So, who else is sick of the Prince comparisons?

Started by j_rud, Jun 19, 2008, 08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadManFromCA

Comparisons? I don't think so.  But Prince is clearly an influence and if you're denying that you should listen to the CD again.

bluntmaster

prince is an influence but didn't invent falsetto

j_rud

QuoteComparisons? I don't think so.  But Prince is clearly an influence and if you're denying that you should listen to the CD again.
Did I ever deny it? Its an influence but I think more is being made out of it than should be. A few songs, one most notably, seem to be influenced by Prince. Does that mean every single review should lean on that comparison? Its lazy journalism.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

laylow82

You sound a little like Prince on the title track and "Highly Suspicious."

JJ: I was just having fun with it. It's people's natural instinct to hear that and think Prince, but I don't really get that. We wanted to make this record more rhythmic-oriented, and tighter and more focused, and make it more about the bass and drums.

The DARK

I hear a lot more Daft Punk in this song than I hear Prince.

All Prince's songs sound smoother. Not a criticism of Highly Suspicious, but the only point of comparison I see is the vocals.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ItStillJaimoe

QuoteI hear a lot more Daft Punk in this song than I hear Prince.

The first time I heard that song was in concert back in March and I thought it sounded like kraut rock. After a number of listens, I still think the song has kraut rock elements and since I've disliked that particular genre for 30 years, I can't embrace "Highly Suspicious". It ain't boring though.

capt. scotty

QuoteI hear a lot more Daft Punk in this song than I hear Prince.

All Prince's songs sound smoother. Not a criticism of Highly Suspicious, but the only point of comparison I see is the vocals.

I hear a lot more Talking Heads than either Prince or Daft Punk

..I do kinda see what youre saying bout the 'kraut' rock thing Jaimoe, but it still rocks
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons