Jim James, M. Ward, & Conor Oberst 2 release album

Started by rats, Jul 07, 2008, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rats

haven't seen this mentioned here yet. anyway, i think it was billboard, not sure, but it has been reported that these 3 are putting out an album soon. don't think there is a release date set but i'm really lookin foward to this. jim james is using the name sec walkin for the album.

rats

here's all the info i got as of now......

Jim James, Conor Oberst, M. Ward Recording Together
Jim James to adopt "Asian country star" alter ego

Jim James photo by Autumn de Wilde

Jim James fronts My Morning Jacket, who just released a new album, Evil Urges. Conor Oberst takes the helm for any and all Bright Eyes doings, as well as doings taking place under his own name. And M. Ward-- though primarily a solo artist-- has garnered quite a bit of notice for his recent work with actress-ternt-sanga Zooey Deschanel in She & Him.

Point being, these are people with plenty going on for themselves. And yet, according to a tidbit in a recent Rolling Stone piece, these busy fellas have freed up enough time to whip up a collaborative LP. Woo! No other details right now, unfortunately. But there have been rumblings about these guys teaming up for a bit now.

James also offered another piece of highly suspicious news. Rolling Stone reports that  he's "making music as an alter ego he describes as an Asian country star named Sec Walkin (after the Evil Urges tune about walking)."

James told RS, "It's such a great country name, like Trace Adkins. Look for us at the top of the charts." Will do, goofball.

While you wait on that little doozy to come to fruition, look for My Morning Jacket on the road throughout the rest of the year-- all the way until New Year's Eve, when they'll play Madison Square Garden to ring in 2009.

Ghosts_on_TV

Thats been known for some time now. I also read it as the Sec Walkin thing would be a completely different thing.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

DaFunkyPrecedent

God damn those shaky knees.

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote.....um, thanks?

um, sure. (don't really know what you are talking about)

rats

well to you funny sarcastic people i apologize. i don't visit the boards every few hours a day and i've never seen it mentioned here. came across it on google when i was looking for jim james recordings and thought i'd share but i guess i'm late to the party. thanks for raining on my parade though, i still can't wait for this to happen. love all three of these guys...........seeing as how some of you are so well informed about this, do you happen to have anymore info than what i've posted, like whether or not they've started this project yet, when we may get a release etc.?

Ghosts_on_TV

The DARK

We've known about JJ, M Ward and Conor for a while now. I'm not sure where all the information came from, I'm not the most informed. The "Sec Walkin" alter ego we just found out about in the Rolling Stone article. We don't know if it's legit or if he was just screwing with RS.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Isobella

I don't care for Conor or M. Ward but hopefully they will back Jim on a few tunes.

brkndwnbus

QuoteI don't care for Conor or M. Ward but hopefully they will back Jim on a few tunes.

I find nothing wrong with not caring for Conor, but I died a little reading that you don't care for M. Ward. It hurt even worse that I am wearing a M. Ward t-shirt...anyhoo, anyone else think that a Ryan Adams, M. Ward and Jim James trio would be better? It would be rather interesting. They don't have any connections to each other like Conor, but it could be something awesome.

DaFunkyPrecedent

I mean, shit, ryan adams would ofcourse be great...so would jeff tweedy or shooter jennings or David Rawlings or jose gonzales or Gillian Welch or eddie veder or wayne coyne or someone from calexico or Lucinda Williams or the dude from Drive By Truckers or anyone for that matter.  But the thing is, Jim James isn't friends with Ryan Adams, he's friends with Conor and M. Ward.  That's why they're working together.  Thus, i think it's going to be a wonderful project because they all like each other, they have all worked together and all make wonderful music.  

LISTEN TO: I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - your mind will forever change about Conor.  
God damn those shaky knees.

Isobella

Sorry Brkndwnbus I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, it's not his music I don't like particularly, his voice just doesn't appeal to me.  Though i do think the language he employs seems a bit antiquated.

brkndwnbus

QuoteI mean, shit, ryan adams would ofcourse be great...so would jeff tweedy or shooter jennings or David Rawlings or jose gonzales or Gillian Welch or eddie veder or wayne coyne or someone from calexico or Lucinda Williams or the dude from Drive By Truckers or anyone for that matter.  But the thing is, Jim James isn't friends with Ryan Adams, he's friends with Conor and M. Ward.  That's why they're working together.  Thus, i think it's going to be a wonderful project because they all like each other, they have all worked together and all make wonderful music.  

LISTEN TO: I'm Wide Awake It's Morning - your mind will forever change about Conor.  

I have all of Conor's stuff. As I've said before, about 8 years ago, I was all about anything Bright Eyes. My interest drifted a little and after "Cassadaga" I had no interest in hearing anything new from him, although his solo album has me interested big time.

The Adams suggestion was just something I'd totally like to see. I know all about the friendship with James, Ward and Conor...saw the Monster of Folk tour...blah blah blah. It was just wishful thinking.

brkndwnbus

QuoteSorry Brkndwnbus I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, it's not his music I don't like particularly, his voice just doesn't appeal to me.  Though i do think the language he employs seems a bit antiquated.

I hear that a lot from my friends...the thing about his voice. I really like the way he sings with that raspy-whisper at times. After seeing him live and watching him play guitar, he quickly became one of my favorite guitarists.

Isobella

I recently read a study that stated that their is a biological basis for the timbre of voice that appeals to the individual.  This doesn't surprise me since all my favorite vocalist Jim, Jason Lytle, Mark Linkous, Wayne Coyne, Thom Yorke, and Glenn Danzig have similar voices.

scosby2

According to jambase.com's Newport Folk Festival review, one of the songs on the upcoming Jim/M./Conor album is an untitled track that M. Ward played with him at the festival. This has got to mean that Wonderful(The Way I Feel) will be on the new album. That's great!! It also says that Calexico is involved with the album as well. Now all they need to do is hurry up and find a label and get this thing released! Great review of the festival also by the way.

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/14714/Newport-Folk-Festival-08.02-08.03-RI

BH

Thanks scosby2!  I thought Wonderful might show up on that record!  Perfect.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.