Songs That Just Now Hit You

Started by The_DARK, Jun 24, 2007, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

I've got one from each album:

By My Car- I never really looked at the lyrics until recently, during the song meaning game. Now, it's one of the highlights of TF for me.

I Needed It Most- I really wish this was better placed on At Dawn. It seemed really sandwitched between PWW and If It Smashes Down. Anyway, it's a beautiful song about just wanting some peace of mind.

Easy Morning Rebel- I thought this sounded way too country at first, but I'm really starting to love the horn jam at the end.

Lay Low- Again, this had some trouble getting past my country filter (I used to be forced to listen to country every day on the way to school), but those last 3 minutes are guitar heaven.
In another time, in another place, in another face

carpenter

yeah, i agree with you about lay low.  i would always skip it because i hated that opening riff and the lyrics creeped me out, but one day i had it going and found my face was melting into a big pool of YESSSS! by the five minute mark.  now i listen to it about six times per day, at least.

it took me awhile to get into dancefloors, too, because the lead bit at the beginning always sounded like surfboard cheese.

i'm still pretty new to MMJ so i'll have to listen to the other two records a bunch more times to pick the sleepers out.

Angry Ewok

Glad you discovered I Needed It Most... that's one of my favorites, it's really beautiful.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

cmccubbin@work

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

realdeal

Still waiting for that one to hit me. But I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

candyass

QuoteGlad you discovered I Needed It Most... that's one of my favorites, it's really beautiful.

I have always thought that song was under appreciated. I really like the line "if you don't know yourself, how could you ever know me."

At first I didn't like "into the woods" very much because the lyrics are so unsettling. Now it is one of my favorites off of z, because the lyrics are so unsettling. it's almost dream-like. and how can you go wrong with a theramin.

megisnotreal

QuoteInto the Woodz

this song is amazing. the day i got z, we went for a "country drive" ( ;)) to celebrate getting the album. i remember making my friend stop his car so we could focus on the song. we listened to it like seven times in a row. good times. the circus-waltz vibe did it for us. and i love how many layers of sound jim worked into this song. pure genius. the first time i listened to it on headphones i was blown the fuck away.

a song that took a long time to grow on me: just because i do. i mean, call me an asshole, but i just didn't like it at first. but now i love it. i often find myself getting drunk and later singing it at eleven.

Angry Ewok

This may sound stupid, but it took me a while to appreciate Hopefully to its fullest extent. Yes, it is a beautiful song, and always has been - but it took some living to be familiar with the feelings in the song from my own experiences. Every song is better when it echoes your own statements and emotions.

Hopefully
I wont ask you where you're goin.
I wont ask you where you been.
I know after a million times you get sick of all my lines,
but I just wanna see you safe again.
Hopefully it occurs to me that there's one thing I cant stand.
That's the thought of a single day, without your head in my hand.
I know that just now I aint been showin,
the kind of love you know that I can.
So gimmie a little time and you'll be knowin your good lovin
baby is back on top again.
I always hoped you'd be showin,
and now you've shown as much as you can.
But after each time im still glowin
with a good lovin smile that's yours until the end.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ManNamedTruth

Steam Engine didn't hit me til hearing bonnaroo '04. It's one of my favoritea now.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Don Dante

These are good ones.  I Needed It Most is up there, took me a while to get that one.  And Hopefully, yeah, I always liked it but it was probably the 20th listen before it nailed me.

Steam Engine's gotta be tops for me though, as far as that one's moved up my list.  Honestly I used to forsake the latter half of ISM, but now I listen to it more than the first half, and I can barely wait for this song every time.  And the way he yells those last two lines in Okonokos have made me yell and cry at the same time:  "The fact that my heart's beating, is all the proof you need-oohhhh!"
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

JacketGal

I haven't had one recently but I do recall songs hitting me randomly throughout the years. The first one was The Way That He Sings, then....Xmas Curtain, Bermuda Highway (Acoustic version), Steam Engine, I needed it Most, Where to Begin, Hot Burrito #1 and most recently War Begun. I love it that their songs have such depth that we can hear songs over and over and then BOOM something grabs you!

I need to listen to the studio records again - get me another song obsession!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

Kimbos_Evil_Bread

Mines probably Dondante.  Theres such a simple majesty to that song it creeps up on you.  That and Steam Engine are the sleeper hits for me lately but DD really cooks.  Some like One Big Holiday immediately jump out at me of course but others, like those two, I dont realize their strengths until I actually play them.  They're some of my favorite compositions of Jim's.

And Call Tyrone is still my favorite cover by them.

[url="http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/"]http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert"]http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert[/url]

thatswhatshesaid

i'm going to have to say rolling back. it starts that beautiful three song sequence on it still moves (rolling, just one thing, steam engine) that almost puts me to tears every time i listen to them.

favorite cover- either northern sky or wonderful tonight from athens georgia......i put on her panties and WOOOOO!!!! dont i look wonderful tonight......classic.

Don Dante

Quotei'm going to have to say rolling back. it starts that beautiful three song sequence on it still moves (rolling, just one thing, steam engine) that almost puts me to tears every time i listen to them.

favorite cover- either northern sky or wonderful tonight from athens georgia......i put on her panties and WOOOOO!!!! dont i look wonderful tonight......classic.

Rollin' Back!  Totally forgot to factor that one in, good call.  That last hesitation and then release (...AAHHHH!) gives me chills every time.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

knotcameloose

I do believe it's Steam Engine for me too...

gotta be patient.

kyjed48

War Begun is a song that has just recently hit me.  The version on the demos album is absolutely phenomenal!
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

ratsprayer

QuoteThis may sound stupid, but it took me a while to appreciate Hopefully to its fullest extent. Yes, it is a beautiful song, and always has been - but it took some living to be familiar with the feelings in the song from my own experiences. Every song is better when it echoes your own statements and emotions.

yeah brad, i know exactly what you're saying here.  i always loved 'hopefully' but one night on a long night drive, the intricate details of everything came together in a beautiful moment i still carry with me almost a year later.  some times a fucking excellent song can somehow keep getting better.  

JacketGal

Quotei'm going to have to say rolling back. it starts that beautiful three song sequence on it still moves (rolling, just one thing, steam engine) that almost puts me to tears every time i listen to them.

Rollin' Back!  Totally forgot to factor that one in, good call.  That last hesitation and then release (...AAHHHH!) gives me chills every time.
+1 forgot that gem myself.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

mjkoehler

Actually listened to this yeasterday. I was thinking the only ones I could think of are Rolling Back and Just One Thing because they are sandwiched between face meltage that is EDIT Law Low Run Thru [size=8](cuz apparently I'm high and cannot remember shit anymore)[/size] and the gloriousnness that is Steam Engine. I now greatly enjoy both as they are nice comedown and put you in the right place for SE.

The DARK

Actually listened to this yeasterday. I was thinking the only ones I could think of are Rolling Back and Just One Thing because they are sandwiched between face meltage that is Law Low and the gloriousnness that is Steam Engine. I now greatly enjoy both as they are nice comedown and put you in the right place for SE.

I assume you mean Run Thru, not Lay Low?
In another time, in another place, in another face