Song vs. Song Tournament

Started by maxc, Oct 09, 2008, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xmascriminal

Personally, I think that a song doesn't reaveal its true quality until you hear it live. It's too easy to manipulate things in the studio. A live performance is like an initiation rite. I didn't realize how good Sec Walkin', Highly Suspicious and Run Thru were until I saw them live.

Love Dogg

QuoteI think the important thing to remember is we are voting on the studio versions of these songs, not how much we like it live.  Example: the studio Run Thru is not as good as it has become live.

Really?  I was thinking of it as a song, taking into account the studio version, live versions, and the kitchen sink.  Or maybe not focusing on a performance of the song but on the composition.  That may be tough to separate especially for those without knowledge of songwriting.  I guess I could do it your way.

Well, I don't want anyone to think that I don't love the studio version of Run Thru, but to me it is the "Let's run down there and bang one of those heffers" version, as the Okonokos version is the "Let's walk down there and bang them all!"

It's kinda tough, really...and I guess everyone can vote how they want, but when we were forced to choose between Heartbreakin' Man and Wordless Chorus, I went with WC because it I remember being impacted by it moreso than HM.  However, after hearing HM at the Louisville show, it blew my fooking mind!  So....  :-/
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

BH

So is the entire bracket "set" so to speak, or will you "reseed" after every round?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

xmascriminal

xmascriminal

Okay, I've looked into it and we can definitely do a losers tournament. The only question is, do you guys want to do it before or after the b-sides?

aMillionDreams

I'm more interested in the b-sides tournament.  I think least favorite song would actually be fun, though a bit weird.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

xmascriminal

Least favorite would be fun. Is that what you guys meant? By losers, I thought we'd have a tournament with the 32 songs that got knocked out round one (since people were upset about Where to Begin and so on). If I got it wrong, we can switch it up. If not, we can do both. Let me know.

purvis9876

QuoteLeast favorite would be fun. Is that what you guys meant? By losers, I thought we'd have a tournament with the 32 songs that got knocked out round one (since people were upset about Where to Begin and so on). If I got it wrong, we can switch it up. If not, we can do both. Let me know.

Both. I like these!  ;D
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

easy way

Maybe we can take this all the way to One Big final four matchup. It could consist of:
1. The winner of the 64 LP's bracket
2. The winner of the 32 B sides bracket
3. The winner of the Losers (from the 64 LP's bracket)
4. The winner of the Losers (from the 32 B sides bracket)

***of course you would vote for your favorite in all four brackets.

This would make for an all inclusive, balls out, kick ass tourny. Everyone who is crushed over their team/song getting the early boot would still have a hope for the reckoning in the ultimate final four matchup. How 'bout it...do YOU have the stones for this kinda shit!?  ;)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

purvis9876

QuoteMaybe we can take this all the way to One Big final four matchup. It could consist of:

This would make for an all inclusive, balls out, kick ass tourny. Everyone who is crushed over their team/song getting the early boot would still have a hope for the reckoning in the ultimate final four matchup. How 'bout it...do YOU have the stones for this kinda shit!?  ;)

I think this would be excellent, but I just don't know how much pressure xmas can handle. Maybe someone should offer a little help(if needed of course).

Not It!  ;D

xmascriminal

QuoteMaybe we can take this all the way to One Big final four matchup. It could consist of:

Yeah, let's do it. Definitely. And after that's all over, we can do a least favorite tournament too. I'm more than willing to do this stuff for as long as it takes. My schedule might get a little more sporadic around Christmas time, but there's not even a question now. We're doing this. I don't need any help. I'm having too much fun. :D :D :D :D

BH

I love every idea except for the "least favorite" vote.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

xmascriminal

I was planning on leaving whether we do that one or not up to you guys. I personally think it'd be really interesting. However, we'll definitely do what Easy Way suggested.

easy way

QuoteI love every idea except for the "least favorite" vote.

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the 'least favorite' game. The way I see it is that MMJ is a progressive movement. Bringing a counter system into such a wonderful place will not deter the machine, but could bring about some unwanted {{{vibes}}} to our land. Also, you never know how someone may take such a criticism on their 'holy grail' tune being the least favorite. The boys are saving lives so I say we keep it moving forward.  :)
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

easy way

Yeah, let's do it. Definitely. And after that's all over, we can do a least favorite tournament too. I'm more than willing to do this stuff for as long as it takes. My schedule might get a little more sporadic around Christmas time, but there's not even a question now. We're doing this. I don't need any help. I'm having too much fun. :D :D :D :D

Nice enthusiasm xmas! I'm glad you're having as much fun with this as we are. Thanks again... :)

purvis9876

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the 'least favorite' game. The way I see it is that MMJ is a progressive movement. Bringing a counter system into such a wonderful place will not deter the machine, but could bring about some unwanted {{{vibes}}} to our land. Also, you never know how someone may take such a criticism on their 'holy grail' tune being the least favorite. The boys are saving lives so I say we keep it moving forward.  :)

But also keep in mind that we are all voting on personal opinion. We are all big boys and girls, and I can promise my feelings won't be hurt if mine is low or last. People not liking is not going to change my opinion of loving it. I say to do the least favorite.

easy way

But also keep in mind that we are all voting on personal opinion. We are all big boys and girls, and I can promise my feelings won't be hurt if mine is low or last. People not liking is not going to change my opinion of loving it. I say to do the least favorite.

Right on...I'm just not hip to it, but I'm having a blast with this one. Very grown up attitude, btw.  ;D

purvis9876

Right on...I'm just not hip to it, but I'm having a blast with this one. Very grown up attitude, btw.  ;D

After I posted it, I thought it seemed a bit assy in tone. But, I'm glad to see the humor was seen in it. I'm not even sure what being grown up is thesedays.. :D