Favorite MMJ songs, and why?

Started by mickeyreds, Jan 31, 2008, 08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyReds

I know it's hard to pick one song, so maybe you could list a few. At Dawn makes me feel like I am laying in a field on a cloudy day in Scotland. I dont know why. But that is my Idea of a good time. :D
As long as you keep a straight face...

BH

Rollin' Back makes me feel like the sun is shining, even when it's not.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

The DARK

Dondante sounds like angels delivering me a final message from someone long gone that I never knew.  :'(
In another time, in another place, in another face

mtngurl

Steamengine, lying under a bagillion stars at the lake brings tears to my eyes,  my daughter singing Phone went west makes me laugh, dancefloors live makes me want to shake my shit. They literally have a song for every emotion and occasion in my live and for that God Bless 'em!!
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.

thatswhatshesaid

mine changes on a day to day basis, so thats a question.....well, its hard to say. lay by the bay. i just may. sleep on some hay. thanks mmj.

pawpaw

I Think I'm Going To Hell - It's equally apocalyptic and beautiful sounding. It's just such a bold statement to sing (I love I Will Be There When You Die for the same reason), and Jim sings it SO sincerely. I love that song.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Taterbug

QuoteI Think I'm Going To Hell - It's equally apocalyptic and beautiful sounding. It's just such a bold statement to sing (I love I Will Be There When You Die for the same reason), and Jim sings it SO sincerely. I love that song.

Yes,  also one of my favorites, It rings home al liittle bit for me,  
"I was born in east kentucky , only were the grass has died."   I have alot of my family in Pikeville, KY. ( eastern Ky ) and there is alot of poverty there, hardly no middle class, only the  haves and have nots.  
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

easy jim

The Tennessee Fire is the soundtrack of my thoughts.  Walking down the sidewalk, in class, all day.
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

bearass

straaaaaaaangulation! right now anyway

ycartrob

Quotestraaaaaaaangulation! right now anyway

ditto

that or one of those War Begun live bootlegs from 2004.

LEATHER KID

Steam Engine.  It will make you cry and also rock your balls off.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Evans kicked head

Steam Engine has been a top fav...and when I finally saw it played live in Cleveland in '06, i did get teary-eyed.  my friend probably thought i was a big baby...but who cares.  I felt so completely lifted and forgot about everything else on the planet.

I also love By My Car.  The live version on AcousticCitsuoca (vinyl-only) is utterly by far my favorite live song I've heard (not to mention that entire EP is the most beautiful thing i've heard from Mr. James...period).  If anyone reading this doesn't yet own that EP, run...don't walk...run out and own it immediately.  And the fact that this last track is not on the CD is down right criminal.  CRIMINAL!

easy jim

QuoteSteam Engine has been a top fav...and when I finally saw it played live in Cleveland in '06, i did get teary-eyed.  my friend probably thought i was a big baby...but who cares.  I felt so completely lifted and forgot about everything else on the planet.

I also love By My Car.  The live version on AcousticCitsuoca (vinyl-only) is utterly by far my favorite live song I've heard (not to mention that entire EP is the most beautiful thing i've heard from Mr. James...period).  If anyone reading this doesn't yet own that EP, run...don't walk...run out and own it immediately.  And the fact that this last track is not on the CD is down right criminal.  CRIMINAL!

definitely a kick ass album...Sooner fucking rocks on it
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

tomEisenbraun

I've seen them five times (even at the Ryman, dammit!) and still have yet to hear Steam Engine. You guys who have seen it live have experienced something truly special.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

BH

QuoteI've seen them five times (even at the Ryman, dammit!) and still have yet to hear Steam Engine. You guys who have seen it live have experienced something truly special.

I've seen them twice and haven't got it yet either.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

red

1/1 for me and Steam Engine!

vespachick

QuoteSteam Engine has been a top fav...and when I finally saw it played live in Cleveland in '06, i did get teary-eyed.  my friend probably thought i was a big baby...but who cares.  I felt so completely lifted and forgot about everything else on the planet.

I have a theory that Evans Kicked in Head is our boy rccola/creepy in new clothes.  Just a feeling. I hope so.  (Did RC come from Cleveland?  I don't know, but it feels right.)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI've seen them five times (even at the Ryman, dammit!) and still have yet to hear Steam Engine. You guys who have seen it live have experienced something truly special.

only saw them once and they played it!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

tomEisenbraun

hey, i've got the mp3 of that version of By My Car if anyone wants it--I'll host it in a few here so you don't have to email me for it...

until then---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2z15hQhP3w&feature=related
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.