Smokin' from Shootin'.......

Started by maddon, Oct 10, 2008, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddon

I'm feeling this song!  BLOODY QUALITY!

That intro. has a real Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon feel.  Right up until jim sings that is.  Got that cool tapping, weird laugh, quiet little bell ring and that slide guitar!   GENIUS!

Anyone heard this live?
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

getinthevan

I've heard it live twice.  It's just as good, if not better than it is on the album.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

BH

Make sure you listen to the Jim solo version if you havn't already.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

walterfredo

This has actually been my favorite tune on EU since I first gave it a listen.  Goosebumps.  

easy way

Yes sir...I've said it before and I'll say it again. One of the most...if not the most important contribution on EU. It's hot live and the Jim solo is just killer.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

SmokinShootin

I didn't truly appreciate it until I stoped to listen to the lyrics, they are amazing.  I haven't heard the solo Jim version, but i'll be looking for it.

jonahspark

This was a great live one in Portland.

weeniebeenie

Definitely my favourite song off EU.
How loud can silence get?

easy way

QuoteI didn't truly appreciate it until I stoped to listen to the lyrics, they are amazing.  I haven't heard the solo Jim version, but i'll be looking for it.

A powerful force...those lyrics.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

axround3r

good call on the dark side of the moon call the laughs sounds just like it. dondante also reminds me of the Floyd alot due to its real eerie feel

Janet

I actually prefer the Jim solo version over the album version.  I like this song more every time I hear it.

The DARK

I still can't believe we already had to sacrifice it to the One Big Holiday machine in Bracket Attack.  :'(
In another time, in another place, in another face

easy way

QuoteI still can't believe we already had to sacrifice it to the One Big Holiday machine in Bracket Attack.  :'(

I hear ya. Some of those matchups are brutal...thanks to xmas for the extended tournament.  ;)

BH

Can't wait to see the Austin City Limits version!  I'm gonna be wearin' that one out.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

QuoteI actually prefer the Jim solo version over the album version.  I like this song more every time I hear it.

I need to find/download a JJ solo where he plays this

Help?  :-X
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

QuoteI actually prefer the Jim solo version over the album version.  I like this song more every time I hear it.

St. David's church, soundboard version that was streamed on NPR.  I will have to look for it Monday.

capt. scotty

St. David's church, soundboard version that was streamed on NPR.  I will have to look for it Monday.

Okay, I listened to part of that show but I guess I didnt get that far

You know if its on megaupload or somewhere that I can get that show on CD?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

Okay, I listened to part of that show but I guess I didnt get that far

You know if its on megaupload or somewhere that I can get that show on CD?

Capt, the whole thing, along with M. Ward's set is here --->

http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2008-03-15.aud.flac16

Somebody recorded the soundboard version with just the Jim set that was on NPR stream.   I have it on CD but I can't find the link.  I will re-upload if you still want it.

at dawn

here's the link to that show if anyone's still interested:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91719100

I'm listening to it right now.    ::)

JacketGal

This tune owns live. At first I was like - sure, it's good...but then it just burst  out at me in flying colors and sounds. It's surreal.

I have to hit repeat at least 3x when I listen to EV.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.