First Impressions of the New Songs.

Started by The_DARK, Mar 12, 2008, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

Evil Urges- An early favorite. Really digging the breakdown and intro grooves.

Highly Suspicious- I like what I'm hearing, but I can't hear as much as I'd like with the audio

I'm Amazed- The pop song they were always destined to make. Would have sounded good at the Prom Shows.

Thank You Too- A really pretty one, sounds like a possible single.

Sec Walkin- My least favorite so far. Just seems to be missing something...

Aluminum Park- It sounds like the solo was axed from the recording, but it sounds great right now anyway. Kind of an extended Wonderful Man.

Smokin From Shootin- WHOA. Someone just opened up a jar of awesomeness in my face. I want the lyrics to this one.

Touch Me Pt. 2- My favorite so far. Disco influence for sure. And the omnichord is a nice touch.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ManNamedTruth

Thank You Too is my favorite so far. I can't wait til thursday, the audio will be a lot better than these youtube videos.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Nikkogino

Highly Suspicious sounds like Prince singing lead vocals for Fishbone.

LaurieBlue

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/03/my_morning_car_ride.html

"Evil Urges, the new CD that comes out in June from My Morning Jacket is going to be one of the best records of the year and the best music Jim James and friends has ever made."
~ Bob Boilen/NPR.org

:o

Deez

I'm really digging Evil Urges, Thank You Too, and Touch Me Part 2 so far!  Highly Suspicious is just making me laugh right now, pretty entertaining.  It was nice to hear the good audio on NPR last night, as opposed to the youtube clips.
You had me worried!!!

markcel

Smoking from Shootin    :o :o ;D  That is my favorite so far.  The only problem with hearing these songs now, its like being told as a kid you are getting the present you really want for Christmas in November, and you need to sit and wait for that awesome gift.   I can't wait to open up Evil Urges and the shows.

aMD

I'm still reserving my opinion until I hear the album all the thru at least three times.

kywoman

what do you  guys think "touch me i'm going to scream" is about?

RoughGod

Smokin From Shootin and Touch Me are 2 favorites for right now.....
Demon Eyes Are Watching

JaredKraus

Im at work right now about half way through this NPR concert. This is a great setlist, the new songs flow great (what I've heard so far) and the audio quality of the concert is wonderful. I had to put my headphones on and ditch the computer speakers, I wanted to hear the detail of the show. I am ecstatic about the new album. Ill see 'em at Radio City.

Peace Dudes and enjoy the show!

Jared
Portland, Maine

realdeal

Smokin' From Shootin' and Thank You Too are just brilliant. My favs so far.

makes me  :'(

BH

Holy crap Part II is special.   Makes me want to run.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

evilPaauwe

QuoteI'm still reserving my opinion until I hear the album all the thru at least three times.

bingo.

- the first time i listened to In Rainbows through i didnt dig it. And didnt understand how everyone was crappin out about it. But now, its easily one of my favorite records of all time. Albums def. need to have time to grow on me.
cheers.

Sherpa

jrod00

highly suspicious is pretty much giving me a boner.  there's my impressions.

kyjed48

Smokin' From Shootin'->Touch Me I'm Going to Scream Pt.2 is phenomenal.  I can only imagine what the album as a whole will sound like.  Loving it all so far.
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

Anu

I'm listening to the NPR webcast for the third time now, and I keep getting goosebumps from the new songs and the old songs are like familiar sexy friends.

We are in the presence of such profound awesomeness that it is kind of scary. I can't wait until late night Roo this year. What magic awaits us?

aMD

Ok. I really like the new songs.  I wasn't sure what to think at first because they were so different. Plus, it always take me a few listens to fully digest a jacket song.

The only thing that is kinda weird for me is that I can feel them starting to really "make it".  Headlining their own tour, media darlings, and all that.  The weird part is that I thought that that shit was going to happen with ISM and hits like "One Big Holiday" but it's this that's going to make them popular?  Not that there's anything wrong with the new songs, it's just such a departure from there old stuff.  I don't know if I'm making any sense or not.  Bottom line: the new stuff's good.  My favorites so far are Thank You Too and Smokin from shootin.

ManNamedTruth

Thank You Too is still my favorite. Highly Suspicious is growing on me, it was stuck in my head today. It is kind of a silly song.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

aMD

Highly Suspicious sounds like prince singing for the Talking Heads to me.  I love both those bands so it's only natural that I like this song, although it is VERY different than anything they've ever done before.