What exactly is Sec Walkin?

Started by Love_Dog, Jun 23, 2008, 06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Dogg

Sorry, guys if I've missed something.  It's one of my favorite songs (depending on my mood, it may be my favorite at any given time), but I don't know what "Sec" means.  Please clue me in.   :-[
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

laylow82

sec= seconds

sec is also an adjective meaning moderatly dry.

i dont know if he used sec as a noun or adjective.  i gusse its up to the listener

I also agree that sec walkin is a great song.  A very beautiful contry tinged tune with great lyrics

DavidCrosby

....I read in a recent issue of Rolling Stone where Jim said "Sec Walkin'" was something that was written on a pizza box that he got when he was in college and he had been waiting since then to use it for something and that song happen to be it.....
listen to vinyl

ycartrob

buymycar

Here's the exact quote from Entertainment Weekly:

The title of the track "Sec Walkin" was inspired by the name of an imaginary country star that MMJ singer Jim James invented with a roommate while at college.  "We got a pizza one night; there was a sticker on it that said 'Sec Walkin,'" he recalls.  "We laughed about how it sounded like a country singer's name, like Clint Black or Trace Adkins.  So, I've been looking for a way to get that out there."  --Clark Collis

Angry Ewok

I love Sec Walkin' - one of my favorite songs on the album.

I think it's a tribute to SEC Football!

...not really, but damn, is it August, yet?

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

MMJ_fanatic

This song always conjures up Gram Parsons for me--I love the feel
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Don Dante

QuoteI love Sec Walkin' - one of my favorite songs on the album.

I think it's a tribute to SEC Football!

...not really, but damn, is it August, yet?

Yes!  I like where your head's at.

But seriously, I do love this song.  Before I was thinking it had to do with time and it's constant incremental movement, how everything is measured.  Left leg, right leg, repeat...red light, green light, repeat.  The second video of Henson on here that Jim posted put me on that track:  http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/vel14/2008/06/hey-mr-youtube-dj-jim-james-of-my.html  

Then there's the fact that he sings like Kermit in this one, as previously mentioned.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

shockadow

Sec- strong enough for a man, made for a woman!!
O, How time flies, with crystal clear eyes.  But it's cold, it's cold, when you're ending with diamond eyes.

laylow82

The last verse is great

"demon eyes..demon eyes are watching
demon eyes..demon eyes are watching everywhere
brother..brother dont you care
brother..brother dont you care"

i also love the marvin gaye style of singing when he sings brother dont you care