Evil Urges Drumming

Started by seanbmf, Apr 26, 2008, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanbmf

Hello all,

Long time viewer and fan, first post.  I was wondering if Patrick uses one bass pedal or two.  A friend and I were discussing this after listening to the amazing drumming on the new song Evil Urges.

Thanks.
5/20/06 11/13/06 12/4/06 8/24/08 9/6/08 10/3/09MoF  10/18/10

evilPaauwe

my guess is double bass pedal.

but patrick hallihan must not be human because his drumming is mindblowing. the drumming he does in the begining of evil urges gets me each time.
cheers.

oldseptblues

I think he is using a single pedal and using a heel-toe method

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAPR9lHpxCg&feature=related

corey

I asked him if he uses one pedal or two after seeing him tear the shit outta the end of "Wordless Chorus" a couple of years ago. He said he does it "Bonham-style".  :)

tomEisenbraun

exactly. check out any of the recorded live versions of Moby Dick and you'll hear it all over there. The man never touched a double-bass pedal.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

neel

That is definitely single pedal material.

Here is the prototypical double stroke bass lick: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3m6RlTSKY-0

Bonham did it in triplet time there, but pat is pulling off the more manageable 16th notes.

tomEisenbraun

yeah, right around 33 seconds?

a really good example of Pat going nuts on it is in Wordless Chorus at the end, when shits starts gettin downright frenetic. Listen to his foot. Probably an even better example than Evil Urges. I think that one counts for triplet time?

neel

I wasn't entirely sure that pat was playing those four note bass rolls in Wordless Chorus. That's really impressive if he is. Far beyond average "single pedal material."

travisr

check out Primus' song "Camelback Cinema"....nice drums. Similar drum technique.

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI wasn't entirely sure that pat was playing those four note bass rolls in Wordless Chorus. That's really impressive if he is. Far beyond average "single pedal material."

He definitely is. You seen it live yet? That's definitely his right foot all over the place.

neel

I haven't seen the group live yet (relatively recent convert, a little after okonokos came out).

I thought that it could be a drum machine, since they use drum machines here and there. Thats crazy that he can get those four notes on one foot.

tomEisenbraun

Haha, I know. But once you see the guy in person, you'll realize that the man is a fricking wall. I don't have any problem seeing how he does it. He's a serious bear.

The DARK

QuoteI wasn't entirely sure that pat was playing those four note bass rolls in Wordless Chorus. That's really impressive if he is. Far beyond average "single pedal material."

He definitely is. You seen it live yet? That's definitely his right foot all over the place.

If I remember right, he put a hole through his kick drum at some point on the Z tour.  ;D
In another time, in another place, in another face

tomEisenbraun

weeniebeenie

QuoteI asked him if he uses one pedal or two after seeing him tear the shit outta the end of "Wordless Chorus" a couple of years ago. He said he does it "Bonham-style".  :)
But of course! Man, he is an amazing drummer. :)
How loud can silence get?