EVil urges pt 2??? is this good intentions???

Started by dkessler175, Jul 03, 2008, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkessler175

Ok so i know im kind of new to the forum but ive been on an endless search to complete my mmj discography when i stumbled upon this on amazon...i dont know how long it has been there but its my first time seeing it...http://www.amazon.com/New-Release-My-Morning-Jacket/dp/B00192GU5C/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215143341&sr=1-40

Also, i rok at an independent record store and we get a magazine titled "Performing Songwriter" and last month they had an interview with Jim James about evil urges... and in the tracklisting on teh far left side i found it interesting that they had the album listed as two parts the first part title evil urges containing tracks 1-13 and part two simply titled good intentions with no tracks listed...hmm.  maybe this will be like when system of a down released the whole mesmerized/hypnotized album....just thought i would share

-dan

also mmj broke into the top 100 influential bands in the past ten years in a report done by "Performing Songwriter"

The DARK

That's very strange...though Evil Urges was in itself a work of two parts and a second album wouldn't make sense with the material they have.

If this amounts to anything, it's a new single or ep, which would astound me.  :)
In another time, in another place, in another face

dkessler175

I guess it could just be wishful thinking, but we sell used cds at my store , so people have the option of trading stuff in.  I remember when that system of a down album dropped and it sold like crazy, but then they just got traded in and one of the main reasons was that they felt it was incomplete...which i guess is my feeling with evil urges that could be where that thought is coming from...i just wish it had that unforgettable ballad like the other albums do such as steam engine, dondante, and even rollin back...plus i miss how it was so easy for them to turn a 3 or 4 minute song into a 6 to 7 minute jam...thats what i miss most

The DARK

QuoteI guess it could just be wishful thinking, but we sell used cds at my store , so people have the option of trading stuff in.  I remember when that system of a down album dropped and it sold like crazy, but then they just got traded in and one of the main reasons was that they felt it was incomplete...which i guess is my feeling with evil urges that could be where that thought is coming from...i just wish it had that unforgettable ballad like the other albums do such as steam engine, dondante, and even rollin back...plus i miss how it was so easy for them to turn a 3 or 4 minute song into a 6 to 7 minute jam...thats what i miss most

Yeah, they really only did that with Touch Me Pt. 2 on this record (which, incidentally, is my favorite song), but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Much as I hate saying it, Evil Urges does seem like a "transition album", but in the best possible way: they can go anywhere from here. They can write tight pop songs and heartbreaking epics, country epics and dance throwdowns. It's not a peak, but more like that scenic overlook: they can go anywhere from here.

Don't forget that all of the songs on the album were happy love songs recorded in a sad place. Expect a very different style on the next album.
In another time, in another place, in another face

BH

Target also shows a "New Release" with no details but it has the exact same stock number.  Hmmmmmm....
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

i want more music by this band.  it's like evil urges opened up my heart and now my heart is waiting to be energized with more.  

mmj write some songs on the road and play them... wouldn't that be different... you know keep mixing things up... like release another album today... just a thought... laterzz

j_rud

If there is another "chapter" to Evil Urges, it would take an incredible amount of restraint by the band and everyone involved in it to not let word of it, let alone the music itself, leak. In this day and age I actually think its nearly impossible.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

evilPaauwe

QuoteTarget also shows a "New Release" with no details but it has the exact same stock number.  Hmmmmmm....

at first, i got a boner.  this fact alone solidified any possible hope.

but then i googled the item code. and many websites have it but claim "item out of stock". maybe this is just a pre-evil urges mess up or something.

or maybe it is a new release of some sort.

tell me im wrong. tell me im right.
cheers.

tomEisenbraun

What if a new release hit the streets and Evil Urges was really only a pre-cursor to what they had up their sleeves? Sounded like Jim wrote an assload of songs and they recorded a ton, right? Maybe they decided to waste all the press and hype on Evil Urges so the intended package didn't suffer a leak? It'd be an ingenious strategy, if I do say so myself.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

evilPaauwe

QuoteWhat if a new release hit the streets and Evil Urges was really only a pre-cursor to what they had up their sleeves? Sounded like Jim wrote an assload of songs and they recorded a ton, right? Maybe they decided to waste all the press and hype on Evil Urges so the intended package didn't suffer a leak? It'd be an ingenious strategy, if I do say so myself.

if Evil Urges was merely a pre-cursor to whatever could possibly be in store....           then we are not ready. the world is not ready.
cheers.

vespachick

QuoteWhat if a new release hit the streets and Evil Urges was really only a pre-cursor to what they had up their sleeves? Sounded like Jim wrote an assload of songs and they recorded a ton, right? Maybe they decided to waste all the press and hype on Evil Urges so the intended package didn't suffer a leak? It'd be an ingenious strategy, if I do say so myself.
I just had to take my panties off.  Sorry, Fran. :-[
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

tomEisenbraun

I just had to take my panties off.  Sorry, Fran. :-[

It was only to pack 'em full of Gold Bond, though, right? Right?!

vespachick

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

tomEisenbraun

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

Quotethe first part title evil urges containing tracks 1-13 and part two simply titled good intentions with no tracks listed...hmm.

Track 14 on Evil Urges is the song Good Intentions.  It's just a scream that people often associate with the end of Touch Me part 2.

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pages/home/110_mmj.cfm

http://www.performingsongwriter.com/pages/home/110_indie100.cfm
In the top 100, they are listed as part of "The Vanguard."
Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

evilPaauwe

cheers.

DaFunkyPrecedent

should we look over this thread more then?
God damn those shaky knees.

BIGVICLBI

I hope I wake up one day and people are going banannas over this. If this doesn't come to fruition, some band should use this strategy as it would be the best release gimmick ever!!

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

Oz

Well, like I said in another topic, I really do think that the confusing variety of 'Evil urges' calls for another disc with the tracks that were left off, to get a more full picture of what they were making. So it'd be great if this was that.
I'm ready when you are