Main Menu

Badass

Started by capt._headdy, Jan 21, 2009, 01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Maybe someone's posted this before, but Ive never seen it, and it is quite possibly the greatest version of OBH Ive ever seen

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaShj6NJyG4&feature=related[/media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaShj6NJyG4&feature=related

I never even knew that theyve played OBH together acoustic. I also found out that the mentally disabled have better musical tastes than 90% of the population. Those kids were rocking out!!!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ghosts_on_TV

That was last years. I've seen it, but nothing wrong with posting it here. Great, great version. Pretty sure Ms. Yvon was there. Right?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

Yeah, says its from November 07, Ive just never heard a full band acoustic OBH before...didnt know 1 existed, not that I have an extensive live catalogue though. I think I need to work on that.

....Im guessing you saw that debut album draft some here did a month back? Im doin one on acoustic songs now (because Im addicted to these things), and it just hit me this is the perfect pick

I feel like that dude in PCU whose thesis is on Hackman and Caine movies always being on  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

goose

QuoteYeah, says its from November 07, Ive just never heard a full band acoustic OBH before...didnt know 1 existed, not that I have an extensive live catalogue though. I think I need to work on that.

....Im guessing you saw that debut album draft some here did a month back? Im doin one on acoustic songs now (because Im addicted to these things), and it just hit me this is the perfect pick

I feel like that dude in PCU whose thesis is on Hackman and Caine movies always being on  :D

And then once you find it, you can party with the rest of us.  That movie kicks ass.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

Love Dogg

Quote...it is quite possibly the greatest version of OBH Ive ever seen...

Oh, man...I forgot about this.  Thanks for posting.   :D
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

buymycar

It is not easy to play the Bridge School Benefit concert.

20,000+ fans, packed together in a huge amphitheater.

And you're supposed to play acoustic?  With decades-long Neil Young Rusties evaluating everything you do?

MMJ passed the test.

So much so that they got a standing ovation after OBH.  That doesn't happen often to Bridge School Benefit virgin acts.

After MMJ tore up the stage, Tom Waits came shortly after and tore it up himself with the help of the Kronos Quartet.

Metallica also played those two nights, but I really think MMJ and Tom Waits stole the shows.

Love Dogg

QuoteIt is not easy to play the Bridge School Benefit concert.

20,000+ fans, packed together in a huge amphitheater.

And you're supposed to play acoustic?  With decades-long Neil Young Rusties evaluating everything you do?

MMJ passed the test.

So much so that they got a standing ovation after OBH.  That doesn't happen often to Bridge School Benefit virgin acts.

I didn't realize it was like that.  All the more impressive.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

capt. scotty

Is this an annual benefit im guessing??

What city and venue??

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteIs this an annual benefit im guessing??

What city and venue??

Yeah, it is. Neil Young throws it every year in San Fran, I think (?)

Can't think of the venue name. It's for Cerebal Palsy, which one of his kids has. Also the inspiration for Trans.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Elizanne33

It's at the Shoreline in Mountain View.

goose

Whatever or Whereever it is, It's pretty awesome of old Neil to do this.  It's always cool to see the celebs giving back.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

AMightyCaporal

the opening build up of this song always gives me the chills. always!
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

AMightyCaporal

can someone tell me why i never listened to tom waits before? someone please tell me an album of his to get.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

ms. yvon

yes!

good call ghosts, i was there!

the bridge school benefit has been held every year for a little over 20 years, i think.  (i was still living in the bay area when it started, and i haven't lived there since 1989).  it is the primary fund raiser for the bridge school.  the school describes itself in this way, "An innovative organization educating children with severe speech and physical impairments."

without being too much of a windbag:  the event is really special.  i went again this year.  the crowd is so warm, the location lovely, the music so good.  (well, josh groban played this year, but we all need time to grab a taco.)

when mmj launched into obh i remember laughing out loud at the badass-ness of song selection.  what a great pair of shows that was.  there's a set list rolling around in the archive if you want to see what else they played.
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

xmascriminal

Quotecan someone tell me why i never listened to tom waits before? someone please tell me an album of his to get.

Tom Waits is the man. I recommend Rain Dogs and Mule Variations for beginners. He really is an album guy, but if you're looking for an overview, Beautiful Maladies is a great best of.

And Ms. Yvon, do you know what the "new song" was they played the first night?

buymycar

Quotecan someone tell me why i never listened to tom waits before? someone please tell me an album of his to get.

Tom Waits is the man. I recommend Rain Dogs and Mule Variations for beginners. He really is an album guy, but if you're looking for an overview, Beautiful Maladies is a great best of.

'twas Wonderful(The Way I Feel)

ycartrob

xmascriminal

Was it played by everybody, or just Jim?

buymycar

Was it played by everybody, or just Jim?

The whole band.  The only song the whole band did not play on the entire weekend was Bermuda Highway, if I recall correctly.

There are pretty solid recordings of both nights available at the LMA on archive.org.

There's an absolutely gorgeous rendition of Just One Thing from night 2 that features Bo playing Neil Young's pump organ.