I figured it out...

Started by Coffee, Jun 16, 2008, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee

I have been a long time MMJ fan and people are right when they say that MMJ puts on one of the best concerts that you will ever see! Check out this link if you have not seen them live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Q9iAcPjzc

Simply put, I love this band.

However...
After listening to the new album I was at a loss for words for some time. I reasoned that maybe I didn't like it because I had to get used to it. So I listened agai and again. Yes it did grow on me a bit, some of the guitar riffs are awesome.
However...
I still don't like the new album that much. I kept asking myself why? Then I stopped someone who was walking by me at my computer. I asked them to listen to a few songs. I played some stuff from previous albums and they said wow, this band rocks out! Then I played Highly suspicious, they said wow, still rocking but kinda off. Then I played a few more songs from the new album for more comparison and asked what they thought. this person summed it up for me, in a crude way I warn you, but nonetheless I think they were right on.
Before I tell you what they said let me tell you this. This has been one of my favorite bands so I want to love the new album! I'm looking for every reason to even like it. This band has talent and I got to watch them from parties in Louisville to playing on tv. For gods sake my child was conceived while listening to the At Dawn album! The music they have produced is genre defining imo.
However....
The person listening to the comparisons of the older stuff and the new album had this to say in response to the track Thank You Too, 'It's got no balls'! I retorted, well...Highly Suspicious does! They said 'yes, it does, but its like they got kicked in the balls on that one...On the others no balls at all, on that one, kicked in the balls.'
I wanted to be mad, this is my band after all. But I must admit, they had a point.
So that's it, my problem with the new album is that it lacks balls, notnthe type of trying new things, in that respect this is one of the ballsiest albums in some time. But in the actual riffs and the actual songs, it does not represent what this band does on stage. They smashed their guitars on The Palace floor for god's sake! (nobody does that) You can find it in parts, like in 'I'm Amazed', the live version of course, like the one they played on SNL. It gets your adrenaline pumping, but overall....where did that feeling go?

petemoss

Quote.where did that feeling go?

It's still there, man. I think you are the one that 'has lost that lovin' feelin'.
Evil urges rocks me like a hurricane.
I'm sorry to hear you are dead inside.

BH

If by "no balls" you mean "spectacular violins" then yes, I agree with you about Thank You Too.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

bold99

the point is this album is not supposed to be like the other albums..thats what makes it so great.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Coffee

I'll keep listening to it for awhile togive it a fair chance. I'm curious, are you guys and gals big fans of the older albums?

Easy Morning Rebel

Quotethe point is this album is not supposed to be like the other albums..thats what makes it so great.
Agreed.
I love, love, LOVE Evil Urges so much!
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

cmccubbin25

QuoteI'll keep listening to it for awhile togive it a fair chance. I'm curious, are you guys and gals big fans of the older albums?

yes...of course we are.

listen to the album again but this time think about the fact that Jim wrote a lot of these songs while he was "falling in love."  that will make songs like "Thank You Too" and "Look At You" make a little more sense...'cause when you are in love its not about having "balls" and machismo.  its about being completely overwhelmed by another human being and wanting to spend every waking moment with them or talking to them.  in this context you may understand why some of the songs lack "balls."

if you look at some of Jim's earlier "love" songs such as "Hopefully" it seems as if he is writing about the fantasy of love, which is completely different than being in love.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

mymonkeyfriend

the older albums are all epic. you can see the evolution in EU. There is alot of new sounds, but if you listen close, alot of familiar ones hidden underneath. i played it for my brother, he has never heard them before. he was amazed at jim's versatility and how every EU song sounded different.

go see them live. being live gives all these song elephant balls, i promise.

TheBri-Man

I think this album has way more balls than any of their other ones.  They could have just made another It Still Moves or At Dawn...but that's not who this band is anymore.  No one is making music as innovative as the Jacket right now.  They are pushing themselves to be better and explore their sound...and they are doing it way better than anyone else.  To say this album lacks balls is ridiculous.  You want Balls...write a  funk anthem song like Highly Suspicious and then write a sweet song like Thank You Too and then write a soulful song like  Sec Walkin...mix in some doo-wop on Two Halves and the spooky/folk of Librarian and then put them on the same album and not give a damn what others think because that is who you are and that is the music you want to share.  That my friend is balls...and no one has bigger balls than the Jacket.

Angry Ewok

All of the critics of Evil Urges are going to feel like fucking idiots when they see these songs live.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

TEO

I always thought that testicles were for reproduction not composition.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ycartrob

r u sure it's not baawls?

bold99

Technically you could listen to an Isaac Hayes album and say it doesn't have "balls" also....but that does not make it any less awesome...not all music has to be straight up Headbanging Rock....this album proves that and a very very cool way.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

j_rud

I genuinely feel bad for those who say they arent feeling the new album, because I love it.  At the same time, Im not one of those who will incessantly bash those who dont care for it. There are a few that Im less than crazy about, but the ones I love more than make up for it. All I know is that come Friday between Highly Suspicious and TMIGTS 2 I'll be dancing while my face is melting.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

rob

MMJ are not Led Zeppelin.....or AC/DC. They are more sensitive that that. The record doesn't have to rock as hard as the live shows. Those are two different presentations. Personally, I wish they rocked LESS live. They are capable of so much more than just 'rockin'. Even Jim has recently said he's grown tired of normal rock and roll sounds. He's definitely on a soul kick now, but still rockin' out in concert because it's expected. I think if he had his way, without expectations, the current live shows would be much different than they are.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

j_rud

QuoteMMJ are not Led Zeppelin.....or AC/DC. They are more sensitive that that. The record doesn't have to rock as hard as the live shows. Those are two different presentations. Personally, I wish they rocked LESS live. They are capable of so much more than just 'rockin'. Even Jim has recently said he's grown tired of normal rock and roll sounds. He's definitely on a soul kick now, but still rockin' out in concert because it's expected. I think if he had his way, without expectations, the current live shows would be much different than they are.
Led Zeppelin shouldnt be lumped together with AC/DC. Sure they had their balls out rock songs, but you cant neglect to include their softer stuff, and there's quite a bit of it. White Summer/Black Mountain Side, All My Love, Hey Hey What Can I Do?, In the Light, basically anything from "III", etc. A comparison with AC/DC really doesnt do justice to their versatility and the breadth of their catalog.

ycartrob

Led Zeppelin shouldnt be lumped together with AC/DC. Sure they had their balls out rock songs, but you cant neglect to include their softer stuff, and there's quite a bit of it. White Summer/Black Mountain Side, All My Love, Hey Hey What Can I Do?,  

Going to California, Tangerine, That's the Way, Rain Song, Thank You (the first song I ever made out to (with another person(female))).

Evening Rebel

Hello all! I am  long time lurker, who has hung around here just enjoying reading the forum. After reading all of the posts concerning the boys and the new record, I had to weigh in for what its worth... I find it amusing how many folks claim to be long time or closet MMJ fans, yet they are sooo surprised or put off by the direction of the new record. Jim's admiration for soul/r&b music has been obvious for a while now, i.e. the WONDERFUL live covers he has done in the past of Prince, Erykah Badu, and the legendary Mr. Curtis Mayfield. To incorporate those influences into his art and make them his own, is a feat in itself. The new record complete with its falsettos and tongue in cheeks lyrics, is pure joy, the evolution of the Jacket is a wonder to behold. To all the harsh critics of EU I'll share with you the words of the immortal George Clinton... "Free your mind and your ass will follow."

j_rud

QuoteHello all! I am  long time lurker, who has hung around here just enjoying reading the forum. After reading all of the posts concerning the boys and the new record, I had to weigh in for what its worth... I find it amusing how many folks claim to be long time or closet MMJ fans, yet they are sooo surprised or put off by the direction of the new record. Jim's admiration for soul/r&b music has been obvious for a while now, i.e. the WONDERFUL live covers he has done in the past of Prince, Erykah Badu, and the legendary Mr. Curtis Mayfield. To incorporate those influences into his art and make them his own, is a feat in itself. The new record complete with its falsettos and tongue in cheeks lyrics, is pure joy, the evolution of the Jacket is a wonder to behold. To all the harsh critics of EU I'll share with you the words of the immortal George Clinton... "Free your mind and your ass will follow."
Its also in some of the songs he has written as well. Take a look at the lyrics to "At Dawn"; there are similar themes addressed in Evil Urges, particularly "beat this thought into your head, singin over and over again: "all your life is obscene!" "

j_rud

QuoteHello all! I am  long time lurker, who has hung around here just enjoying reading the forum. After reading all of the posts concerning the boys and the new record, I had to weigh in for what its worth... I find it amusing how many folks claim to be long time or closet MMJ fans, yet they are sooo surprised or put off by the direction of the new record. Jim's admiration for soul/r&b music has been obvious for a while now, i.e. the WONDERFUL live covers he has done in the past of Prince, Erykah Badu, and the legendary Mr. Curtis Mayfield. To incorporate those influences into his art and make them his own, is a feat in itself. The new record complete with its falsettos and tongue in cheeks lyrics, is pure joy, the evolution of the Jacket is a wonder to behold. To all the harsh critics of EU I'll share with you the words of the immortal George Clinton... "Free your mind and your ass will follow."
Its also in some of the earlier songs he has written as well. Take a look at the lyrics to "At Dawn"; there are similar themes addressed in Evil Urges, particularly "beat this thought into your head, singin over and over again: "all your life is obscene!"