Main Menu

Steam Engine

Started by Zzzzzzzz, Jun 27, 2008, 10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zzzzzzzz

I'm sure this has been discussed to the point of nausea, but this song simply takes me places I haven't been to for quite some time.  I never use words like Magical or anything like that to describe music, but this song just does it for me in so many ways.  I'm only about 9 months into my passion for this band, so many things are still "new" to me.

Jon T.

It has been mentioned once or twice, but I don't think anyone will have a problem with another Steam Engine thread.

You a tool fan, Zx8?

Zzzzzzzz

I am a Tool fan.  I get a little disappointed with the lack of mix during their tours, but they are in a league of their own in heavy rock.  But no one does it for me like MMJ does right now.  I was a huge Radiohead fan for years, but for whatever reason, the more I listen to MMJ, the more Radiohead doesn't do it for me much anymore.

And the PHISH was a LARGE part of my life for many years.

Jon T.

A league of their own for sure.  I know what you mean about the lack of mix though, especially their last tour.  They put such an emphasis on their light show they could really only interchange a song or two.  

I used to be a big fan and I guess I still am.  But like you, nothing does if for me like MMJ.  It's been 3 or 4 years now and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Zzzzzzzz

There are few better feelings than "getting" a band.  I've been on a complete ride since I "got" MMJ.  It comes off as a little strange to my wife and family (I'm 36).  But I'm trying my damnedest to get my wife "there."  She's going to NYE for me, but I hope it's what she needs to get it.

Jon T.

It took some time for my wife to come around.  She's more of top 40 kinda gal.  But I catch her singing along all the time.  I think she wants me to see her doing it.  Anyway, she went with me to see them in ATL a couple years ago and had a blast.  She was even 5-6 mos pregnant at the time.  We're going to Louisville for the show and she is almost as excited about it as I am.  

ycartrob

Zzzzzzz have you seen them live yet?

I got hooked when I was about your age (38). BAM! It reminded me how I felt when I got the rock fever when I was a teenager, you know the Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Allman Bros, etc... bang? (well, al least for me). Then I saw them live, and it was on.

welcome

and my wife was on board from day 1, has made signs for the band that made it on stage (and even on tour). Her "claim to fame" was calling the Prince cover (I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man) before anyone knew what they were playing at the 40 Watt show in 2005. rock

Zzzzzzzz

Saw them live for the first time a Roo.  What a night to get my feet wet, eh?  As I said, it's only been 10 or so months I really got hooked and they didn't tour much during that time.  I had numerous live shows on disc, but Roo was my first experience.  I have Philly tickets and NYE tickets.  

I was pretty OCD during my Phish years with that band.  I feel many of those same temptations with MMJ.  So much great material and incredible live. What more could I ask for!

My 4 year old son LOVES them.  And my two year old daughter grabs the acoustic and yells "My Morning Jacket."  Such a pleasure to witness with my kids.

Zzzzzzzz

And to add...another reason it's seems so special to me is that the guys in the band seem like real down to earth, respectful dudes.  I seem to always nod my head in agreement when Jim speaks.

ycartrob

QuoteAnd to add...another reason it's seems so special to me is that the guys in the band seem like real down to earth, respectful dudes.  I seem to always nod my head in agreement when Jim speaks.

we hung out with them to the weee hours of the morning after a show in Nashville at a tiny bar and they're all down to earth folks. Patrick stood there in a circle with us for about 30 minutes (there were like 7 of us) and he was just "one of the guys". And I don't do well with the whole "seeing your rock idol" stuff, I tend to say nothing (I ran into Bob Mould before his show in Atlanta and I nearly took out a tooth running into a pole to avoid him).

But you're right, they're stand up guys, IMO.  That's why I get all defensive and whiney baby when people come here to criticize their music. But, I'm working on that   ;)

Zzzzzzzz

Yeah.  I just try to plant the seed with my friends and family and let them decide for themselves.  I have buddies that really respect my opinion regarding music and I've loaded them up with material.  Maybe it hits, maybe it doesn't.  I just feel lucky I'm this excited about current music again.

DavidCrosby

....one of my MMJ buddies biggest musical fuck up was missing them play Steam Engine when they opened up at this Pearl Jam show in 2006....and he didn't get to go to RCMH because he was on vacation with his girlfriend and he missed it there.....hopefully they play it NYE.....
listen to vinyl