Evil Urges is a concept album?

Started by RockNRollJunkie, Sep 01, 2008, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockNRollJunkie

Could you say EU is a concept album? It seems like that to me, or similar to one. It deffinately tells a story. Once I had all the lyrics infront of me in sequential order I had a new apreciation for the album. the song Evil Urges seems to be like an overture... Maybe everyone else knows all this and im just late on it.
But I'm curious. If you go look at the songs in order, what story does it tell you personally?

(remnants is the most interesting to me. I don't really like the song but the lyrics boggle my mind)
See mom, I have friends. I'm on a "forum".

The DARK

It's not like it's a rock opera or anything. But there was definitely a masterplan here. Evil Urges an overture, Touch Me 1 and 2 the bookends, and Two Halves the centerpiece; you could think about it that way. There's a whole theme of two-becomes-one throughout.
In another time, in another place, in another face

DaFunkyPrecedent

it has an old meets new feel for me...

God damn those shaky knees.

j_rud

I think "concept album" is a misunderstood phrase. You could go into the album making process with a few ideas (concepts) in mind and follow through on those, but still not have a unifying theme or universal thread that binds it all together.

For instance, I think the most obvious concept on Evil Urges is incorporating more soulful, R&B-ish elements. That can be heard everywhere, from the synth's to Jims voice on many of the tracks.

I think if there is a concept as far as subject matter I think its love and human connection. Love of self, love of others, and as the track Evill Urges suggests an openness and tolerance of things we might not be familiar with (including love).

So, do I think there is a story to be told on Evil Urges, complete with characters and a plot? Nahh, I dont. But do I think there is a somewhat coherent message, as well as consistent musical themes? Definitely. Not sure if that clears anything up, thats just my take on it.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

freeport

I picked up on a theme of human connection as well. There's also a non-human/robot thing going on too. It seems like there's a world full of everything anyone could want with underlying need for basic human interaction. It's a futuristic setting to me. I dig.

DaFunkyPrecedent

It's a story of Jim James searching, longing, loving, wondering, questioning etc.  This album has a more "personal" feel to it than the other albums.  One can really connect to the life and times of Jim.  

I like the idea though Evil Urges is the overture.  

The DARK

QuoteI picked up on a theme of human connection as well. There's also a non-human/robot thing going on too. It seems like there's a world full of everything anyone could want with underlying need for basic human interaction. It's a futuristic setting to me. I dig.

Yeah, I'm feeling that, too. It seems like he did a really good job of getting the themes across this time around.

The DARK

Almost forgot the obligatory post for this thread...  ;)

Evil Urges > Tommy

YouAre_GivenToFly

QuoteAlmost forgot the obligatory post for this thread...  ;)

Evil Urges > Tommy

whoa.... that's bold.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

j_rud

Evil Urges > Tommy
Only someone who has never truly immersed themselves in the Who could make that statement. I dont hold Tommy in as high regard as some Who fans, but its still a landmark album. Its not as good as Quadrophenia, which is my favorite album of all time. And if you start tossing out "evil urges>quadrophenia" comments, I shall challenge you to a duel.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Evil Urges > Tommy
Only someone who has never truly immersed themselves in the Who could make that statement. I dont hold Tommy in as high regard as some Who fans, but its still a landmark album. Its not as good as Quadrophenia, which is my favorite album of all time. And if you start tossing out "evil urges>quadrophenia" comments, I shall challenge you to a duel.

bearass

The DARK

Evil Urges > Tommy

I have never really understood Tommy as much as many Who fans have. It's not an album that I truly enjoy immersing myself in. Quadrophenia, however, I cannot and will not challenge. That album is the greatest rock opera .  

Though I cannot say it is in my top 5 all time, like Evil Urges is. ;)

Evil Urges is actually a lot like Sgt Peppers. It has an underlying concept. It experiments with every genre the bands could think of (really, no two songs on Evil Urges come from the same genre). They are both deeply layered with many levels of sound. And they both represent a band on a creative roll. I like Evil Urges more, however, mostly because I can relate to Jim's emotions so much. I really don't think that anyone else could have summed up the way I feel right now as well as Jim did.

I would like someone who loves Sgt. Peppers to explain to me why it is a better album than Evil Urges.

ycartrob

Evil Urges > Tommy

maybe this Tommy, but not The Who's Tommy

bearass

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quoteremember this?

not nearly as good as this...

bearass

j_rud

Quoteremember this?

Zimma!

DaFunkyPrecedent

fat old white people falling on the ground in little baseball uniforms is hilarious.

Love Dogg

Quoteremember this?

Or this!  That's how you dodge a punch.

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."