Evil Urges discussion........

Started by vedderhoon, Jun 09, 2008, 07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybones

I miss the jams, I miss the at times psych rock, and most of all I miss the reverb. >>>

I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty of these elements at the live shows.  After all they have 4 previous albums of material to play from. So you won't have to miss it for long. As for the new record...get out of your comfort zone dude.  Did you want them to just regurgitate their previous sound.  You seem like somewhat of a fairweather fan to me who probably would have dismissed Dylan after plugging in.  By the way EU is not completely reverbless.  

I think JJ has let the critics get to him.>>

Yeah I 'm pretty sure that is what happened.  Jim "pushover" James who has been heralded by the most respected critics in the business as well as multiple musical colleagues (Dave Grohl, Eddie Vedder, M. Ward, etc, etc) as one our generations gifted songwriters drawing from influences both past and present has decided to have his musical direction dictated by a few unfavorable reviews of his previous work.  And what he ended up doing was making a damn fine record that is actually in keeping with his previous emotional tones.  Honest, From the Heart, Rockin', Soulful, Playful and Theatrical, Both Organic and Electronically melodic and rhythmic as it stews genres to an explosive boiling point leaving one big emotionally orgasmic mess.  That my friend is the only thing you got right!
"There are only two kinds of songs; there's the blues, and there's zip-a-dee-doo-dah."
-Townes Van Zandt

Coltrane

This thread never really got going.......
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Angry Ewok

QuoteSorry, Meg. Apparently I'm gay.

I still love you. :-*

Sorry, Meg. I've found someone else.

;D
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

ycartrob

you know, I like to listen to Highly Suspicious and think about gay sex. I like to listen to it as loud as possible and just think about 2 men having wild and crazy sex. Animal love! Highly suspicious, rubbing peanut butter all over their men parts.

(I love this new album!)

vedderhoon

I really assumed someone would think those thoughts after hearing the corniest line ever written "peanut butter pudding surprise"

j_rud

This has nothing to do with your thoughts on the album (everyone is entitled to their opinion), but you sure do have a preoccupation with the whole "gay" thing. There are so many better (and more mature) ways to express dislike, and your choice of words makes me wonder...Im Highly Suspicious of You...
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

rats

to vedderhoon.......i'm not gonna rip you apart because i like your name. pj is my all time favorite band and blind melon is up there with my favs as well, so your cool in my book, but don't come here calling this album gay and telling everyone how you're homophobic on here on the release date of the new album. this is an mmj message board and a lot of these fans are prob. really excited about hearing it and will no doubt take offense to your comments. so don't act surprised. that said, i understand your thoughts on the album but i think you were a little harsh. i got the album about 2 months ago on the leak and at first i was in love with it just because i was hearing new mmj, and after about a week, i decided it was very average, maybe a little corny, and by far my least favorite mmj album. i kept listening however, and although its still my least favorite at the moment it has grown on me. it's actually a really good album if you take it for what it is. it's supposed to be a fun summertime rock record. give it time, and if you don't like it and you want to state your opinion thats fine, but don't come here calling the band gay.........but again, nice screen name.

by the way i did buy the album today even though i already had it and in case anyone was wondering, the production is a lot better if you buy it than from the leak.

j_rud

QuoteI really assumed someone would think those thoughts after hearing the corniest line ever written "peanut butter pudding surprise"
Its a goofy, feel good jam. Not every song has to be about an omnipotent being or the state of the nation. And if you havent noticed, Carl tears it the fuck up on that track. Ive taken quite a shine to that lyric, BTW. Its quite the non sequitur.

j_rud

BTW, Im kinda glad you dont like it, if only for my own selfish reasons. Im torn, because I would love the band to be successful. They definitely put the work in and they definitely deserve it. At the same time, Im sooooo worried about them breaking big and attracting the music equivalent of "fair weather fans". Ive followed this band since 2001, and if I start seeing MMJ shirts at Hot Topic, Im going to have to start acting like Jack Black in High Fidelity. Petty? Stupid? Yeah, probably, but we all have our faults.

imposter

I am a fan of MMJ, but this album blows so far.  I am listening to it for the first time, as I waited for it to actually come out, and am on track 10 - Aluminum Park.  I don't know if I would listen to any of the first 6 or 7 songs again...ever.  Waste of money and time I'll never get back.  Lots of hype behind this album, very let down.

j_rud

QuoteI am a fan of MMJ, but this album blows so far.  I am listening to it for the first time, as I waited for it to actually come out, and am on track 10 - Aluminum Park.  I don't know if I would listen to any of the first 6 or 7 songs again...ever.  Waste of money and time I'll never get back.  Lots of hype behind this album, very let down.
Looks like this album is destined to divide fans. Pretty much figured that the first time I heard it. Ohh well, I love it.

ycartrob

Looks like this album is destined to divide fans. Pretty much figured that the first time I heard it. Ohh well, I love it.

I disagree. If you know the Jacket, I mean really know them and love their music, I don't understand how you don't "get" this album. It is simply amazing. It's the exact album that was next. It shows everywhere they have been and everywhere they want to go. People want bands to remain true to their sound, and that's cool, but it's all there, and so much more. But man, if you don't get it, I don't know...

Amazing.  :)

imposter

I'll have some of what "Evil Tracy Urges" is smoking!

j_rud

ycartrob

QuoteI'll have some of what "Evil Tracy Urges" is smoking!

imposter, there is absolutely nothing I can say that will change your mind, and there is absolutely nothing you can say that will change my mind.

I am totally diggin' Evil Urges, sorry you don't get it. I ain't mad at you, but I am soaring with approval!   :)

Grudge

QuoteDude, Pearl Jam hasn't been important since grunge ended and Shannon Hoon has been dead since the 90's.  Additionally, i never bashed the guy. I guided him.  
His opinion is also one of his 1st 2 posts and because of this, he doesn't hold alot of validity.
I could care less about the gay bashing.  I've got pretty thick skin.
He should listen to me.  I have a knack for pissing people off.

What was the last good Pearl Jam album?  Animal?  Vitology?

I know this is a bash MMJ thread, but I couldn't help notice the  lack of musical knowledge by the guy who dissed Pearl Jam.
First of all, they don't have an album named Animal. They have a song named Animal on the album Vs. Obviously you haven't listened to them since the Jeremy video.

Second of all, using the term grunge - are you serious??? That was a term the clueless media used to describe/label the Seattle sound. You sound like a bleach blond bimbo reporter interviewing fans outside a concert,  

"We're here reporting from the !@#$!@#$ arena where grunge rockers Pearl Jam are playing for Generation Xer's wearing flannel...."

All the Seattle bands had their own distinct sounds.  

Third, Just because they're not making videos for MTV or radio friendly songs to compete with my chemical romance and  their 13 year fans does not make them unimportant.  They still play in major arenas that hold 15,000 - 30,000 fans around the world and are one the, if not the most respected band in rock today.

Try listening to all their music, not just the mtv hits from 1992, and you'll understand what a great and important band they still are today!!!

orbison

If you know the Jacket, I mean really know them and love their music, I don't understand how you don't "get" this album.

Do you see how this statement is flawed? It's like saying "if you are a true fan, you will like it." I dig mmj's experimental side, I see how they have evolved with every album, but a couple of songs on evil urges are flat out bad. It has nothing to do with really "knowing them."  

mymonkeyfriend

i am in no way comparing MMJ's sound to led zep when i say this. i went through a 4 year zep binge in college, and read all these archived reviews of each of thier albums. they polarized on every one, just like this. now they are classics. people hated in through the out door when it came out. point is, i think EU will grow on people, mainly when they start touring. i have heard half of it live, and it was unreal. some of these songs just flat out dont need to be in a overproduced studio. i felt this way with Z, i did not like half of it when i first bought it b/c it sounded nothing like at dawn or ISM. but after seeing Z live, i totally changed my stance, now i love it. give this a shot live. highly suspicious and sec walkin sound overproduced on the CD, different story live. pats drums sound a little muffled on EU, but he sounds like bonham live.  embrace the journey and see what you think in a few months.

knotstilloose

i think the original post summed up everything this album is speaking against, with that said i'm not surprised he doesn't like it.  I think it's brilliant.  I don't love every song, but I love a lot of them.  Thank you too! is amazing, so is librarian...
[url="//whereisbrice.com"]whereisbrice.com[/url]

getinthevan

knotstillloose, thanks for an intelligent first post.  Welcome to the board!
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place