TTF, AD & EU on Vinyl June 10th

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, May 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Ewok

QuoteGot my TF today, was extremely excited, started listening to it, and my girlfriend asked why it was moving up and down as it played, I took a look at it and realized it was warped...not very happy. It doesn't bother me that its a little warped, it doesn't really effect the sound, but I'm not entirely thrilled about paying $29 for a warped record.  I am going to check out all the discs from Darla, and contact them.  Brad I'll let you know what they say about it, I know yours was the same.

God bless you, man... sounds like our shipments were delivery truck brothers or something. The needle on mine is really bouncing on the outside edges, but just like you said, the sound isn't unlistenable (but it should be, with all of the bouncing it does).
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

tomEisenbraun

Gotta wonder if these screw-up vinyls will be some sort of odd rare high dollar piece someday, eh?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Crispy

I guess It doesn't take a lot of heat to start the warping - sitting in an airplane hold on a hot tarmac, the back of a truck that's sitting in a parking lot, etc. Makes me wonder what logistics were like for records shipments in the summertime back when vinyl was all there was.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Hawkeye

Got my copies of TTF and At Dawn yesterday...TTF was warped.  Not horribly, but it's definitely warped.  On the positive side, At Dawn looked flawless, straight as an arrow!  Do you think I should even play TTF or just return it?  I wasn't sure if it's even possible to return a record after playing it?  Plus it's a hassle.  The colored vinyl looks great though.  I wonder if the type of vinyl used (colored vs. black) makes any difference with how easily it warps.  I would think that it might.  Let me know what you find out from Darla, I'll probably follow suit with whatever you guys do.  
We could.

Coltrane

QuoteThe music store here in San Diego is back ordered due to warped vinyl.
I am on the list, she said about 3 weeks....  I am waiting...

which store???? Lou's in Encinitas, or elsewhere???
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

blueskyink

Good News! for all of you who didn't receive their Evil Urges vinyl and were upset by the July 22 date, acousticsounds.com has posted a new release date for July 1st, fuck yeah!

Kory

I bought a copy of EU from EarXtacy on the release date and it's pristene.
I also bought a Tennessee Fire from EarXtacy and it appears to be good as well. On top of that I had ordered two TTF's and two AD's from Darla and only opened one AD and I didn't notice any warping.
Could you guys see the warping before opening it?
I wonder if UPS would blame something like that on picking it up from your door soon enough... just be pessamistic and trying to think of ways they could screw you on the deal. From what I have heard about Darla though, they will make it right.
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

blueskyink

Actually, UPS wouldn't leave it at my door, they handed it to my girlfriend.  I didn't notice any warping before I opened, but I also wasn't looking for it.  I still have to check and see if the second disc is warped as well, I only inspected the first.

Hawkeye

QuoteI bought a copy of EU from EarXtacy on the release date and it's pristene.
I also bought a Tennessee Fire from EarXtacy and it appears to be good as well. On top of that I had ordered two TTF's and two AD's from Darla and only opened one AD and I didn't notice any warping.
Could you guys see the warping before opening it?
I wonder if UPS would blame something like that on picking it up from your door soon enough... just be pessamistic and trying to think of ways they could screw you on the deal. From what I have heard about Darla though, they will make it right.

There would be no way for UPS to screw me on this one.  I picked it up directly from their warehouse because they couldn't find my house, even though they delivered something else to me 2 days prior with no problems...sometimes I wonder...I did call Darla as well...talked with a nice gentleman named Chris.  I told him I had a warped TTF and he told me to try playing it, since I told him it wasn't warped THAT badly.  He seemed very cool though, very willing to "work things out."  He hadn't heard of any warping problems, which surprised me a little from all the talk here of warping.  He also told me that Darla is only 3 people!  And that the band sent them a tape, one of the guys liked it and had the other guys listen, and they signed them right away.  Anyway, I'm still torn over whether to send it back or not.  Warped vinyl kinda scares me.  It probably won't play right or wear very well.
We could.

blueskyink

warped records can be bad for your needle too.

Hawkeye

Darla called me back.  They were unaware of the warpage problem with the TTF, but they offered to send me another one at no charge.  I told them to feel free and open it up to make sure it's not warped, that I wouldn't mind getting one that's been opened.  They said that they think the pressing was ok, but that they haven't opened any up to look at them (obviously, since they're for sale).  They said that there had been a recent heat wave there that may have caused the warpage.  They let me keep the copy that I have.  So if anyone is not happy with the LP's they receive from Darla, give them a call and they'll send you a replacement!  Good news!
We could.

Croweyes1121

Badman has a few copies of Okonokos back in on vinyl at $39.99 a pop if anyone here still needs one!  I just ordered it with no problems.  Considering how insanely high these have been priced lately over on eBay, that's a really terrific deal!

milesbeyond

QuoteIs it warped?

nope, played it last week and it sounds amazing! Earlier in this post I mentioned that the sleeves were plastic lined and someone else said their's were just paper sleeves... I wonder if the ones with paper were the batch that got damaged? I think Amazon just doesn't know how to store vinyl. They probably keep it in a 120 degree warehouse.  :o

I just checked my EU vinyl from Amazon - it doesnt have plastic sleeves, its more like a glossy paper sleeve inside and out. Do you mean like a cello liner? I am thinking the paper batch is no good.

My disc 1 is warped way more than 2, and as i mentioned before the inner jacket is all bubbled and bent up near the fold.
ARRrghhh.....amazon sucks. and i have tried ordering from Tower before, but everytime, everything is backordered. In fact, I have an order from 02/08, they never sent me updates or anything, I emailed them about it, and they just cancelled my order. Nice of them to take my money then not send me anything - and still no refund from them, i'm going to call them tomorrow to see what the hell is up - any suggestions anyone?

I too got the one with only glossy paper sleeves. I bought mine from a local store though. I did not have any warpage problems however (probably due to a record store's storage unit opposed to Amazon's) but my sleeves are a tad bit long and stick out of the cover. I haven't heard anyone else mention that though. But thankfully no warpage problems.

At Dawn and Okonokos were perfect as well. I bought At Dawn at a local shop, and Okonokos from Badman.