Evil Urges a curve ball?

Started by billybuckner, Jun 12, 2008, 01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elizanne33

I don't understand why people who aren't pleased with the album assume that others who say they love it or just really like it are somehow holding back their "true" feelings.

I saw more than one post where someone was saying that older fans would like the album just because MMJ made it. Now I can see that fans of any band will be biased towards wanting to love whatever their favorite band puts out, but it doesn't exactly work that way. Either you like it or you don't. There is no right or wrong way to feel about this album.

I do have to say that Goofball lyrics make me smile and therefore make my day brighter! God bless the goofball who writes the goofball lyrics.

MarkW

QuoteJim James is a mediocre singer at best without the reverb.

Don't even know where to start with this.  So I won't.  :-X
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mymonkeyfriend

jim's voice is freaky awesome, and reverb takes it to another level. Jim james is a saint, just like dorothy mantooth.

I cant stand this tie, i feel like a banker.

ycartrob

amen

and I hardly ever wear one. But did you ever really think about a tie? Just the symbolism of putting something tightly around your neck to conform to some social norm? man, I think I am starting to freak out...

Bigsky

Quoteget rid of evil urges, highly suspicious, and touch me pt.2.      
and that is a as classic of an mmj album as i gets

How do you difine a classic MMJ album? If you compare TTF to AD to ISM to Z they're all pretty different.

cmccubbin25

amen

and I hardly ever wear one. But did you ever really think about a tie? Just the symbolism of putting something tightly around your neck to conform to some social norm? man, I think I am starting to freak out...

anybody know the origin of the necktie?

off to wikipedia!
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

cobracobracobra

hey everybody. my name is tom and this is my first post. i've actually been visiting the forum for years now, but am more just a silent observer than a participator.

at any rate, i've just been confused by comments about how some individuals think that EU is "experimental", and that THAT is the reason that some fans are turned off by it.

the reason that i personally can't get into the album is because these are some of the most straightlaced songs (besides "evil urges" and "highly suspicious") that mmj has come up with. "cobra" was experimental, as is some of "z" (considering it was the follow up to ISM). the bulk of EU just sounds like FM radio numbness to me. the first three albums had a mix of simple songs and drawn out jams, but there was still an urgency and beauty even in the simplicity. i don't hear that on EU.

now don't get me wrong, i like some of it. but it's hard for me to find a song i "just like" on the first 4 albums..

anyways, this is not a negative post, believe me.  i need more coffee. well, nice meeting u all.

-tom

getinthevan

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

ycartrob

Quotehey everybody. my name is tom and this is my first post. i've actually been visiting the forum for years now, but am more just a silent observer than a participator.

at any rate, i've just been confused by comments about how some individuals think that EU is "experimental", and that THAT is the reason that some fans are turned off by it.

the reason that i personally can't get into the album is because these are some of the most straightlaced songs (besides "evil urges" and "highly suspicious") that mmj has come up with. "cobra" was experimental, as is some of "z" (considering it was the follow up to ISM). the bulk of EU just sounds like FM radio numbness to me. the first three albums had a mix of simple songs and drawn out jams, but there was still an urgency and beauty even in the simplicity. i don't hear that on EU.

now don't get me wrong, i like some of it. but it's hard for me to find a song i "just like" on the first 4 albums..

anyways, this is not a negative post, believe me.  i need more coffee. well, nice meeting u all.

-tom

welcome, we all need more coffee   ;)

rob

Starting with Z and continuing on EU, I think Jim has had a vision of the band becoming big/more mainstream......nothing wrong with that, except that the music changes somewhat. Despite it's slickness, I still think EU is better than 90% of everything else out there.  I'd like to see them release something more serious/mature/lonesome next time, but that's just personal preference. They're still young.....there's a lot more good music to come.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

Coffee

The OP said it best. I hope his prediction comes to fruition.