The Already Weak Until June 10 Thread

Started by Bigsky, Apr 23, 2008, 04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsky

I actually have not downloaded or listened to the new album (besides the bootlegs and released tracks) and I hope to be strong until June 10th. I was just curious who out there in MMJ world has been weak...
Anybody willing to confess?

RandallFlagg

I put it on my Ipod as soon as it leaked. I have to buy the vinyl anyway, and everybody else has it so why not? Plus, I'm going to the Toronto show and I'll likely buy a t-shirt there. I mean, I think it would be a little different if it was a week or two before the actual release, but almost two months? c'mon. I don't believe half the ppl on here that are saying they're waiting anyway, they're probably listening to it right now.

kyjed48

I caved the second I saw it had leaked!  It's like trying to quit smoking and someone throws a pack of cigarettes in your lap.  
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

Bigsky

QuoteI caved the second I saw it had leaked!  It's like trying to quit smoking and someone throws a pack of cigarettes in your lap.  

Nicely put. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I know what you mean. Honestly, the only thing that saved me from downloading the link is that I didn't visit this forum when it was posted. Thank you for confessing your sins...

Jon T.

I dl'd.  It's excellent.  I don't think I'm weak for doing so.  But, if it makes you feel strong holding out, good for you.   :)

kyjed48

QuoteI caved the second I saw it had leaked!  It's like trying to quit smoking and someone throws a pack of cigarettes in your lap.  

Nicely put. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I know what you mean. Honestly, the only thing that saved me from downloading the link is that I didn't visit this forum when it was posted. Thank you for confessing your sins...

I felt a little guilty at first.  But the more I listen to it, the happier am I with my decision!    And to all you guys who have more self control than me, congratulations.  You're in for a treat June 10th!
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

Kimbos_Evil_Bread

[url="http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/"]http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert"]http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert[/url]

corey

Quote(besides the bootlegs and released tracks)

I started a whole new thread about this, but it's been skirted around. I want to know why people think that it's so bad to listen to the album, but they'll listen to a shitty camera version of a live track on Youtube that sounds 10 times worse than a leak.

I'm not saying that listening to the leak is right or wrong. I just want to know why people think it's OK to listen to shitty live recordings as opposed to the leak.

jordan

I got it because I'd like to be familiar with the new songs before I see them at Bonnaroo since 3-4 days prior isn't enough time.

weeniebeenie

I still haven't downloaded it but I think it's okay to do so if you genuinely love the band (which I know you guys do ) and are going to buy the record anyway, but I still like the idea of going down to the store and buying it on the day it comes out, and judging from where I live I'll be the only one who does.
How loud can silence get?

Bigsky

Quote(besides the bootlegs and released tracks)

I started a whole new thread about this, but it's been skirted around. I want to know why people think that it's so bad to listen to the album, but they'll listen to a shitty camera version of a live track on Youtube that sounds 10 times worse than a leak.

I'm not saying that listening to the leak is right or wrong. I just want to know why people think it's OK to listen to shitty live recordings as opposed to the leak.

Legally there is a big difference "to listen to shitty live recordings as opposed to the leak." MMJ allows their shows to be taped, so the live recordings are for everyone to share. The album, on the other hand, is covered in recording rights and royalties, which belong to the label, who passes a portion on to the band.

Personally I think it's fine to do both. If you listen to bootlegs, leaks, or a purchased album the important thing is that your listening. And if you like what you hear you will naturally support the band in other ways.

Bigsky

QuoteI dl'd.  It's excellent.  I don't think I'm weak for doing so.  But, if it makes you feel strong holding out, good for you.   :)

It doesn't make me feel strong, it just makes me feel good that I am respecting the wishes of a band that I enjoy so much. MMJ gives me such bliss, this is the least I can do...

Jon T.

QuoteI dl'd.  It's excellent.  I don't think I'm weak for doing so.  But, if it makes you feel strong holding out, good for you.   :)

It doesn't make me feel strong, it just makes me feel good that I am respecting the wishes of a band that I enjoy so much. MMJ gives me such bliss, this is the least I can do...

That's kind of what I meant.  I wasn't being an ass.  If holding out makes you "feel good", then good for you.    :)

Bigsky

That's kind of what I meant.  I wasn't being an ass.  If holding out makes you "feel good", then good for you.    :)

If saying "good for you" makes you feel good, than good for you...only joking...Thanks Jon T.

bold99

I put it on my ipod immediately, I could never wait...that is just insane.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

catwooly

jacket is my inspiration so of course i d/l'd it... but its not like im NOT gonna go out and buy the album as soon as it hits the shelves. gotta support the band even though the band only gets like less than 4% of record sales? anyways i gotta say, i cant see what all the talk is about EU not being good or "jacketesque" ... in my opinion its amazing. the only song i didnt, for lack of better words, "expect" was highly suspicious. but part of songwriting is inpiration and influence and im not comparing that diddy to Prince, but i have read that Prince is one of their influences. i love the whole album. and for all the christian haters. get over it. im not a christian but im not gonna dog jim for being himself. thats ridiculous.

Caseydog

I did the dirty, but I also made a preorder purchase from Amazon.com before I even listened to it once.

It's a fantastic album, but then again so are their other albums, so it was no surprise to me.

moflojo

I posted this on the staying strong thread as well. just looking for opinions... :

I have yet to listen to evil urges even though I have it at my fingertips, I have remained strong. Espicially after reading the statement released by the band about them being 'old fashioned' and not wanting listeners to have it until they say so. MMJ does so much for their fans that I really want to respect their take on this. and...

I read the radiohead article from rolling stone about how they ditched the record industry with the IN RAINBOWS download. When Thom  was asked about it, he said something along these lines about past albums that leaked: "theres a compliment there, the fact that people want to get ahold of what youve done. but if its not the difinitive version, if the ends are chopped off, if you havent made the choice to do it yourself, its a bit unfair. Bad karma. So it felt liberating to take complete control."

That Bad Karma line is really getting to me.   But I do have this one question: If MMJ or their label or whoever is in charge didnt want Evil Urges to leak, than why did they send it to press/media/radio so early. Obviously someone within the media or record label is the one leaking it. Are they really expected to and trustworthy enough not to make it available to a much wider array of people outside their industry?

So with that thought I kinda do wanna listen very badly to it. Why media first? why not true and all fans as well as media, at the same time.

I still have not listened to it, but i may need further convincing and perhaps this questioned discussed/answered. Gimmie some feed back.

Still holdin strong...

sweatboard

For me it comes down to two issues...

1. Is it going to ruin your first listening experience, if you are listening to crappy mp3 files and you don't have the artwork, and you can't smell it?

2. When you do buy the record is it going to ruin that experience?  

I've found in my specific case I answer "no" to both questions.  I also came to terms a long time ago with the issue of file sharing, so for me the issues are moot.  I'm not going to waste too much time on how a record company thinks they can make the most money.  They can do whatever they like, when the album is finished I'll listen to it, if the quality sucks I'll take that into consideration, I've listened to some pretty shity bootlegs and still LOVED my listening experience.  When I get the Vinyl Record I'll enjoy that listening experience for what it is as well.  

Disclaimer - I think if you want to wait that's GREAT!!!  I'm happy that you are going to get to enjoy the record the way you want to, and the way the band would prefer it.
There's Still Time.........

DD

the copy i downloaded was cd quality.  no mp3s for me.

i download a lot of albums these days.  i used to be pretty against it.  but now im not.  when i download something if i dont like it i delete it.  if i like it i do my damndest to find it and buy it.  much of what i download is older stuff so a lot of it i can find on vinyl.

and yes.  i will be buying this record in multiple formats.  usually i try and buy mmj records AT the mmj show as i believe they get more or most or all of the money from the albums that are actually sold at shows vs those sold in record stores.

oh and NO i wont give you a copy of the version i have so stop asking.  :-X
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails