MMJ Tribute Record Volume III - It's that time.

Started by EC, Jan 20, 2006, 11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

wiggum is out of town and asked me to start this thread.

Okay.  Volume III.  I think this should be an all a capella record - who's with me?  

'wiggum picks Sooner.

I can't remember what the rules are.  I think anything goes.  I even think that we could have two versions (or three or seven) of songs.  But I'm not in charge.  

For serious, though, I think we said last time that we could start to revisit songs that were done on volumes I and II.

(Tom, I decided not to pick Oxen because I knew you'd probably want to do it, but if you pick Lil Billy, I might change my mind to Oxen.)

I think an entire album of Lil Billy would be quite fine.

Just kidding.

Who's in?  

For those checking this out for the first time, here are the links to the first two compilations:
www.medusaproductions.ca/mmj/home.html

www.medusaproductions.ca/mmj2/home.html

And I took for granted that people knew how it worked, so basically, you let us know here what you'd like to do, and once we're close to the dealine, 'wiggum will let you know how to get it to him.  He then does a masterful mastering, and there we have it.  Do not be shy.  This is for fun, and it's fun to have nice side projects that don't have any pressure aside from fun.  And it's neat to hear how people sound, and what they do with stuff.
word.
Tom Eisenbraun - Oxen
DD - Dondante
utonynashm - Knot Comes Loose - received
bo_dereks_tits - not sure
Sweatboard - ?
ratsprayer - ?
aMillionDreams - IWBTWYD?
siouxtribe - bermuda highway - received
siouxtribe - laylow? the bear? einr?
TomBarton - steam engine - received
ali - something with violin yar.

Chills

I'd love to hear someone do a version of Wordless Chorus.
Just so you artists out there know
 ;)

tomEisenbraun

I don't think I could really touch Oxen. I knwo I figured it out for guitar, but I don't know what I'd add to it, besides maybe some crazy harmonized electric guitars. But Lil' Billy already has that in it...soo...I may do that. But then again, I've got a band that I'll probably do at least a little somethin with, so we might pick something a lil' more daunting that Lil' Billy to work on...Mahgeeta maybe? Anytime? I'll bring it up...what kind of due date are we lookin at for this?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

QuoteI'd love to hear someone do a version of Wordless Chorus.
Just so you artists out there know
;)

Hi Chillz.  :)  Nice to see you.

Chills

aMillionDreams

I thought the idea of this one was going to be songs from Z.  If not I could contribute a version of I Will Be There When You Die.  Maybe I'll contribute another instead, though, I don't know.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

EC

QuoteI thought the idea of this one was going to be songs from Z.  If not I could contribute a version of I Will Be There When You Die.  Maybe I'll contribute another instead, though, I don't know.
Oh shit you're right, I just went back and looked.  Oh crap.  Now I want to just start this thread all over.  

Okay, let's start it over from this line:
---------------------------------------------------

Hey everybody - it's that time of year again.  We're gonna do songs from Z, and wiggum's already picked...
wait a second.  'wiggum picked Sooner.  

Fuck it.  Anything goes.  You can do I Will Be There, aMD.  

DD

id like to do dondante.

(hey EC, i found it.)   :)
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

EC

Sleazy Rider

I'd like to contribute something ( By My Car ) but I'm technologically challenged and don't have a way, but I would at least like to hear the stuff you guys do, including the ones from the past.  See I have to use the computers at work which I get in trouble for sometimes, and occasionally @ the library. Let me check around for someone in my town w/ digital recorder or something.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

EC

cory, I just posted the links to the first two up in the first post.  :)

If you find a way, let us know, okay?

Sleazy Rider

Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

realdeal

After trying to listen to some of those covers.......i'm really just speechless. Vocally, those songs were absolutely masacred. Creative project but that is really difficult to listen to. Not trying to be mean really, but given that Jim's vocals are almost impossible to immulate, these covers are really terrible. Sorry.

EC

QuoteAfter trying to listen to some of those covers.......i'm really just speechless. Vocally, those songs were absolutely masacred. Creative project but that is really difficult to listen to. Not trying to be mean really, but given that Jim's vocals are almost impossible to immulate, these covers are really terrible. Sorry.

God you're such a dink, realdeal.  Honestly.

a) that's not what this is about
b) who cares what you think
c) shut up and get stuffed.

:)

DD

WHOAH there realdeal.

the LAST thing i plan to do is try to emulate jim or reproduce an mmj song "better" or anything like that.  i plan to put my own spin on it.  do my own thing with it.  mmj already did it their way better than i could ever dream of doing it.  that doesnt mean i cant do my thing with it.

i do a cover of opportunities by the petshop boys.    its one of those things i can play for 10 psb fans and 5 of them will think its a cool take, the other 5 will be cringing the whole time it plays.  

[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

realdeal

You should be proud of that Pet Shop Boys cover. Bet it sounds great.

Forgive me.

SMc55

QuoteNot trying to be mean really,

Boy you did quite well for somebody not trying.

corey

I respect your opinion and all, realdeal, but I didn't start the project because I wanted to show off my voice. I admitted in the other tribute threads that I think my voice is shit. I started the project to
a) have a fun project to bring the MMJ community together
b) pay tribute to one of the finest bands in the country

It's that simple.

EC

AngryEwok just pm'd and is interested in doing art.  Yay!

ali

tom, nice recording of golden - you got the same nice warm sound to the song...
love a song for the way it makes you feel