MMJ Tribute Record Volume III - It's that time.

Started by EC, Jan 20, 2006, 11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

thankya Ali.

hey, i'd be interested in helpin out with some design, i was thinkin we should do the handwritten negative-developement style liner notes, like the jacket albums. and some weird artwork deserving of the inside of a jacket album. that sound cool, mebbe?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ratsprayer

ok, just read this.  whoa meg!  where did you the acapella version idea?   ;)

im thinking about doing something, but ill have to try hard to convince myself.  ill keep you updated.

ali

if there is anything i could help with - non musical unfortunately as i'm currently lacking:
 1) musical instruments apart from the violins and
b) recording equipment

so if there's any artwork / design type of stuff anyone wants to shift my way... that'd be grand
 :D
love a song for the way it makes you feel

ratsprayer

QuoteAfter trying to listen to some of those covers.......i'm really just speechless. Vocally, those songs were absolutely masacred. Creative project but that is really difficult to listen to. Not trying to be mean really, but given that Jim's vocals are almost impossible to immulate, these covers are really terrible. Sorry.

opinions are opinions, but judge the quality or whatnot on whos doing the cover.  i can barely play the guitar, but i still know a cover isnt worth doing if youre doing it note for note and trying to sound like the band youre covering.  why the hell criticise someone because they dont sound like jim when in fact you bitch about jim most of the time?  does knowing the band give you a free pass to be an assjacker?

i dont know the band, and im still an assjacker, so that might make me worse.  oh well...   :-/

tomEisenbraun

Quoteif there is anything i could help with - non musical unfortunately as i'm currently lacking:
1) musical instruments apart from the violins and
b) recording equipment

so if there's any artwork / design type of stuff anyone wants to shift my way... that'd be grand
:D

ali, if you know anyone at all who has recording capabilities and software, i'd love to do some sort of cover with you. there's a website i can send the tracks through and it works like a charm (I did it with EC for the last one, it's awesome). i'd love to make something really interesting if you have anyone you could get to record you for it. I loooooove strings.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Quoteok, just read this.  whoa meg!  where did you the acapella version idea?   ;)
From the Nylons, of course.

I'm just kiddin' about the a capella version.  (maybe)

Quoteim thinking about doing something, but ill have to try hard to convince myself.  ill keep you updated.
mm hmmmm....  you and sweatboard should get together.  you'd get along very well.

Design-wise - tom and ali and AngryEwok, that's awesome.    I think AngryEwok already has a cover idea in mind.  Tom, you can totally do the liner notes.  And ali, that'd be awesome.  I'm going to pm you.  :)

i'm keeping an ongoing list in the first post of this thread.  

Angry Ewok

An extremelly rough sketch, here, of my idea for the cover art...

Explains why the poor ol' Owl was under the knife on the Z album. That's a guitar case under his wing, and a big rig in the distance, btw.

;D

Unless you guys think the idea absolutely sucks, I'm going to ink this, then airbrush it, then watercolor it... I'll probably slice it into a widescreen (similar to the Chapt. albums)...

Any thoughts?

(Be Gentle!)

:-X
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

I'd like to stress that it's an EXTREME rough sketch.

:-[

Chills

Don't be so modest! It looks like a cool idea to me.

By the way, because I want to be involved in this one
I'm offering you artists my exclusive spiritual guidance for this project.

Visit me in India, it did wonders for these guys.

EC

QuoteDon't be so modest! It looks like a cool idea to me.

By the way, because I want to be involved in this one
I'm offering you artists my exclusive spiritual guidance for this project.

Visit me in India, it did wonders for these guys.
Chills, I definitely need spiritual guidance, and will be in touch about that shortly.  ;)  That's really lovely for you to offer your services like that.  

Brad, that looks awesome.  I say go ahead.  'wiggum?  (If you feel like it, you could put somewhere that it's the third compilation.)

word.  Holy that was fast.

Now we just need song songs!   :D

Angry Ewok

How do you guys like my Z owl? I tried to photoshop a background in, for the hell of it... Looks horrible. I forgot to paint his toes, *gigglez*...

Things I'm wondering :

+ Is the color okay? (Disregard the back wings)
+ Is the eye and brow okay?
+ Shape of its body?
+ Position of the guitar case?
+ Like the ears?

After this gets a general thumbs up, I'll start working on the illustration board.

Chills

Chills, I definitely need spiritual guidance, and will be in touch about that shortly.  ;)  That's really lovely for you to offer your services like that.  

Haha, that's cool. Know that I don't give free guidance to everyone.
I had Donovan pay me big bucks. That will learn him rambling on and on about "the cosmic wheel"
 ;)

O angryewok I took a look at your website, love your Jack Nicholson, very life-like.

corey

Wow. Very nice. I most DEFINITELY dig it.

I'm still kind of put out from my weekend trip, so I'll add more thoughts about the new tribute CD soon.

Chills

EC

QuoteI had Donovan pay me big bucks. That will learn him rambling on and on about "the cosmic wheel"
I can only pay you in love and cosmic whee... oh shit.

ali

hey angry ewok the owl looks great!! i love the watercolour / pen & ink, it's very cool

tom, i'd love to have a go at doing something... what sort of equipment would i need? my brother has a 4-track, but i've never tried using it... if we can get it sorted, if you can send me something, i can have a play around with it at my end. the big problem would be microphones etc. i did some recording ages ago for my brother, & i know we did have some issues getting the violin miked properly. how long is everyone taking to get this project together?

EC

we're looking at end of march, early april to have the stuff to mr. wiggum.  :)

violins are H.O.T.  that's awesome.

Chills

I can only pay you in love and cosmic whee... oh shit.

;D

It's ok, just don't trust Donovon and his unsacred wisdoms.
He shall not be your guide to spiritual enlightenment.
Consider this piece of mediocre philosophy...

God is playing marbles
With his planets and his stars
Creating havoc through my life
Through his influence on Mars
That's why I'm stumbling down the highway
On my boots of steel
I should be rolling down the skyway
On my cosmic wheels

In the present position of the planets
It's impossible for me to say
Just when I'll find my course again
With these boulders in my way
On my cosmic wheels
Instead of stumbling down this highway
On my boots of steel
On my cosmic wheels

Can you trust a man who wrote that  ::)

ali

i always thought violins were pretty cool, but i thought the general opinion out there was that they were pretty dorky  ???

corey

Oh, hell no. Violins rule. I have one, but don't have the patience to learn it. Every time I get it out, I get very frustrated and just pick up my guitar.
It's that damn bow. It gets me every time.

This CD could definitely use some violin.