*SPOILER*  New Album Discussion

Started by sweatboard, Jul 14, 2005, 05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Is it that dude from Fleet Foxes?
There's Still Time.........

Jon T.

QuoteLibrarian isn't sung by Jim

Huh? Didn't hear it yet, but I can't see that being true.
No, no he's right.  It's Prince.

cmccubbin@work

QuoteIs it that dude from Fleet Foxes?

nope...the dude from Band of Horses dueting with the dude from Fleet Foxes!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteLibrarian isn't sung by Jim

Huh? Didn't hear it yet, but I can't see that being true.
No, no he's right.  It's Prince.

I actually just found out it is ghost r&b Jerry Garcia.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

mcarroll

As with every MMJ album before it, this one is a grower for me.  After the first 3 or 4 listens I wasn't really sure what to think of it.  But now that I have a few more under my belt, it is becoming severely addicting.  I think it is never wise to review an MMJ album until you've listened to it at least 10 times as their songs almost always take a while to really reveal themselves.  My faves so far are I'm Amazed, Thank You Too (sounds sappy at first listen but, man, I love it now - great production and great playing, especially during the guitar solo), and the Smokin' From Shootin' and Touch Me Part 2 combo.  As far as Highly Suspicious, I think there are some great ideas in that song but it is poorly executed, mostly in the beginning verses.  Jim is just singing out of his range, which is understandable if you can't quite hit it live, but you shouldn't be singing something you can't hit when recording an album.  The good news is that Highly Suspicious fucking ripped live once the dual guitars came in at SXSW.  If you aren't really digging the album, give it a few more listens and it quite possibly will change your mind.