The Way That He Sings

Started by purvis9876, Sep 11, 2008, 07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purvis9876

So I've wondering who, if anyone specific, Jim is singing about in this song. I look at some of the past threads on this topic and there were no real clear answers, and I was just curious if anyone had any new info or opinion on it. Thanks.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

MMJ_fanatic

I think he refers to Neil Young since Jim mentions listening to him with his Mom and her buying him Harvest.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Erik26

QuoteSo I've wondering who, if anyone specific, Jim is singing about in this song. I look at some of the past threads on this topic and there were no real clear answers, and I was just curious if anyone had any new info or opinion on it. Thanks.

Any answer you get is an opinion. Although some people on here seem to think they know exactly what Jim was thinking when he wrote songs, or what colour their shit is ect. Listen to the song and take from it what you want and that is what it means.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

The Drake

I think it's an autobiography.

Erik26

In my opinion it is like an "anti In Bloom"(Nirvana) type of song, with a great release or epiphany ay the end.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

Love Dogg

QuoteI think it's an autobiography.

Ditto squared!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

DaFunkyPrecedent

QuoteI think it's an autobiography.

Ditto squared!

double ditto triplified! :D
God damn those shaky knees.

slimkim

this might be the my favorite rendition...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3BHRnS50Mk

so good.

the newport folk fest version is pretty good also...

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

no, you are

i'm of the opinion that it's a song which anyone can relate to their favorite band or singer. much like how the first verse of golden is about the anticipation of playing a show, and pouring everything you have into it. or i'm wrong.

Janet

Dunno but I think I think the title is totally apropo since for the most part, it's not the words that he says (can't largely understand what he sings) it's the way that he sings.

That being said, the vocals and music create an incredible sonic landscape!

ultravisitor

I don't know who he is singing about, but for me this song has always been about the way I feel about Jim James.

ultravisitor

Quotethis might be the my favorite rendition...

so good.

o m g

Please tell me there is an mp3 and/or a video of this that I can download somewhere.

slimkim

Quotethis might be the my favorite rendition...

so good.

o m g

Please tell me there is an mp3 and/or a video of this that I can download somewhere.

i read on cnet that if you put a x in front of the youtube in the url it allows to download it.  try searchin on cnet for instructions...

isn;t that rendition just fuckin awesome !  that is what the song is about...

as stipe said... talk about the passion...

slim i am
there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

axround3r

For me too this song has always been about the feelings that come from Jim and his vox.

its just the way that he sings, but yeah the song could easily be interpreted for anyones favorite band or singer.

Kenny76

I don't know if I want to know who the song is about.  Could be about anyone.  I was happy to hear him sing it at the Boston show this year.   He still sings it as if he wrote it yesterday, which is a beautiful thing.