Highly Suspicious Live

Started by masterplanjohn, Jul 16, 2008, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterplanjohn

Out of the entire MMJ catalogue, the only song I can't stand on the studio versions is Highly Suspicious. I absolutely hate it when it randomly comes up on my ipod.. but tonight I saw it performed live for the first time.

Holy shit. I could not have been more wrong. The bassline was absolutely wicked, and the stage theatrics were funny. I just didn't 'get' the song. Anybody else have similar experiences?

mymonkeyfriend

totally know what you are talking about. i saw them in houston, and they played HS for the first time live. it rocked, it was so sweet. Then i heard it on the album, and it was not nearly as good. That song cant make it in a studio, it needs to be live. i think alot of the EU songs are better live, and i think alot of it has to do with drumming. for example, I'm Amazed and Sec Walkin are awesome on the CD. but live, the drums sound so much better, and it makes the song.

DavidCrosby

Quotei think alot of the EU songs are better live, and i think alot of it has to do with drumming. for example, I'm Amazed and Sec Walkin are awesome on the CD. but live, the drums sound so much better, and it makes the song.

....couldn't have said it better....
listen to vinyl

ycartrob

I hate to say I instantly got it the first time I heard it on June 10th, but I did.

Angry Ewok

Yeah, I'm the same way, Tracy... as much as a fanboy as I sound saying this, I was hooked as soon as I heard the opening riff. Love the song.

I agree that the song is a billion times better live - but so is everything else.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

masterplanjohn

Quotei think alot of the EU songs are better live, and i think alot of it has to do with drumming. for example, I'm Amazed and Sec Walkin are awesome on the CD. but live, the drums sound so much better, and it makes the song.

That could be it. I need to give it another real listen on my stereo when I get home. I got the CD while I am here in the UK, and all I have is my crappy ipod headphones.

DavidCrosby

That could be it. I need to give it another real listen on my stereo when I get home. I got the CD while I am here in the UK, and all I have is my crappy ipod headphones.

...ipods do blow, I cantwait to hear it vinyl.....
listen to vinyl

DaFunkyPrecedent

all MMJ is better live.  Listen to Lowdown from At Dawn - then listen to Lowdown from Okonokos.  A world of difference.....
God damn those shaky knees.

weeniebeenie

The first time I heard Highly Suspicious I was a little taken-a-back, but the second time I totally loved it and now I can't stop listening to it.
How loud can silence get?

easy way

Yeah man, besides the obvious monster drumming on EU...I think the back up vocals are a huge asset and one of the more progressive moves that the boys' have made w/ this album. I can't get enough. HS and the rest...
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Penny Lane

QuoteYeah, I'm the same way, Tracy... as much as a fanboy as I sound saying this, I was hooked as soon as I heard the opening riff. Love the song.

I agree that the song is a billion times better live - but so is everything else.

i agree--once i get some live stuff, i rarely even listen to the studio albums...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ycartrob

I prefer the studio versions of At Dawn material rather than live (other than Phone Went West)

Kenny76

I was surprised when I first heard it,  but I liked it right away.  It was a peanut butter pudding surprise!  It's just a really FUN song.  If the whole album was like that, it'd be a different story, but it's really cool that they made a song like that.   It's a good thing to throw in the mix during a concert.

DavidCrosby

....seems to be the song that everyone is most shocked by.....maybe they should have put a live version on the record but I dont think that it would have worked though....
listen to vinyl

rob

I think the song totally rocks on the CD. Same with I'm Amazed. Some of y'all must need better stereo systems. Ha! 'Stereo system'.......yeah I'm old school. Throw those 'ear-buds' out and crank that sucker open-air on  some high quality speakers.  
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

easy way

Yeah...How about that first bass drop right at the beginning of the verse. That shit is sooooooo Tommy B. gangsta! Gotta have a good 'stereo system' though. I felt like a badass in my dad's Escalade that day.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

liveon35mm

QuoteOut of the entire MMJ catalogue, the only song I can't stand on the studio versions is Highly Suspicious. I absolutely hate it when it randomly comes up on my ipod.. but tonight I saw it performed live for the first time.

Holy shit. I could not have been more wrong. The bassline was absolutely wicked, and the stage theatrics were funny. I just didn't 'get' the song. Anybody else have similar experiences?

I hoped it was better live, I was at the Forum but I still think it is the most irritating song of the millennium, especially if you play it after wordless chorus, probably their best song ever!

my morning jacket live @ the forum

ciao
Vale

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteOut of the entire MMJ catalogue, the only song I can't stand on the studio versions is Highly Suspicious. I absolutely hate it when it randomly comes up on my ipod.. but tonight I saw it performed live for the first time.

I hoped it was better live, I was at the Forum but I still think it is the most irritating song of the millennium, especially if you play it after wordless chorus, probably their best song ever!

my morning jacket live @ the forum

ciao
Vale

That's...just like your opinion, man....
God damn those shaky knees.

easy way

It all comes back to The Big Lebowski...