The Way That He Sings.....

Started by Tony30052, Jun 27, 2008, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Two Tone

Wow, you know I love this song but never really understood it completely until I read the lyrics.

Just goes to show you what kinda guy Jim James is.

Kurt Cobain made fun of people that didn't know his lyrics with "In Bloom".

Jim says
"Why does my mind blow to bits every time they play that song?
It's just the way that he sings,
Not the words that he says, or the band.
I'm in love with this soul, it's a meaning that I understand."

So he just understands....even if you don't know all the words or understand it it's a universally understood beautiful thing when music can capture your soul.

Love Dogg

Yes, it is an autobiography of sorts.  Often times, this is what it is like to be a My Morning Jacket fan.  :)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteYes, it is an autobiography of sorts.  Often times, this is what it is like to be a My Morning Jacket fan.  :)

Definitely. I don't really get hung up on MMJ lyrics, or their sound, just being at a show is an experience like no other. I'm never disappointed that their playing a certain song, its about being in the room.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

DavidCrosby

....I always loved that song because of what he says....when they played it at Radio City I nearly freaked out....Jim rules.....
listen to vinyl

slimkim

i think that it is what is going to be on my epitaph...

i am in love with this soul, it's a meaning that i understand...

says it all...
there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

Mr._Nussbaum

The name of my MMJ playlist on my ipod is "It's the way that he sings, and the words that he says, and the band".  A little long winded but it sums it up.

weeniebeenie

It's probably my favourite MMJ song. I love the music so much and when I read the lyrics, it sealed the deal. :)

How loud can silence get?

Erik26

The lyrics are great. I find that Jim's lyrics are pretty amazing through a lot of tunes. Can't wait to hear them play this at Pemberton. My first MMJ show, to bad it is a festival not an evening with.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Don Dante

These are some great lyrics.  I still think he is talking about someone else there, not himself and his band.  Perhaps Dylan and The Band (quite literally), but who knows.

My favorite lines are...
"Why's it so soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it wont happen to us?"
The interplay between soft and loud is brilliant.
Keep on dreamin' boy,
cuz when you stop dreamin'
it's time to die.

Honest Man

The fact that my hearts beating, is all the proof you need.