Top Five Albums from Men with Beards

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 28, 2005, 06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.independent.com/a&e/af988.htm

the indy list
Top Five Albums from Men with Beards

Much like grunge's goatees replaced new wave's hair gel, it seems that as low-fi and emo firm up their cultural stance, they're bringing back the full-blown beard. Here are 2005's best albums that feature bearded vocalists.

1. Calexico/Iron and Wine's In the Reins
2. The Church's El Momento Descidado
3. My Morning Jacket's Z
4. Anders Parker's Tell It to the Dust
5. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals' Jacksonville City Nights

Dee.

One minute Ryan will have a beard and the next it's gone.  He hardly qualifies. Devendra Banhart, on the other hand, bearded fellow 97% of the time.   8)

bearded lady

john martin solid air?

grandaddy software slump?

dragonboy

Quotejohn martin solid air?

Now there's a good Album...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ycartrob

Built to Spill is due for a new album out soon. Doug Martsch was sporting a full beard in da Ville a couple of weeks ago.

sweatboard

I've really been enjoying Built To Spill.  I'm a big fan of sonic youth and they have some of the same qualitys that I love about that band.  I would love to see them live and have em take me on some of those 15 - 20 min. excursions you talked about.  I downloaded one live show but the sound is really really crappy.
There's Still Time.........

monkmoose

Z - My Morning Jacket
American Beauty - The Grateful Dead
Mars Hotel - The Grateful Dead
Workingman's Dead - The Grateful Dead
Garcia - Jerry Garcia

ratsprayer

QuoteZ - My Morning Jacket
American Beauty - The Grateful Dead
Mars Hotel - The Grateful Dead
Workingman's Dead - The Grateful Dead
Garcia - Jerry Garcia

get off the weed, hippy.  this list is for 2005.   ;)

JacketGal

get off the weed, hippy.  this list is for 2005.   ;)
Blahahah!!!!!

I would add that The Black Crowes Amorica might be one of the top 5! :)
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

-Horsehead-

Blahahah!!!!!

I would add that The Black Crowes Amorica might be one of the top 5! :)
I could be wrong, but i don't think chris had a beard for amorica.

his solo album-this magnificent distance is another story entirely though.  He had the whole drifter look down.  In fact, he still does :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Easy Morning Rebel

[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

Foxtrot76

How about George Harrison's All Things Must Pass? He had a killer beard for that one....

dogandponyshow

Sleazy Rider

I f the list is indeed for this year Clutch-Robot Hive/Exodus needs to be on it somwhere.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

JacketGal

I could be wrong, but i don't think chris had a beard for amorica.

his solo album-this magnificent distance is another story entirely though.  He had the whole drifter look down.  In fact, he still does :)
Hey HH,I do believe ole CR had a beard for Amorica, but I could be wrong also. He also had one for the first solo record....:)

What about albums by guys with pencil thin moustaches? I think Dylan sould be on that one!

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

tomEisenbraun

:D

glad to see another clutch fan in here. I think that the robot album wasn't so good as Blast Tyrant. I love Blast Tyrant to death. is exodus more like it? I'm not lookin for a carbon copy of it, just somethin more heavy with the vocals sounding a little more similar.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Sleazy Rider

Not familiar with Blast Tyrant.  I've heard a little bit of Clutch all through out their career, but this is the first time I've actually been able to sit down and really listen to a full album.  Great heavy blues music in some psycho way.
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

tomEisenbraun

dude, i think you'd love blast tyrant. i think it's probably one of their best. i'm tryin to milk pure rock fury and Exodus out of my parents for christmas.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dwight

Isn't everyone forgetting the uber-influencial "The Band" - the brown album..

cubzfan18

get off the weed hippy?

what kind of audience do you think MMJ plays to? The Dead is what started it all baby. Without them MMJ or any of these new jamband/rootsy/heady bands wouldnt be doing jack.