Evil Urges discussion........

Started by vedderhoon, Jun 09, 2008, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vedderhoon

(probably will be reprimanded for this one) But the new album sucks period! It is as if the entire band came out of the closet to announce they're all gay! I miss the jams, I miss the at times psych rock, and most of all I miss the reverb. This album reminds me of the village people or something that gay! I think JJ has let the critics get to him. The Radiohead comparison possibly was the downfall to this band, Urges sounds as if the band is trying too hard to be too "one of a kind". it works for radiohead but this album reaks of gayness!
Don't take the post out of context, I'm not bashing gays I'm just stating that the album has a gay feel to it just as YMCA did. That might not be a bad thing for most cats these days but I'll listen to pre Urges MMJ.

Jon T.

In the words of Johnny Ringo, "well.....bye".

ycartrob

Quote(probably will be reprimanded for this one) But the new album sucks period! It is as if the entire band came out of the closet to announce they're all gay! I miss the jams, I miss the almost psych rock, and most of all I miss the reverb. This album reminds me of the village people or something that gay! I think JJ has let the critics get to him. The Radiohead comparison possibly was the downfall to this band, Urges sounds as if the band is trying too hard to be too "one of a kind". it works for radiohead but this album reaks of gayness!

thanks for your input veddarhoon and welcome to the board! and thanks for steering clear of any homophobic references! your post is spot on! hopefully we'll get more posts like yours in the future b/c one thing this board is surely missing is objectivity! old timers like me will pretty much like anything MMJ puts out, but I believe fresh faces like yours will allow me to really put some perspective on what the new direction is all aobut!

thanks! and keep those posts coming!  we love it! we love you!  :)

The DARK

...exit vedderhoon (hopefully)  :-/
In another time, in another place, in another face

Bigsky

THE BEST WAY TO DEAL WITH NEGATIVE NANCIES IS TO EGNORE THEM...THEY HAVE NO POWER...THEY HAVE NO POWER

getinthevan

QuoteIn the words of Johnny Ringo, "well.....bye".

I love that movie.  Can this thread become a discussion about how awesome Tombstone is?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Jon T.

I love that movie.  Can this thread become a discussion about how awesome Tombstone is?

You're a daisy if you do.

getinthevan

You're a daisy if you do.

I'm you're huckleberry.

The DARK

I never watched that movie. How awesome is it?
In another time, in another place, in another face

getinthevan

I never watched that movie. How awesome is it?

The awesomeist.  So awesome, that I'm going to go watch it right now instead of going to bed.  (Will regret that decision in about 3 hours when I have to wake up.)

ycartrob

TFowl

Bigsky

Good job guys...see, the troll went away...now it's all nice and wonderful in the valley.

the_wizzard

This is posted in another thread, but veederhoon should read a little bit about Jim's motivation behind making the albums new and fresh.
http://www.chimpomatic.com/articles/17403/my-morning-jacket/

While he may not agree with the motivation or even like Evil Urges...shit, he ain't Jim.  And it is not his art/music.  I personally feel sorry for those who rant so about this album.  i fucking love Evil Urges and cannot wait to listen to it on vinyl (the way both bob ludwig and jim suggest).
And to all who feel that it is cool to provoke on this forum, well I feel sorry for you (grow up...).  And from now on this is my stance:

rob

Quote i fucking love Evil Urges and cannot wait to listen to it on vinyl (the way both bob ludwig and jim suggest).

When/where did they suggest that? Something in the CD booklet?
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

the_wizzard

Quote i fucking love Evil Urges and cannot wait to listen to it on vinyl (the way both bob ludwig and jim suggest).

Bob Ludwig was quoted in the most recent Rolling Stone and shit, I will hunt down the interview with Jim.  he talks of the how "Two Halves" being in the middle is not an accident.  He then proceeds to talk about how it is 4 sections, and implies that is the only way to truly understand the album as a whole....
I will look for it.

the_wizzard

[size=16]Found it![/size]

In many ways, Evil Urges is actually two very different albums, conceptually spit down the middle by, appropriately enough, the song "Two Halves." For lack of a better term, the disc's A-Side is the more experimental half, driven by studio gimmicks and Hallahan's big, funky beats. The album's B-Side is more traditional MMJ, filled with modern classic-rock moments and a few more gentle interludes. And while the album's A-Side was clearly sequenced upfront for a reason, it's the record's B-Side that echoes through my head, especially the soft, haunting "Librarian," a vintage MMJ moment that could fit on Neil Young's Harvest were it not for the malapropism referencing "the interweb."

"We kind of had fun with the sequencing," James continues. "When you get the vinyl, you can kind of see it. It is going to be a double-disc vinyl with four sides. I think the record kind of flows more in four quadrants than two-halves, though there is a song on it called 'Two Halves' halfway through."

"Not a mistake," he says with an assured wink. "We started out with more songs than we knew we'd end up with, so we kind of whittled the songs away. In that way, the album kind of makes itself work out, because sometimes you might want a song to work and it just won't. So we recorded 15 we decided that these were the ones that kind of worked together and then we labored over the sequence and tried to make it a journey. "

link to the whole interview here:
http://www.jambands.com/Features/content_2008_05_23.07.phtml

rob

Bob Ludwig was quoted in the most recent Rolling Stone and shit, I will hunt down the interview with Jim.  he talks of the how "Two Halves" being in the middle is not an accident.  He then proceeds to talk about how it is 4 sections, and implies that is the only way to truly understand the album as a whole....
I will look for it.

How cool, thanks. Not ready to go back to vinyl here, but I'll remember that about Two Halves when I play the CD.....ha. Glad Ludwig mastered the CD.....a definite added bonus.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

the_wizzard

Quote from Rolling stone with Bob's pics on how to buy a couple albums (vinyl vs. cd):

Ludwig mastered MMJ's new disc (out in June) in the highest digital resolution possible.  "In theory, the vinyl release will have one additional top octave that the CD won't have," he says.  "The lower-level distortions in digital won't be there on vinyl, and the higher sampling rate means the high frequencies can be a little smoother than on CD.  It's got good dynamics for a pop record and interesting guitar tones."
[size=12]BUY IT ON: VINYL[/size]

Mi Chaqueta

"that's not what he said you wretch......your spanish is worse than your english."

continuing the Tombstone talk........