"Evils Urges"No.9 on Billboard

Started by antoniostrohs, Jun 23, 2008, 12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antoniostrohs

No. 9, No. 9 ...
The new Billboard 200 album chart has a familiar name in its Top 10: My Morning Jacket. The Louisville band's "Evil Urges" debuted at No. 9, which is pretty, pretty good.

Just to keep things real, however, I have to point out that hitting the top 10 of the Billboard charts isn't what it used to be. Because of downloads and pirating, a band need only sell 40,000 or 50,000 copies to chart as opposed to the 200,000 required a decade ago.

So don't go asking the fellas to invest in your Canoe the Mighty Ohio business. They haven't hit Lil' Wayne territory -- yet.
posted by Jeffrey Lee Puckett  Courier Journal

The DARK

It's a very good debut, seeing as the new Spoon debuted at 10. I expect with all the press that this number is going to increase even more.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Mr. T.

That's great news!

Does anybody know where Z landed in these charts?
We are young despite the years,
we are concern,
we are hope despite the times

Tony Two Tone

QuoteThey haven't hit Lil' Wayne territory -- yet.

That's a good thing.  I don't want them to become complete garbage.

BH

I'm not exactly sure I'm reading the data correctly so don't take this as fact, but I am pretty sure this is the Billboard200 history......

Album
             Peak Position        Weeks on Chart
ISM                      121                           3
Z                           67                           6
Okonokos             131                           1
Evil Urges                9                            ?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

getinthevan

Congrats!  Thats a nice little jump from previous chart positions.  Anyone know the actual number of sales?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

buymycar

QuoteCongrats!  Thats a nice little jump from previous chart positions.  Anyone know the actual number of sales?

From billboard.com:

My Morning Jacket's "Evil Urges" sold 49,000 copies to give the band its first top 10 album, debuting at No. 9. MMJ's previous chart high-water mark came with 2005's "Z," which topped out at No. 67.

Anu

getinthevan

The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place