What's the new instrument that Jim's been using?

Started by LoneRider, Mar 11, 2008, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneRider

I was at the show last night in Houston at the Verizon Wireless Theater and noticed Jim was using a new instrument. I saw it once on the KCRW show back in 2006. It's almost like a small synth/drum beat pad. It's the weirdest/coolest thing ever! He used it quite a bit in a new song of their's last night and it was simply amazing. Can anyone help me out on what this piece of equipment is?

Best
LoneRider

BH

Speaking of, is Touch me Part 2 the first time it's been used in the studio, I wonder?  Or am I forgetting about a song?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

I think they might have used it on Sooner...and there's no knowing that there is omnichord on the studio version.
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

Actually I don't think that is an omnichord on the C&I version of Sooner, but I could certainly be wrong about that.   I thought it was just steel guitar and acoustic.   And is that a piano at the end or a xylaphone?

You are certainly right about Part 2 however, but it seems like it has to be there!  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

Yeah, now that I listen, I don't hear it.

So this makes only the third song they use omnichord on (for full-band perfomances)? Sooner, Tonite, and Touch Me Pt 2?

BH

That's all I can think of.

What about Jim solo?.

Anytime
What A Wonderful Man

Wait a minute, should Into The Woods be on the omnichord studio list?   My only into the woods solo is acually acoustic!  I can't remember what the NYE version was, anyone?

The DARK

And is there the possiblity that Touch Me Pt. 1 also has omnichord?

BH

The DARK

QuoteStrident rockers like "Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 1" boast unusual touches, from fluttering synth lines

That sounds quite like an omnichord to me!  :D

BH

I knew they should have let us write the article!  It would have been so much more instightful! ;)

tomEisenbraun

Actually--

Listen to the very end of the recorded How Could I Know...

you might hear a familiar bubbly electronic instrument as those last couple chords play out...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

QuoteActually--

Listen to the very end of the recorded How Could I Know...

you might hear a familiar bubbly electronic instrument as those last couple chords play out...

Nice!  Good call!  Never noticed that.

BH

I thought of another studio song while laying in bed last night.  (Yes, I have a problem)

"Epichord" from Louisville is for Lovers 6