.  
There's Still Time.........

realdeal

But "he" didn't ask us. His management did and they are more interested in money than art.  

I also have bought numerous copies of nearly every release this band has put out.  I also had a "leaked" version of At Dawn.  I put "leaked" in quotes because it was given to me by a band member.  I still bought 3 copies of the CD and I'm still looking for a copy of it on vinyl to this day.  SO saying that I'm stealing from the artist or that the artist wants us to wait until June 10th to enjoy is simply not true.  Saying that I don't respect the band is just going too far.

I'm speaking from my perspective, obviously we don't want people DLing and then not buying the album when it's out, but that's a separate issue.  Also, the leaked version of Z was yet unmastered and missing pieces, I think that's really the only reason the band may not want you to listen to a leaked version.  But, again from my perspective, as long as you know what you're getting into I don't think it's a big deal.

Good points. I agree.